Drop in Upgrade for Century II Autopilot?

Gray Ghost

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Gray Ghost
I have a 1965 Cessna P206. It is equipped with an Avidyne IFD-550 GPS and matching transponder. Otherwise, it has traditional vacuum/pitot-static instruments. It has a Century II autopilot that runs off the DG. I am wondering if there is a reasonable way to upgrade the autopilot, so it will take heading information from the IFD-550 and fly a flight plan. It would also be nice to have a drop-in replacement for the Century II that would drive the existing servos.

I am a absolute novice at this, so I appreciate any guidance.

I am wondering if there is a reasonable way to upgrade the autopilot, so it will take heading information from the IFD-550 and fly a flight plan.
Garmin G5 or GI275 can replace the DG and have the IFD steer the Century II. Another GI275 can replace the AI and provide attitude information to the Century II but the G5 does not have this additional capability.
It would also be nice to have a drop-in replacement for the Century II that would drive the existing servos.
This part does not exist.

Drop-in replacement is something rare in the a/p world. Bendix King offers this in a KFC150/230 swap. Your options in the affordable digital range seem to be really limited. Garmin GFC500 STC/AML covers only P206C onward and cannot paired with any Avidyne. S-TEC 3100, AeroCruz 100 and Trio do not cover any 206 model, so that is no option, too.

It has a Century II autopilot that runs off the DG. I am wondering if there is a reasonable way to upgrade the autopilot, so it will take heading information from the IFD-550 and fly a flight plan.
The DAC GDC31 GPSS roll steering converter can be added to your existing autopilot to accomplish what you're asking. I have essentially this same config in my Piper Cherokee. I have an IFD 540 and a Piper Autocontrol IIIB (which is essentially a rebranded Century IIB, which is essentially a Century II with a slightly updated control head). I have been flying with this setup for about 6-7 years and have been very happy with it.

Last edited:
The DAC GDC31 GPSS roll steering converter can be added to your existing autopilot to accomplish what you're asking. I have essentially this same config in my Piper Cherokee. I have an IFD 540 and a Piper Autocontrol IIIB (which is essentially a rebranded Century IIB, which is essentially a Century II with a slightly updated control head). I have been flying with this setup for about 6-7 years and have been very happy with it.
That sounds like a great and affordable solution. May I ask who did the install for you?

That DAC GDC31 sounds cheaper, but an Aspen will do what you want. Keeping your vacuum AI will save $2500 over the EA100 option if you went Aspen.

I have an IFD550 that feeds through an Aspen which then drives the Altimatic IIIC (which I think?? is the same as the Century III?) autopilot. With the EA100 option. I kept the vacuum AI as a backup but did not want it looped into the autopilot control path.
The AP will fly holds & approaches. Captures ILS glide slope and RNAV glide path and follows it down. Also GNS430W tied into the mix as secondary NAV source.

When Aspen is in GPSS mode than it feeds navigation info to the autopilot. Turn off the Aspen GPSS then the auto pilot follows the heading bug on the Aspen.

Works nice. Pretty slick for an ancient auto-pilot.

The avionics upgrade for the Aspen was not cheap. On the other hand, everything is relative when it comes to dollars.

May I ask who did the install for you?
You can, but it won't be of much use to you: All American Avionics at KDWH. They went out of business several years ago, though. The Avionics mgr who handled my job left to open his own avionics company, and they have since gone out of business, too...under rather scandalous circumstances I might add.

Back