Dropping flaps while in a turn

Since I took some time to compose the post below for the prior thread, I thought I might copy/paste it for this'd who missed it the first time around...

Let me tell a little story…

First, the plane:

It’s a 1976 Cessna 172. 8,352 hours, used regularly as a trainer, but generally well maintained.

But on the left flap actuating rod, right adjacent to the jam nut, there’s a hairline fracture that would need a magnifying glass to see. Its the result of more than one overstress as a student has put down flaps above Vfe. The crack is about 3/4 of the way through the rod and about to let go. In fact, its going to fail on the very next flight, as the flaps go from 10º to 20º, and the split flap situation it causes will roll the airplane left at about 30º/second.

Second, the pilots:

Bob was one of my students. From the first touch and goes, we only applied flaps in straight and level flight - 10º on downwind, 20º on base and full flaps on final with the field made. I emphasized it was safest to deploy flaps when level, and to plan his patterns to do so. I explained that while split flaps were extremely rare, they can and did happen and if they ever did, he’d be more likely to recognize what was going on and deal with it if the uncommanded roll began from wings level. Anyway, it became a habit, which was my intention, and now with 550 hours he no longer even really thinks about it.

Carol was not a student of mine. Though she was taught a similar use of flaps in the pattern, her instructor never really emphasized that there was any specific reason she only deployed flaps while on a leg in the pattern, and not while turning. Now, with 1,200 hours she pretty much puts down flaps whenever and wherever in the pattern she feels like it, and has the skill to do so. Just not an issue, and not worth worrying about.

Finally, the fateful day.

Bob has just rolled out on base, is in a good position and altitude and reaches for the flap switch to go to 20º. The right flap obediently goes to 20º right as the left flap control rod fails and the left flap retracts completely. In the two seconds of “deer in the headlights” adrenaline-spiked delay, the 172 has rolled 60º left into a 60º bank. He finally responds by pushing forward and applying opposite aileron, which stops the roll and seems to barely be decreasing the bank. Finally it dawns on him to undo the last thing he did and he retracts the flaps, regaining normal control. Whew! He leaves the flaps alone, gets back in the pattern and makes an acceptable no-flap landing and taxis in with the left flap dangling free. What a story!

Carol, like Bob, put down 10º of flaps on downwind. Now, as she rolls into her typical 30º bank for the turn to base, she figures its a good time to deploy the next “notch” of flaps. The right flap obediently goes to 20º right as the left flap control rod fails and the left flap retracts completely. In the two seconds of “deer in the headlights” adrenaline-spiked delay, the 172 has rolled 60º left into a 90º bank. This is not something she has ever seen before - the 172 in knife edged flight on its way to being inverted. She responds reflexively, kicking right (top) rudder while pulling back on the stick - as most pilots untrained in aerobatics will do when inverted. The airport security cameras catch it all, and the NTSB report mentioned some combination of “Split-S” and “Snap Roll/Spin” in the accident report. No need to mention that it was a fatality.

The above scenarios are not being put forth for the benefit of the grizzled, high time pilots who have been doing what they’ve been doing, one way or another, for decades and thousands of hours. I know all about old dogs and new tricks, and how anyone chooses to fly does not really impact me one way or another.

But I would advise any prospective, student or new pilot to carefully consider the above scenarios and how you might respond to each. And to look carefully for the well reasoned argument that deploying flaps in turns is somehow necessary. Cropdusters and airliners and specific cases aside, I just have not heard any convincing argument.

But That’s Just Me!™

So would Bob or you be guilty of manslaughter for not getting the airplane grounded as un-airworthy prior to Carol's flight?

Probably not, given "...on the left flap actuating rod, right adjacent to the jam nut, there’s a hairline fracture that would need a magnifying glass to see."

Unless you hold that you use a magnifying glass on every preflight, or that every failure can be spotted ahead of time.

Edited to add:

Oh, wait. Did you read the two accounts as being sequential?

I thought it was clear I meant they were alternative possibilities that could stem from the same failure, but with different pilots.

If that wasn't clear, my bad.

Last edited:
Probably not, given "...on the left flap actuating rod, right adjacent to the jam nut, there’s a hairline fracture that would need a magnifying glass to see."

Unless you hold that you use a magnifying glass on every preflight, or that every failure can be spotted ahead of time.

