Drop-in Replacement for KY196?

Jim Rosenow

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Rosenow
Note the title is fat-fingered....should be KY196...never mind, found how edit the title. Whew!

Comm 2 is dying (not transmitting)...probably looking for a drop-in replacement for a KY196 (28v). I see KY96A, KY196, KY196A and other number-jumbles offered used. Could someone into avionics explain the differences for me, please?....and is there a new production drop-in replacement for the KY196 (I see the KY196A...at $6K)?

I await your elucidation with anticipation! Thanks!

Jim

Last edited:
KY96 and KY196A are 760 channel while KY196 is 720. KY196 and KY196A use a gas discharge display while KY96 has LCD. I think the KY196A is around half a pound to a pound lighter, too.

I'm guessing that your issues might be due to aging electrolytic capacitors. How long since it has been serviced?

However, if you have the time and the money, installing something more modern would be the way to go.

Exactly the info I was looking for...thanks asicer! In normal circumstances, we would go with a new navcom, but the avionics guys I talked to don't have the time (or apparently inclination) to do a 'smaller' install right now, let alone troubleshoot.

Don't think the unit has probably ever been serviced. Is that a King thing, or avionics shop? Will probably grab a KY196a off ebay, and kick the upgrade downstream....hoping for 'normal' someday. Thanks!

Jim

Last edited:
Don't think the unit has probably ever been serviced. Is that a King thing, or avionics shop?
Swapping out old capacitors should be an avionics shop willing to do component-level repair, of which there should be a few. I heard some folks on here have had good luck with www.kx-155.com but I suspect their cost will be more than halfway towards the parts price of a brand new more modern unit.

I should lose my POA credentials for admitting this, but.... this afternoon we realized we had the former #2 comm (another 196, removed for the GTN650 install 4 years ago) sitting in a box in the hangar. Swapped them out, verified that one works, a log entry and voila! ....fools and children

Also got on the list for a (March 2022) GNC255a install. Thanks again!

Jim

Back