Drove my plane into town (Beaumont Hotel)

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
In 2013, I went to an AOPA summit and "Flying Getaways" played this video of people flying to this strip, driving their plane into town, and it looked so cool.

I did it today. Anyone else?

In hindsight, I should have just landed and drove into town, I opted to stay at the hotel.
It is a little scary. The population of the town is 37 and the hotel is not ideal. I am thinking of going out and sleeping in the plane. The room has a significant amount of dead bugs in it. Like Really significant. And some live (but dying bugs too)

Speaking of "Flying Getaways", a flying getaway, just buzzed my head.

The taxiing in part was awesome. I am glad I did that. The rest.. I should have done differently.

Seems like a cool place based on the internet results; never heard of it before. Im sure they appreciated the business. Looks like most of the town dried up and blew away.

Hope you got a picture of the water tower.

I did
Seems like a cool place based on the internet results; never heard of it before. Im sure they appreciated the business. Looks like most of the town dried up and blew away.

Hope you got a picture of the water tower.

07S? (Sorry if you said the ID, I watched without sound). I like the "OCCASIONAL LARGE ROUND HAY BALES BOTH SIDES OF RUNWAY." notice.

Ok I have questions.

first off, yes it’s a bucket list item to do that

but you said “should have parked the plane and drove into town” but also said “the taxiing part was awesome, I’m glad I did that”

We begged off going to Kansas this weekend. Hot enough here let alone go hang out where it’s 102 degrees.

Do I complain to the FAA or the local police for running the stop sign?
Which certificate would they go after?

:)

Several decades ago I did it on a student cross-country. It was very cool in a bucket list kind of way. The hotel was decent back then with a good lunch.

"in the day" the local cop would meet you at the hotel and give you a ceremonial ticket for running the stop sign.

In 2013, I went to an AOPA summit and "Flying Getaways" played this video of people flying to this strip, driving their plane into town, and it looked so cool.

In hindsight, I should have just landed and drove into town, I opted to stay at the hotel.
It is a little scary. The population of the town is 37 and the hotel is not ideal. I am thinking of going out and sleeping in the plane. The room has a significant amount of dead bugs in it. Like Really significant. And some live (but dying bugs too)

The taxiing in part was awesome. I am glad I did that. The rest.. I should have done differently.

Headed to Wichita for the weekend shenanigans at Stearman I take it?

I go there all the time for breakfast. I'm local so haven't stayed in the hotel but the food is decent and it's a neat place to visit.

The strip slopes down to the south a fair bit (for the flatlands) so I only go when the wind favors runway 18 since the Cardinal is a bit underpowered for an uphill takeoff if we have much of a load.

Last edited:
Bryan, your description reminds me of a hotel I stopped in back in college when I was hauling cars around the country. I-80 across northern Nevada doesn't have much at all. I normally would stay at a Motel 6 or whatever other cheap ($50/night or less) hotel I could find. I passed a Motel 6 and thought "I can go another 50 miles to the next town." The only motel in town was very sketchy. I was given a key to a room and walked out to find the door already open, lots of bugs similar to yours. I about turned around and left but I was tired and decided that I should sleep.

More blatant YouTuber lawlessness. If it ain’t calling clear of the runway early, it’s running stop signs

I’m told the cop will ticket you for real if you run the stop sign. Haven’t been there, but several of our EAA chapter members have, it’s a regular stop for lunch flyouts.

It looked like he did a proper California courtesy stop to me.

Have always wanted to do that place. Sad to hear the hotel may be going somewhat downhill.

I spent the occasional night in those way back when traveling for work and really have no desire to do that anymore.

“Name that stain game” is a life twenty years -ish ago that I’m not enthusiastically going to repeat. LOL

The runway looks a lot better than it did in 1971 which is the last time I was there! Used to have a double stop sign, one above the other to accommodate low wing and high wing airplanes.

Back