Drone flies into fans at MLB game

And prosecute the fool, and make him responsible for damages. Nothing should be allowed up in the airspace or in areas where they could cause some harm to anyone on the ground or in the air.

Having a libertarian bent is ok with me. Taking it to an extreme is dumb. Some aircraft is going down sooner or later because of a drone free for all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having a libertarian bent is ok with me. Taking it to an extreme is dumb. Some aircraft is going down sooner or later because of a drone free for all...

Completely agree. My CFI mentioned that he has already had a close call with a drone in the traffic pattern of an uncontrolled field.

The counter-measure industry is ramping up pretty fast now; commercial and hobby drones are vulnerable to a bunch of effective responses. The pendulum will swing the other way, at least for the run-of-the-mill pin head incident like this. Maybe not so much for truly bad actors, though.

The counter-measure industry is ramping up pretty fast now; commercial and hobby drones are vulnerable to a bunch of effective responses. The pendulum will swing the other way, at least for the run-of-the-mill pin head incident like this. Maybe not so much for truly bad actors, though.
My company has been solicited by the government to come up with some solutions. I believe we're proposing GPS spoofing among other ideas. I just got my Remote Pilot cert in case they need someone to fly the drone that gets forced down.

My company has been solicited by the government to come up with some solutions. I believe we're proposing GPS spoofing among other ideas. I just got my Remote Pilot cert in case they need someone to fly the drone that gets forced down.
Cool! They do have numerous vulnerabilities. Hope it's fun work!

Oh my word, did you see the carnage? That was difficult to watch. I mean that poor man who turned around when the drone hit his leg. I hope he was provided with counseling to deal with the trauma.

And prosecute the fool, and make him responsible for damages.
What damages?
Nothing should be allowed up in the airspace or in areas where they could cause some harm to anyone on the ground or in the air.
You mean like airplanes?

This is obviously prohibited by existing regs and TFR. Yet it happened. So do we need more regs to really, truly, super, we-mean-it-this-time, prohibit it?

Ha!
Really?

Dude it didn't even break skin, heck from his reaction I doubt it'll even bruise, give me a break

DRONE HYSTSRIA!!!!!!!

Just look at his face, that's sheer terror right there lol

IMG_1490.png

And prosecute the fool, and make him responsible for damages. Nothing should be allowed up in the airspace or in areas where they could cause some harm to anyone on the ground or in the air.

Like all those pesky airplanes?

Based on facts, aircraft have crashed and destroyed waaaay more than RC airplanes aka "drones", so from a "safety" stand point we should ban aircraft from the skies before we ban "drones" eh?

Completely agree. My CFI mentioned that he has already had a close call with a drone in the traffic pattern of an uncontrolled field.

I know, it's like ghosts or something everyone knows someone who saw one, or has a scary story, and yet the facts are still about the same

Ha!
Really?

Dude it didn't even break skin, heck from his reaction I doubt it'll even bruise, give me a break

DRONE HYSTSRIA!!!!!!!

Just look at his face, that's sheer terror right there lol

IMG_1490.png

Like all those pesky airplanes?

Based on facts, aircraft have crashed and destroyed waaaay more than RC airplanes aka "drones", so from a "safety" stand point we should ban aircraft from the skies before we ban "drones" eh?

I know, it's like ghosts or something everyone knows someone who saw one, or has a scary story, and yet the facts are still about the same

Is there a weight limit where something goes beyond a non registrable RC? They get huge! There are RCs the size of a 152....

I have never understood the allure of wanting to fly these silly toys especially around other people that could be hurt by them. I don't see the fun in it.

I don't think it's a matter of it breaking the guys skin or not. I think it's irresponsible people that do stupid things with the privileges that they have and then wonder why we are regulated the way we are!

I have never understood the allure of wanting to fly these silly toys especially around other people that could be hurt by them. I don't see the fun in it.

And the majority of Americans say the same about your GA aircraft.

People should just race their own race

I don't think it's a matter of it breaking the guys skin or not. I think it's irresponsible people that do stupid things with the privileges that they have and then wonder why we are regulated the way we are!

What are these privileges and regulations?

Are you talking about freedom and oppression.

This video proves that drones are not a threat the government and media hype them out to be, I mean the dude next to him didn't even spill his drink.... Sorry government and media, I'm just not scared enough to give up so much as one ounce of a sliver of any of my freedom.

