Dropping flaps while in a turn

I apply flaps in a base or final turn every time I fly and do pattern work. It's a yawn. The only consideration is to make sure Vfe is not exceeded.

Last edited:
The only FAA recommendation I can find is this, from Airplane Flying Handbook:

The time of flap extension and the degree of deflection are related. Large flap deflections at one single point in the landing pattern produce large lift changes that require significant pitch and power changes in order to maintain airspeed and descent angle. Consequently, the deflection of flaps at certain positions in the landing pattern has definite advantages. Incremental deflection of flaps on downwind, base leg, and final approach allow smaller adjustment of pitch and power compared to extension of full flaps all at one time.

They seem to be recommending flaps be deployed while on specific legs in the pattern, not while turning from one to another in the pattern.

Works for me!

Are any simulators set up to simulate split flaps?

Are their any trainers capable of split flaps upon command?

I would love to try it.

I apply flaps in a base or final turn every time I fly and do pattern work. It's a yawn. The only consideration is to make sure Vfe is not exceeded.
But that's with a CTLS, other planes are more sensitive to flap changes, and require trim changes at the same time, and maybe the pilot is not familiar with their plane. So now you have a pilot making a turn, checking for traffic, maybe making a radio call "XYZ turning base...", changing flaps with 1 hand and opps, they need to trim with the other....now it's getting busy...
I would teach new pilots to just fly the plane during turns, make flap changes on rollout

Hello everyone.
Most of the advantages and disadvantages of flap use were covered in this thread and I will not try to go over them again. I will describe what I do, and it may work for others.
As a disclaimer, I do Not recommend this technique to beginners and or people that are not very familiar with the way their particular Make / Model aircraft behaves.
This works well for aircraft that pitch up (nose up) with the deployment of flaps, doing Pattern work.
Make sure you are stabilized, proper RPM to maintain level flight at desired speed. in the Flap range speed, say 80 for Cessna high wing.

Downwind no flaps, as you turn base set 1st notch, this will counter act the tendency of pitch up, better look ahead visibility and reduce speed, as you turn final add 2nd notch, depending, wind speed, etc. on the conditions you can add / or not, the rest, to get you at the proper Altitude and airspeed at the desired touch down location.

If you've done everything right, you may have to make some adjustments from plane to plane, you should be over the threshold at the proper speed, good forward view of the runway, no retrim, and properly configured. TV

What happens with a multi-engine / split flaps scenario? Is the asymmetrical drag overcome with asymmetrical thrust?

In the heat of the moment that is too much to think about. You first instinct would be to use aileron to counteract it, then try to correct the problem by putting the flaps back to where they were before the problem came about. If ailerons didn't cut it, then I might consider using asymmetric thrust.

Back