Drone "world record" 11,000'

The "it's only a matter of time until one of these drones causes a terrible accident" arguments that so often come up on pilot forums always sound very similar to the "it's only a matter of time before one of these dangerous small airplanes crashes into the school" arguments that these same forums love to ridicule. Ironic, really.

suppose you'll need to be on an IFR flight plan.....or time it just right climb/descending thru that altitude.

The UAS is on an IFR flight plan, squawking, and in radar contact.....

Drones are great, fun, and interesting technology. But, a few idiots will soon ruin those items for all of the other responsible folks out there.

A guy who works for me (a non-pilot) has a number of drones, and I've been amazed by their capability. He's a responsible guy, and flies responsibly... But he'll be lumped in with everyone else when someone eventually causes a stupid accident. (Sounds kinda like general aviation in that regard, at least to me)

The "it's only a matter of time until one of these drones causes a terrible accident" arguments that so often come up on pilot forums always sound very similar to the "it's only a matter of time before one of these dangerous small airplanes crashes into the school" arguments that these same forums love to ridicule. Ironic, really.

Oooh way to pre-end the debate. QED, right?

Except "those dangerous small airplanes" have in fact hit houses and schools and cars on roads and all manner of other ****.

That is some radio range he has there to reach that height. I have a drone similar to the world recorded holder has but different brand.
If I was to attempt this I would contact the FAA first and let them know my intentions. They could issue me a TFR while I attempt this to keep all air traffic out of my way.

The world record is 11k? I thought I saw some YouTube videos of guys pushing FL200

Oooh way to pre-end the debate. QED, right?

Except "those dangerous small airplanes" have in fact hit houses and schools and cars on roads and all manner of other ****.

Indeed. And our argument is usually that this tiny level of risk is acceptable, in return for the freedom to fly. We can hardly complain about others wanting us to accept a tiny level of risk in return for their freedoms. There's a tendency to blow this drone thing out of all proportion.

Indeed. And our argument is usually that this tiny level of risk is acceptable, in return for the freedom to fly. We can hardly complain about others wanting us to accept a tiny level of risk in return for their freedoms. There's a tendency to blow this drone thing out of all proportion.

I view it as pointing out an accident that is increasingly probable. It is easy to say that it's blown out of all proportion now because so far an airliner hasn't connected with a drone in flight. But wait until an airliner hits a drone. At that point, whether the accident causes injury or not, drone manufacturers and users will look back fondly upon the days when only GA was bitching about drones.

Last edited:
Model rocketry had been going higher than that for years.

Back