Is there a weight limit where something goes beyond a non registrable RC? They get huge! There are RCs the size of a 152....

Yup, like the reaper, and they are owned and operated by the government or its mercearniaries, infact the ONLY AMERICANS killed by drones were killed on purpose and by the US government.

So if anything needs to be regulated here, it's the power of the federal government.

Last edited:
Toy consumer drones are not particularly dangerous. Some of the bigger "prosumer" ones are powerful enough to hurt someone. A buddy's daughter was doing a modeling job where they used a camera carrying drone to shoot the photos. Something went wrong and the drone crashed into her, leaving her with several cuts on her shoulder which required stitches.

That's the kind of thing that'll cost the drone owner/flyer a few bucks.

Toy consumer drones are not particularly dangerous. Some of the bigger "prosumer" ones are powerful enough to hurt someone. A buddy's daughter was doing a modeling job where they used a camera carrying drone to shoot the photos. Something went wrong and the drone crashed into her, leaving her with several cuts on her shoulder which required stitches.

That's the kind of thing that'll cost the drone owner/flyer a few bucks.
She's lucky it hit her in the shoulder and not her face.

James that's the silly extreme libertarianism I'm talking about. It's one think to keep regs practical and to a minimum and not criminalize victimless crimes. But no advanced civilization arises from anarchy and a free for all. Let's be intellectually honest here.

I think statistics are going to show that you are more likely to be injured at a Major League Baseball game by a flying bat or just beaten up by a disgruntled fan that hit by an out of control drone.

James that's the silly extreme libertarianism I'm talking about. It's one think to keep regs practical and to a minimum and not criminalize victimless crimes. But no advanced civilization arises from anarchy and a free for all. Let's be intellectually honest here.

Cool story,

But could you please cite a example of a non government, US based drone killing someone?

Also please feel free to help cite anything I said that was not factual.

I think statistics are going to show that you are more likely to be injured at a Major League Baseball game by a flying bat or just beaten up by a disgruntled fan that hit by an out of control drone.

Probably. But by attending the game, you've accepted the risk of a ball or bat coming into the stands and hitting you. Not so much a drone.

Cool story,

But could you please cite a example of a non government, US based drone killing someone?

Does it really have to kill someone to be a problem?

"It is estimated that during every major league baseball game, at least one significant spectator personal injury occurs. In fact, more than 35 deaths have been recorded in major league ballparks as a result of errant balls or broken bats." http://www.totalinjury.com/personal-injury-a-z/sports-injury/default.aspx#

Obviously the games should be suspended while the spectators are present - they can play later.

So, like, this drone, did the guy who caught it get to keep it? Forget trying to snag foul balls - I'm going for the drone!

Cool story,

Hey I didn't trot out the grandiose "freedom versus oppression" and protect us from the Feds lines... next thing you know youll be taking over a national park with your militia buddies....

This is a prime case where a stockade would be of good use. Lock the idiot up in the stockade and then sell tomatoes for everyone to throw.
Or find the clown and spray his house neon pink so everyone can see that an idiot lives there.

Does it really have to kill someone to be a problem?

YES

Or even just actually PROVE to be a problem to be a problem, which means damage to person or property to a level that millions of Americans need to be forced to give up money and privacy.

When people try to take other freedoms away based on emotions and not facts, that's criminal in my opinion.

Hey I didn't trot out the grandiose "freedom versus oppression" and protect us from the Feds lines... next thing you know youll be taking over a national park with your militia buddies....

Just stating facts, please feel free to show any errors in the facts that I put forth

Just stating facts, please feel free to show any errors in the facts that I put forth

Cmon, love ya, but there was some opinion thrown in too ;)

Wait, so no airplanes or helicopters then?

YES

Or even just actually PROVE to be a problem to be a problem, which means damage to person or property to a level that millions of Americans need to be forced to give up money and privacy.

When people try to take other freedoms away based on emotions and not facts, that's criminal in my opinion.

I'm with you on that... how often do we come close to hitting a bird? Like every other flight? I have never even seen a drone while flying.

