Drones are harmless ...

you really want a 5-10lb object flying at your plane at 100+mph?

So many people give the argument of "Well birds are just as dangerous" But in all reality some drones can reach a mass of over 55lbm and more importantly, are made out of much denser material than flesh and porous bird bone...

I do not want drones near me.

I was in a helicopter that took a fruit bat through the wind screen at 90kias. The bat's head and entrails penetrated the copilot's windscreen, bounced off his visor and went up through the airframe lightening holes above the soundproofing blankets, leaving a bloody mess. The copilot was incapacitated for several seconds. And, we were below 500'agl.

If this had been a single-piloted aircraft, it would have most likely been a fatal encounter IMHO.

Fruit bats have a maximum wing span of about 5 1/2 feet and usually weigh less than 5 lbs.

This is POA correct? Actually had I wrote the title something to the effect of "these idiots are gonna kill somebody sooner rather than later" people on here would've jumped on me for saying that, and then folks would've chimed in about how they really aren't dangerous blah blah blah. You can't win for losing in this board... So I decided to skip the BS and just post it like I did to save the headache

Guess you got what you were looking for then. Its a win-win! ;-)

So many people give the argument of "Well birds are just as dangerous" But in all reality some drones can reach a mass of over 55lbm and more importantly, are made out of much denser material than flesh and porous bird bone...

Toy Drone Risk More Costly and Dangerous than Birds in Plane Strike New Study Indicates
https://aerokinetics.com/toy-drone-risk-more-costly-and-dangerous

The Real Consequences Of Flying Toy Drones In The National Airspace System
https://aerokinetics.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/STUDY_RealConsequencesOfToyDrones.pdf

Fort Worth, TX, November 19, 2015 — A new study released by Aero Kinetics, an Aerospace and Defense firm, reveals the safety impact and risks of toy drones in U.S. airspace. The study, entitled “The Real Consequences of Flying Toy Drones in the National Airspace System,” explores how dangerous unregulated toy drones can be to the aerospace industry and consumers. The conclusion is that Toy Drones post a significant threat to manned rotorcraft in all phases of flight, including cruise, based upon their typical operating altitudes.

Toy Drone Risk More Costly and Dangerous than Birds in Plane Strike New Study Indicates
https://aerokinetics.com/toy-drone-risk-more-costly-and-dangerous

The Real Consequences Of Flying Toy Drones In The National Airspace System
https://aerokinetics.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/STUDY_RealConsequencesOfToyDrones.pdf

Fort Worth, TX, November 19, 2015 — A new study released by Aero Kinetics, an Aerospace and Defense firm, reveals the safety impact and risks of toy drones in U.S. airspace. The study, entitled “The Real Consequences of Flying Toy Drones in the National Airspace System,” explores how dangerous unregulated toy drones can be to the aerospace industry and consumers. The conclusion is that Toy Drones post a significant threat to manned rotorcraft in all phases of flight, including cruise, based upon their typical operating altitudes.

If you filter out the hysteria of TOY DRONES, all that "study" did was point out the obvious of a drone strike hazard being somewhat like a bird strike. There was no analysis of the probability of a drone strike. Kind of like saying lightening can kill you.

Well there are like 750,000+ DJI Phantoms out there, alone. They can go several thousand feet up, and weigh around 3 pounds. That would be like getting hit by a buzzard.

So many people give the argument of "Well birds are just as dangerous"

Birds are more dangerous as there are about 11,000 strikes annually.

The reported costs for civil aircraft in USA totaled $639 million for the 23-year period, 1990 to 2012. When costs are adjusted for inflation, reported strikes in which costs were not provided, and the estimated number of strikes that were not reported, losses could be as high as $957 million per year.

http://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_safety/wildlife/faq/

Last edited:
It's not the drones that are dangerous ,it's the operators. If you fly a drone that close to a police helicopter you can't be too smart.

It's not the drones that are dangerous ,it's the operators. If you fly a drone that close to a police helicopter you can't be too smart.

Oh absolutely, just as with any other potentially dangerous device including guns, cars and planes. The great potential for harm from drones comes from the fact that a very high percentage of the operators operate their drones irresponsibly and even worse yet, they do not always know this. They are ignorant of the risks and harms that the operation of their device can cause and of the regulations that are in place to prevent such harm. And worse yet, they have no real skin in the game as far as consequences for their actions unless they get arrested and even then the penalties would be minor unless their carelessness resulted in the deaths of others. By then it is too late for the victims. They are not sitting in the seat of their drone/craft as a pilot is or even the driver of a car so they do not have or perceive personal risks as a result of their carelessness. That is the big problem with drones and their typical operator.

People are idiots and want to capture footage of whatever is going on from as close as possible. Something is going to happen eventually

I don't think anyone is flying AT your plane...

Just fear mongering for news ratings, and govt overreach, personally I'm not that concerned.

Not too long ago, people used to fly kites and there was no hysteria over it. Somewhere in America, there probably is someone flying a kite today....while the remainder of grown-up children are playing X-Box.

"These aren't the drones you're looking for".

(stolen from anohte POAer, but I can't remember whom!)

Well there are like 750,000+ DJI Phantoms out there, alone. They can go several thousand feet up, and weigh around 3 pounds. That would be like getting hit by a buzzard.
Which explains why so many airplanes have fallen from the sky after hitting drones.

Could be worse. Buzzards don't generally have liPo batteries which can easily ignite an intense fire if damaged severely. Seems likely that if DJI Phantom came though the windshield of my airplane at 200 mph the battery might be "seriously damaged". Good thing I've got a fire extinguisher onboard :hairraise:

Believe it or not, drone operators don't WANT to hit a aircraft and many of the ones who operate the bigger more expensive stuff actually are auite responsible.

If you have a easy enough life that you can divert energy to worrying about frickin drones, I envy your life :yes:

Back