You missed the point. Your story, if taken as non-fiction, involves one airplane that had a flap failure on Bob's flight, yet was flown later by Carol that same day. Bob or the operator allowed an obviously un-airworthy to continue to be flown.

Sorry, just making trouble with your instructing tale. Unless you are claiming this sequence of events really happened....

A more serious criticism of your tale is that you posit a failure a rare failure on a side of the plane and a time in the pattern that maximizes your point. Surely one can posit tales of inopportune jammed rudder or yoke or stick that attempt to teach some other flying rule of thumb that yields a "um, yeah, right" response?

As I said in my edit, that was not meant to be linear story telling.

It was to point out that the same failure could have different, and potentially more dangerous, consequences if the failure occurred while in a bank.

I guess I needed to make that more clear.

Sorry.

Finally, in searching for that post it again became clear that this is very old and tired ground. One can really dredge up that prior thread and find all these same arguments.

Last edited:
Very informative, thanks for the replies everyone. Because of the chance of one flap not extending the way it should and the potential to fail, it does seem to be good practice to just deploy flaps while in level flight. Thanks again!

How many fatal accidents attributed to asymmetric flap deployment?

If that happens in cruise, you have a lot of altitude available to turn into extra speed to get more aileron effectiveness. If it happens turning final at less than 400 AGL, your options are a lot fewer. Now, I'm not saying I think this is a valid argument, but it's what I was told when I was a Student Pilot, and I present it merely to answer the original question of why people say not to extend flaps while turning in the pattern.

Why would you put flaps down in cruise? The situation discussed here is split flap in the pattern while turning verses split flap while wings level in the pattern. I think the point made was valid. If the split flap is uncontrollable in a turn it will be equally uncontrollable while wings level. Not much difference in my opinion. As for your reference to your primacy of learning....all of my students were taught to use the flaps whenever they were needed and fly the airplane accordingly. So I guess those folks are all sitting around at the local airport when this topic comes up and wondering what all the fuss is about.

Right above -- but not on -- the pavement is the one place where I don't play with flaps. It can make abrupt changes in track, and will certainly place the airplane out of trim.

Obstacle clearance is done by pulling power to idle when clearing the obstacle, and can be steepened by a somewhat slower approach speed. Even a 172 will obviously steepen the approach when pulling power from 1500 to idle, especially at full flap. Works well even with redwoods around.

I think you misunderstood my point; a T/O from a runway with a displaced threshold or obstacle on final typically results in less landing runway than T/O runway. And I was thinking grass which is where I typically find myself dumping flaps.

So what did you do when you had a straight in approach??
I think they should teach it based on altitude: @1000, @800, @600, then you will be stabilized for the last 500.

I never had a straight in approach in primary training.

I never had a straight in approach in primary training.

Nontower airport I assume? You can have: downwind, straight in, or intercept L/R base at a towered airport, depending on the direction you're coming from of course. If on instruments then it's straight in, or circle to land, which is straight in on a different runway, the circling to land on the active runway, I wouldn't try that at a non towered airport with any traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Obviously you do otherwise you would not be doing the following:
Again, if you used some other keys other than position in the pattern, then you don't have to change your method for a non standard pattern. Or if the controller gives you a straight approach, do you say "unable, request downwind entry"?

No, I fly a straight in approach with no flaps until the last 1/4 mile or so. They'll likely want me to keep my speed up and there will be plenty of runway.

And using altitude works for any approach, including an IFR where you can't see the runway.

Noting could be further from the truth as there are lots of other factors to be taken into account.

Slips with flaps. Slips with flaps. Nyaaa, nya, nya, nya, nyaaaaaa :D

Dunno if this thread has been the least productive since the famous ZOOM thread - but it has to be close. Really close

For those of you who do not understand the context of the first sentence - you are much too young to be flying.

cheers,
denny-o and Fat Albert The Apache

Flap failures do happen. When I was freshly licensed some 20-odd years ago on a flight from Miami to Key West my 152 suddenly dropped the nose and slowed then returned to normal flight. A few second later it happened again. It wasn't long before I noticed that my flaps were extending and retracting by themselves, at cruise. I waited for them to retract and pulled the fuse. I imagine it was a short of some kind but lucky for me it affected both flaps and not just one of them. I can see one of them failing to deploy, which I would not want to happen in a turn. We're not all highly experienced with lots of currency. Today I am lucky if I go once a month.

Incident Case#ERA09IA009 is an example of a Cirrus deploying flaps asymmetrically and the plane starting an uncommanded roll on the approach.