Cmon, love ya, but there was some opinion thrown in too ;)

Maybe a little, but there have only been three confirmed Americans killed by drones since drones became a "thing"

Anwar al-Awlaki, male 40, Colorado

Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, boy 16, Colorado

Nawar al-Awlaki, girl 8, Colorado

All three killed by federal owned and operated drones, all were also targeted killings.

So based on the FACTS, as a US citizen your are more likely to be intentionally killed by a federal government drone than your neighborhood DJI phantom.

Also, the big media and government fear tactic of it hitting a airliner, well based on NASA the only drones who have had confirmed issues up where airliners like to live, and are also big enough to cause real damage (like GA aircraft sized), yup you guessed it, owned and operated by the federal government

UAS Altitude Excursions

Four ASRS reports describe incidents in which UAS departed from their assigned altitude. In the first report, an Air Traffic Controller observed a UAS altitude deviation and also expressed concern for the consequences of UAS data link failures.

■ While working an adjacent sector, I witnessed a UAS deviate from his assigned altitude. This UAS was cleared to maintain FL350. The [UAS] aircraft descended out of FL350 to FL300 without a clearance. When questioned by the Air Traffic Controller, the Remote Pilot stated that he could not maintain FL350 so he descended.

I feel this event happened due to the training of the Remote Pilots of the unmanned aircraft. The accountability and standards for remotely piloted, unmanned aircraft should be equal to the standards of commercial pilots.

Also, unmanned aircraft must be held to the same restrictions as manned aircraft. For example, in a [UA] System, if the aircraft loses data link it will fly its programmed flight plan. It will not maintain its last assigned altitude. This can affect the Controller’s ability to maintain positive separation.

An Operator reported losing aerodynamic control of the UAS and was too busy reestablishing control to immediately notify ATC of the problem. It is not known if the UAS Copilot had communications capability with ATC.

■ I requested a climb from FL190 to FL250 to climb above weather. Before entering into a climb, I asked the Copilot to perform a full sweep with the camera to look for clouds and adverse weather. None was noted.

Climbing through FL210, conditions were encountered that affected the performance of the [UAS] aircraft and resulted in a loss of altitude from FL210 to 16,500 feet MSL. Due to my efforts to fully regain positive control of the aircraft, I failed to declare an emergency. As soon as I regained positive control, I initiated an immediate climb to the cleared altitude of FL250. ATC advised of the deviation in altitude. I advised ATC that the descent was due to weather and the aircraft was currently in a climb to FL250. The flight level request was amended to FL290 in order to fly above the weather.
A Certificate of Authorization (COA) from the FAA authorizes a UAS operator to use a defined airspace and includes special provisions unique to each operation. Most, if not all, COAs require coordination with an appropriate Air Traffic Control facility and may require the UAS to have a transponder to operate in certain types of airspace. The UAS Operator who submitted this report to ASRS was operating in accordance with a COA when the data link to the UAS was lost.

■ My UAV was conducting assigned missions at FL200 in accordance with a COA issued by the FAA. At one point in the mission the UAV descended to FL190 without an ATC clearance. At the time of this violation, we lost a control link…with the [UAS] aircraft. As we were then unable to verify the aircraft’s position or obtain critical flight information, the command link with the [UAS] aircraft was disabled releasing it on its emergency mission profile in accordance with the approved emergency checklist. The [UAS] aircraft then began squawking 7600 and entered autonomous flight proceeding direct to the assigned emergency mission loiter point and descended to a pre-programmed altitude of FL190.

The remote command link with the UAV was lost for several minutes. This command link allows the aircraft to be flown by a PIC approximately 1,000 miles away using satellite relayed commands. It was this link that was lost and the aircraft was then released to its pre-programmed emergency rendezvous point where it would then be picked up visually and landed by on-site operators. In this case the command link was regained after several minutes and the aircraft flown directly by the PIC to a point where it could be visually acquired by the on-site crew and was landed safely. Maintenance investigation is required to ascertain the reason for the lost link before the aircraft is again released for flight operations.

In another report from a UAS Operator, the aircraft experienced an altitude and heading deviation due to loss of the data link, but the Operator made a timely report to ATC.

