Drone registration lawsuit filed

Next they will be calling for a country wide firearm registration because they endanger the drones!

popcorn.gif

I don't give him much hope for success in his lawsuit.

I wish him luck, making pointless laws/rules just for the sake of some false feeling of "safety" is getting old.

I wish him luck, making pointless laws/rules just for the sake of some false feeling of "safety" is getting old.

I don't view the registration as being about safety and security as much as it is to assign responsibility in the event they violate the rules. Tracing ownership of the drone seems a reasonable place to start.

"...I didn’t feel people should have to register their model airplanes with the federal government for them to fly them in their own backyard,” said Taylor.

And how many of the operators fly their drone within the confines of their backyard and under 400'? :dunno:

"...I didn’t feel people should have to register their model airplanes with the federal government for them to fly them in their own backyard,” said Taylor.

And how many of the operators fly their drone within the confines of their backyard and under 400'? :dunno:

I told my son to take his phantom up to 400', and it seemed pretty high to us. We got a pretty great view of the neighborhood. I guess it will seem less and less over time.

I don't view the registration as being about safety and security as much as it is to assign responsibility in the event they violate the rules. Tracing ownership of the drone seems a reasonable place to start.
This registration stuff does less than nothing in my book and I hope the lawsuit succeeds. So I buy a DJI and you buy a DJI and you register and I don't - and I decide to fly to 800 feet and cause a near miss. How they do you know you're not lying when you swear up and down on a stack of Bibles that you didn't do it?

A shame it has to come to this. Unfortunately too often a few reckless people make life difficult for the rest of us when the government imposes their "solution."

Registering the drones will be like registering guns,only the people who follow the rules will register.

So a couple of months ago I was commercial on United. We were on final to IAH. Say 2000 feet. There were these people flying a DJI at a park below us. The Boeing 737 did not fall out of the sky. We were able to land safely even after flying through the up wash of a drone. I did not report it to anyone should I?

So a couple of months ago I was commercial on United. We were on final to IAH. Say 2000 feet. There were these people flying a DJI at a park below us. The Boeing 737 did not fall out of the sky. We were able to land safely even after flying through the up wash of a drone. I did not report it to anyone should I?

I think the concern is how do you avoid colliding with one when it may be hard to see, may not show up on radar, and doesn't have a transponder to report its altitude.

I'm not saying the FAA is going about this the right way, but pretending there is no hazard is a heck of a gamble to make with other people's lives.

Probably the same way you avoid birds. I always do a quick climb with a wing wag.

It's possible that birds are smarter than some drone operators.

I think the concern is how do you avoid colliding with one when it may be hard to see, may not show up on radar, and doesn't have a transponder to report its altitude.
Since registration doesn't make them show up on RADAR, this seems to be non sequitor.

Since registration doesn't make them show up on RADAR, this seems to be non sequitor.

The post I was replying to seemed to be discussing whether drones are potentially hazardous. That is the subject I was discussing in the sentence you quoted.

Last edited:
I registered my drone to a random name picked out of the phone book.

I registered my drone to a random name picked out of the phone book.
REBEL!! :)

I registered the small drone I bought awhile ago, just for the heck of it. I found it interesting that 'they' didn't care to know anything about the drone...just the name and addy of the person registering it.

Last edited:
REBEL!! :)

I registered the small drone I bought awhile ago, just for the heck of it. I found it interesting that 'they' didn't care to know anything about the drone...just the name and addy of the person registering it.

Yep, you are now in the book.
Anything happening with a drone going bad in your area and there will be a knock on the door.

"Ah, Mr X, there was a report of a drone over the neighbors back yard two blocks away peeping in the window of their teen aged daughter. Please come with us."

Back