Drunk driver asleep at the wheel of Tesla Model S doing 70mph

That's interesting.

2 things:

When do LE agencies get an electronic override? Send a comman to stop? Send a command to lock the doors and drive to the nearest police station?

When does the first Tesla take over after a medical event and drives to the nearest ER?

That's interesting.

2 things:

When do LE agencies get an electronic override? Send a comman to stop? Send a command to lock the doors and drive to the nearest police station?

When does the first Tesla take over after a medical event and drives to the nearest ER?

3. What happens when the Teslas become self-aware?

Most DUI laws are written such that just being in a running car while drunk is illegal, even if it’s in park.

In many places, you can be ticketed for DUI sitting in your parked car with the key in the ignition, even if the engine is off.

In many places, you can be ticketed for DUI sitting in your parked car with the key in the ignition, even if the engine is off.

The keys don't have to be in the ignition, they could be in your pocket while you are on your own property.

Supposedly the thought process behind that is if the keys are in the ignition or just on your person you are still in control of the keys and could possibly drive. Someone actually came up with that idea and got it passed.

Believe me, I am all for stopping drunk driving, but sometimes it goes too far.

Yeah, but can he still get a medical... That is the real question...

I thought @flyingcheesehead wrote that the car issues reminders if the driver does not put their hand on the wheel at regular intervals while on autopilot?

I thought @flyingcheesehead wrote that the car issues reminders if the driver does not put their hand on the wheel at regular intervals while on autopilot?
At least one story about the incident says it's "unusual" the autopilot didn't automatically slow down the car and pull over to the side of the road if the driver was unresponsive to attempts to alert him/her, assuming it was actually turned on.
https://futurism.com/seven-minutes-miles-pull-over-drunk-sleeping-tesla-driver
It’s unusual given the fact that Tesla’s Autopilot feature will aggressively blink, and beep at the driver if they are unresponsive or don’t have both hands on the steering wheel. That is, if Autopilot was actually turned on. The feature will also automatically slow the car down on the side of the road if the driver doesn’t react.

The steering wheel requires a slight torque to be applied to ensure your hand is on the wheel. However, this safety feature can be defeated, and there are videos on YouTube showing how.

...and he hadn’t filed a flight plan!:eek:

Here's a video from a guy that recorded what his Tesla would do if he "fell asleep":

Here's a video from a guy that recorded what his Tesla would do if he "fell asleep":

They stopped that video just before that 18 wheeler smashed through his boot
I called it a boot because that is what they call it in many places where they drive on the wrong side of the road.

There are no keys in a Tesla. Nor engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No key, but a transponder. And the car does have to be switched on before it will go anywhere, although switching it on really just lights up the displays. Like a golf cart, nothing really happens until you step on the gas (or you've turned on "creep" mode and take your foot off the brake).

An interesting sidelight was a follow up story that showed they pulled this guy over by having a police car move in front of him and gradually slow down to keep make the autopilot avoid the collision. I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to trust Tesla technology that way, but hell, I'm not a sworn officer.

Point understood, but we still say things are being "filmed", taped", dialed, and so forth even though actual film, audio tape, and a rotary dial aren't actually used.

Point understood, but we still say things are being "filmed", taped", dialed, and so forth even though actual film, audio tape, and a rotary dial aren't actually used.
I should have put a smiley after my post. I knew exactly what and how you meant it, and I would probably have used the same term. But you gotta admit, when you say "step on the gas" in a thread about a car who's main feature is that it doesn't use gas, you have to expect someone to say something.
:biggrin: :cheerswine:

I should have put a smiley after my post. I knew exactly what and how you meant it, and I would probably have used the same term. But you gotta admit, when you say "step on the gas" in a thread about a car who's main feature is that it doesn't use gas, you have to expect someone to say something.
:biggrin: :cheerswine:

Because POA is full of anal pedants? :devil:

So,now they’re going to have a breathalyzer,before activating the auto pilot function.

Back