Your instructor taught you well.

Your instructor taught you well.

Again borrowed from the prior thread:

Here's how my presentation to a student might go:

First, every time you reach for the flap switch, first glance at the airspeed indicator to make sure you're in the white arc. Do it every time and point to it and tell me you're doing it.

Second, we'll try not to put down flaps while turning. We'll do 10º on downwind, 20º on base, and go to full flaps on final. You should normally have plenty of time - plan ahead and you'll have more than enough time for flaps on the straight legs.

The reason is that sometimes one flap can fail, and if that happens, the plane will start what seems to be an uncommanded roll. You'll be in a slightly better position to recognize what's going on if you start from unbanked flight. It really hardly ever happens, but its still a good habit to get into."

For that advice, at least one here has suggested students would be well advised to run away from me as an instructor.

So be it.

Last edited:
What has the NTSB said about all the fatal accidents resulting from split flap deployments in a turn?

First, every time you reach for the flap switch, first glance at the airspeed indicator to make sure you're in the white arc. Do it every time and point to it and tell me you're doing it.

Second, we'll try not to put down flaps while turning. We'll do 10º on downwind, 20º on base, and go to full flaps on final. You should normally have plenty of time - plan ahead and you'll have more than enough time for flaps on the straight legs.

The reason is that sometimes one flap can fail, and if that happens, the plane will start what seems to be an uncommanded roll. You'll be in a slightly better position to recognize what's going on if you start from unbanked flight. It really hardly ever happens, but its still a good habit to get into."

For that advice, at least one here has suggested students would be well advised to run away from me as an instructor.

So be it.

:confused: You didnt tell them how to correct for the situation. You could tell them, "When you are changing flap settings, leave your hand on the switch. If the plane does a strange roll, you probably have a split flap and you should retract them immediately until the rolling force goes away."

It warns them of the potential and how to correct for it. Doesn't matter if you are straight or in a bank, you still need to do the same thing.

So be it.

That's the way I was taught to handle flaps and have ever since. The story you told also makes pretty good sense. I wonder why some people so opposed to sound logical advice :dunno: I'd fly under your instruction willingly, if it helps any.

Haven't experienced an asymmetrical flap failure yet, but during one of my first few lessons for my Private I caught the flaps not working during the run-up (the instructor wasn't paying attention enough with me being almost brand new and I caught it on a fluke after running up the engine).

I have been taught "wait to extend flaps until you are level" so for example, if im in the pattern and i put 10 degrees down on downwind and im in the turn to base i should wait until i roll out of the turn to put the next notch of flaps in. Does this really effect aerodynamics? Do you have to wait to be level to put flaps in? This is flying a 152/172

that might be fine if you fly rectangles your entire career. Real-world flying, you need to know how and understand that it is no big deal, to put flaps out while in a turn.

Given the flaps are inboard and ailerons outboard with a long moment arm I am curious about the result of a split flap deployment. The inboard position would result in more yaw and less roll than we get from ailerons, I think.

I don't think it's particularly dangerous to deploy flaps in a turn, unless it's a downwind turn....:eek:

Nontower airport I assume? You can have: downwind, straight in, or intercept L/R base at a towered airport, depending on the direction you're coming from of course. If on instruments then it's straight in, or circle to land, which is straight in on a different runway, the circling to land on the active runway, I wouldn't try that at a non towered airport with any traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Correct. And the closest towered airports were about 50nm away in proximity to Charlie airspaces. Too far for us to regularly venture. Of course our dual cross countries always went to one for those. I completed my PPL with the bare minimum of controlled airspace experience, and that was not the right way to do it.

I can clearly see now what the fundamental problem with General Aviation is - it's a complete BORE.

I mean, how else could you explain a bunch of pilots filling five pages discussing the application of flaps in a turn, almost hoping that they could someday be the lucky one out of a billion to actually experience an asymmetric flap deployment that might introduce a touch of excitement into their otherwise dull lives.

LoL :goofy:

Forum at OSH, the kid said don't drop flaps while in a turn. :nono: You can stall it. Good nuff for me. I believed the point he made and how he made it. Also, that a good landing starts with a good pattern, not just the approach.

I don't know about anyone else, but the forums helped me. Went to a STOL landing deal, and lots of other general better pilot stuff, and I was flying better coming home.

