Drone v helo Fla 12/30/2023

$60K damage for one blade? I’ve seen a set go for sale for $47K new.

When I saw the headline, my first thought was that this was some kid playing with his RC Christmas present. But no, looks like it was a commercial drone operator.

According to VSO, the drone pilot was flying at an altitude of 180 feet and recording video for a construction company in the area at the time of the crash.
"He was looking down at his tablet when he heard a loud impact, then noticed his drone was no longer in the air," VSO said in a Facebook post.

How could he not notice a helicopter flying at 200' nearby?

I suspect that the helicopter was somewhere he shouldn't have been, though. What's a tour helicopter doing at 200' above a construction site?

I suspect that the helicopter was somewhere he shouldn't have been, though. What's a tour helicopter doing at 200' above a construction site?
Depends on the type airspace. If controlled then might be interesting.

Good grief, that’s within stone’s throw of the DAB airport and speedway on the west side.

It’s in the Class C surface area. They’re required to have an LAANC established. Still gotta give way to manned aircraft as well.

Unless the drone was on the approach or departure end of a runway? There shouldn’t be any aircraft at 200’.

They’re like a 1000 ft from the approach end of runway 7L. Not uncommon to have a helicopter at 200 ft there.

In that proximity the drone operator should have had FAA permission to operate and incoming aircraft would be notified of UAV activity.

We have lots of helicopter traffic at my home strip and I’ve never seen one at 200’ when 1000’ from a runway. Same for fixed wing. Why would any pilot approach so low?

In that proximity the drone operator should have had FAA permission to operate and incoming aircraft would be notified of UAV activity.

We have lots of helicopter traffic at my home strip and I’ve never seen one at 200’ when 1000’ from a runway. Same for fixed wing. Why would any pilot approach so low?
He has to have permission to operate in surface based controlled airspace. That’s what the LAANC is for. However, part 107 ops still have to give way to manned aircraft. It’s not a TFR.

Why a helicopter would be at 200 ft? Because they can.

IMG_8744.jpeg

Ya, I have a drone license and am quite familiar with the regs. Because he can isn’t a good answer.

Ya, I have a drone license and am quite familiar with the regs. Because he can isn’t a good answer.
Yes it is. He’s operating within the regs. The ceiling for a UAS operator at the Daytona Beach Flea Market at Tomoka Farms Rd is 50 ft. The UAS pilot broke his authorized altitude.

IMG_8747.png

You can get waivers. Ask me how I know. Also ask me why I hate being asked to do that kind of job.

There’s *no way* some piece of construction equipment could suddenly get louder than a helicopter, right? There’s no way we are ever asked to maintain visual sight of a drone - and do - but it’s on the edge of the envelope to see a fast moving low flying helicopter in time to accurately judge altitude and trajectory.

The worst part of this, is that all of that could happen to one of us playing by *all* of the rules, and there are dozens *not* playing by the rules that are the competition and rarely get busted, while one of us commercial pilots could actually have our manned certs threatened as well for a relatively minor deal.

Unless the R44 broke some sort of company imposed altitude, he’s not going down for this. I don’t see that as a “congested area” west of SR9. Even if he broke his altitude, the UAS guy still has to give way. Can’t expect a manned aircraft to see and avoid a drone.

Landing at the flea market, where the helicopter has been pretty consistently in service for years. Pretty much right next to where it happened, and just west of DAB. He definitely wasn't doing anything he shouldn't have been

Back