A good pilot is always learning. :)

Forum at OSH, the kid said don't drop flaps while in a turn. :nono: You can stall it. Good nuff for me. I believed the point he made and how he made it. Also, that a good landing starts with a good pattern, not just the approach.

I don't know about anyone else, but the forums helped me. Went to a STOL landing deal, and lots of other general better pilot stuff, and I was flying better coming home.

A good pilot is always learning. :)

So now OSH is the be all, end all, final word on flying ? Did same guy say not using flaps and not turning would prevent stalls ? :rolleyes:

Using his logic "you can stall it", did he forget that flaps lower stalling speed and therefore, by electing not to use them, your chance of stall is potentially greater ?

These types of "hard line prohibitions" (no putting flaps out in a turn) turns the pilot into rote machines, Do X when ____, never do Y when ____ etc and takes their brain out of the loop and their pants out of the seat.

Both used to be required (and taught) in flying. Seems like not anymore. Maybe not even at OSH.

Correct, Gen-Av is not what it used to be.

Last edited:
So now OSH is the be all, end all, final word on flying ? Did same guy say not using flaps and not turning would prevent stalls ? :rolleyes:

These types of "hard line prohibitions" (no putting flaps out in a turn) turns the pilot into rote machines, Do X when ____, never do Y when ____ etc and takes their brain out of the loop and their pants out of the seat.

Both used to be required in flying. Seems like not anymore

I can't remember exactly what he said, but you're changing the stall speed on your craft when you drop flaps, and that's not a good thing in a turn which I would agree with.

It's real simple on a light single like mine just to do it like a robot. At Vfe or less, 10 degrees maybe on downwind, pull 20 or 30 after base turn, and pull 40 if I want to after I'm on final. Pulling them in turns doesn't feel good to me, plus you can accidentally slip and drop the bar a little on mine and dump them so I'm easy with the flaps.

What works for you works if you're flying well with no incidents.

I can't remember exactly what he said, but you're changing the stall speed on your craft when you drop flaps, and that's not a good thing in a turn which I would agree with.

It's real simple on a light single like mine just to do it like a robot. At Vfe or less, 10 degrees maybe on downwind, pull 20 or 30 after base turn, and pull 40 if I want to after I'm on final. Pulling them in turns doesn't feel good to me, plus you can accidentally slip and drop the bar a little on mine and dump them so I'm easy with the flaps.

why do you believe "it is not a good thing in a turn to change [lower] your stall speed"

Using this logic, is it yes a good thing to raise the stall speed in a turn ?

You understand what an accelerated stall is, yes ?

NOTE: I was taught at the PPL level (student thru passing the PP checkride) by a crop duster, age was 100, not really but he was grumpy and probably 60 years old, spent most of his life down low flying crop dusting. He taught me to use visual out-the-window references and "picture" and the importance of coordinated turns, etc stuff. Climb out was "nose above the horizon XXX much, power set to XXX" and you spent the rest of the time FLYING the plane, not looking for Vx or Vfe speeds because "that is what the big boys do." :rolleyes:

This is the problem with the wide variety of CFI's in this country.

By the way, every light airplane pilot (Cessna 152 thru 210, Piper Cherokee thru Saratoga) should be able to fly all day long, with no airspeed indicator. Power, and phase of flight and configuration is what you need to know. You should KNOW that (for example), at XXX RPM, 10 deg flaps, level, the airspeed WILL BE XXXX. You should know what XXX RPM SOUNDS LIKE also, and that "the throttle in this much" will give me XXXX power (physical position).

All this hyperfocus on the airspeed indicator is keeping eyes in cockpits versus outside, scanning for traffic.

Last edited:
Understanding the airplane aerodynamics and having a criteria on when and how to configure the plane depending on a given situation should be the rule of thumb on flying not strict guidelines or postulates such as exactly when to lower flaps.

Which way are you changing the stall speed when you drop flaps? How does decreasing stall speed help induce a stall?:dunno:

This is one of those things that is completely personal preference. It is like sucking the gear up the second you get off the ground, or doing a flow checklist instead of a check and verify with a physical checklist. Everyone is gonna have a difference of opinion and try to convince you that your way is wring and their way is right. Do whatever you want/feel comfortable with.

why do you believe "it is not a good thing in a turn to change [lower] your stall speed"

Using this logic, is it yes a good thing to raise the stall speed in a turn ?

You understand what an accelerated stall is, yes ?

NOTE: I was taught at the PPL level (student thru passing the PP checkride) by a crop duster, age was 100, not really but he was grumpy and probably 60 years old, spent most of his life down low flying crop dusting. He taught me to use visual out-the-window references and "picture" and the importance of coordinated turns, etc stuff. Climb out was "nose above the horizon XXX much, power set to XXX" and you spent the rest of the time FLYING the plane, not looking for Vx or Vfe speeds because "that is what the big boys do." :rolleyes:

This is the problem with the wide variety of CFI's in this country.

By the way, every light airplane pilot (Cessna 152 thru 210, Piper Cherokee thru Saratoga) should be able to fly all day long, with no airspeed indicator. Power, and phase of flight and configuration is what you need to know. You should KNOW that (for example), at XXX RPM, 10 deg flaps, level, the airspeed WILL BE XXXX. You should know what XXX RPM SOUNDS LIKE also, and that "the throttle in this much" will give me XXXX power (physical position).

All this hyperfocus on the airspeed indicator is keeping eyes in cockpits versus outside, scanning for traffic.

****ing internet tough guy pilots.

I'll try to remember, but I just flew seven hours today and you guys are wearing me out.

It had more to do with than just changing your stall speed which you are doing. It had to do with just ease of flying and common sense and aerodynamics too.

Look, you heavy iron guys have ways you need to slow those things down that I don't know, but I explained that it's just a PITA for me since I'm busy enough in a turn and it's easy to just reach down and pull them when the pressure's off my arms from turning and I don't have to explain my GD self since I've never had an accident and I fly a manual plane. **** off. Know-it-all.

****ing internet tough guy pilots.

I'll try to remember, but I just flew seven hours today and you guys are wearing me out.

It had more to do with than just changing your stall speed which you are doing. It had to do with just ease of flying and common sense and aerodynamics too.

Look, you heavy iron guys have ways you need to slow those things down that I don't know, but I explained that it's just a PITA for me since I'm busy enough in a turn and it's easy to just reach down and pull them when the pressure's off my arms from turning and I don't have to explain my GD self since I've never had an accident and I fly a manual plane. **** off. Know-it-all.

Bro, you said earlier it was the change of the stall speed which was the problem. Now you add additional stuff stating that it had to do with ease of flying and common sense and aerodynamics.

A few of us on here have tried to engage you in discussion on this, but instead you name-call and decide you "are too tired" to "listen to it" (our input).

Any misunderstandings of stall speed and blindly taking advice from some forum-dude at OSH could be dangerous. We are trying to share our points.

Who is the know it all ? Why the need to use inappropriate language in a post about stall speeds ?

Good luck with your flying

Last edited:
Bro, you said earlier it was the change of the stall speed which was the problem. Now you add additional stuff stating that it had to do with ease of flying and common sense and aerodynamics.

A few of us on here have tried to engage you in discussion on this, but instead you name-call and decide you "are too tired" to "listen to it" (our input).

Any misunderstandings of stall speed and blindly taking advice from some forum-dude at OSH could be dangerous. We are trying to share our points.

Who is the know it all ? Why the need to use inappropriate language in a post about stall speeds ?

Good luck with your flying

You weren't engaging discussion asking me things like do I know what an accelerated stall is and blathering on about your hundred year old instructor. That was just condescending BS.

And I can cuss and add stuff and be tired and don't have to explain myself to the likes of you.

And I don't need your luck. And I ain't your Bro.

You weren't engaging discussion asking me things like do I know what an accelerated stall is and blathering on about your hundred year old instructor. That was just condescending BS.

And I can cuss and add stuff and be tired and don't have to explain myself to the likes of you.

And I don't need your luck. And I ain't your Bro.

Just keep flying. When I was training I felt the same way. Now I am so far ahead of the plane that adding flaps + anything else I need to do in a pattern turn is not scary.

...not strict guidelines or postulates such as exactly when to lower flaps.

What I find remarkable is that I can offer a nuanced opinion, such as...

"I generally advise my students to try to avoid deploying flaps in turns - with proper planning it should rarely be necessary"...

And it somehow gets read as a "strict guideline" or "So you're saying NEVER to put flaps down in turns" or "So you think its DANGEROUS to put flaps down in turns" or even "You suck as a pilot if you can't manage flaps in turns".

All pretty silly exaggerations of what I still think is a reasonable practice.

Oh, and its been nearly 40 years since I was taught to avoid flaps in turns, and it still works for me.

Back