■ Due to an inadvertent SPMA (Signal Processor Modem Assembly) reset during a backup communications power up, the UAS experienced a Lost Link situation. The UAS was cruising at FL230 to avoid weather when the Lost Link occurred. The Operator failed to update the Lost Link Profile to reflect the ATC clearance which caused the aircraft to turn towards the closest Lost Link entry point and initiate a descent to FL190 which was the previous Lost Link Profile. The Operator immediately called ATC and notified Center that the link should be regained within two minutes. Once the SPMA link was reestablished, the aircraft climbed to its previous altitude of FL230.

No additional information was requested by Center after communications were regained and the flight continued without further incident. A software change request is being researched for added protection from inadvertent SPMA resets.

Close Encounter

A small UAS encountered by the Pilot of a manned aircraft may have been outside its designated airspace. If ATC is not aware of a UAS, Pilots have to rely on see and avoid procedures and handle UAS conflicts the same as conflicts with manned aircraft.

■ My passengers and I noticed an oblong shaped UAV (approximately two to three feet long with a long antenna) passing us in the opposite direction within 100 feet of our left wing on the 45-degree entry to Runway 15…. The object did not show up on my TCAS system as a threat. These vehicles need to show up in the cockpit as a threat or stay within the Military Operating Area (MOA).
https://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/publications/callback/cb_397.html

Those are the facts, and nothing but the facts. But based on those facts the only group which is causing REAL and CONFIRMED issues with "drones" are government workers, not some kid, not some guy trying to sell real estate photos, nope it's the fed, but we all know how well they self regulate lol.

Last edited:
Here comes a 1500 hour drone rule. 1000 hours from a certified drone university program.

Ironic that this happens days after the FAA drone registration program was thrown out.
Not really sure why drones should get special treatment. Model rocketry clubs, sky divers, hang gliders, etc., just about everyone who "uses" the air has to follow some basic airmanship rules. Why should drones be excluded? I'm not saying we need membership fees or a registry, but there should be some accountability here and basic etiquette to follow

@James331 My bigger issue with drones, is not the media hysteria behind it (I agree with you there, seriously read that link), but it's annoying to my personal private property to have these things buzzing by, or generally annoying when I'm hiking on a trail and I hear one of them cruising over head. Maybe it's just my neck of the woods, but where I live and where I frequent I see tons of these things (more on that below)

I completely agree. The drone thing is starting to become madness. My house (and the subdivision) backs up to a canyon and we have a neighbor who flies his drone up and down the canyon and right along the perimeter of the homes. Technically the drone is not *over* my property, but hearing that whirling thing buzzing maybe 50 yards from the house starts to get irritating and I do find it intrusive

There's a TFR over Citifield whenever there is a game, so it shouldn't have been there.

There's a TFR over Citifield whenever there is a game, so it shouldn't have been there.
Right, but how would the average person have known that was active, never mind even knowing what a TFR is? Most drone people I've met are not the same group of people who love aviation and fly RC planes, etc... they're perfectly nice people but they're more of the "I get to play pilot for a few minutes" person. In my post above that's what I meant by that there should be some basic rules of the road they should be educated on and know how to follow. It might seem common sense to us, but I can see how someone else might think it would be cool to get some "great footage of the game" from their drone.. I mean that's what most of these people use their drones for anyway is to hook their gopro up to it and get cool aerial shots

I mean, with so many providers now having open APIs, and these drones being as advanced as they are, it would be pretty easy to program right into the firmware on the higher performance drones to at least alert the user if they're about to penetrate a TFR or any B, C, D space..

I agree that the toy sized models shouldn't need a ton of regs. But once they are above a certain weight/capability, they do need registration and regulation. And probably a cheap ADSB transponder...

The problem is if we don't get the infrastructure set up for it now, we won't be ready when we really need the regs and the licensing...

And the majority of Americans say the same about your GA aircraft.

People should just race their own race

What are these privileges and regulations?

Are you talking about freedom and oppression.

This video proves that drones are not a threat the government and media hype them out to be, I mean the dude next to him didn't even spill his drink.... Sorry government and media, I'm just not scared enough to give up so much as one ounce of a sliver of any of my freedom.

Yup, like the reaper, and they are owned and operated by the government or its mercearniaries, infact the ONLY AMERICANS killed by drones were killed on purpose and by the US government.

So if anything needs to be regulated here, it's the power of the federal government.

Can you honestly say that we have more rights/or the same now than we did say 30 years ago?

IMO it's the citizens that do dumb things, (Ex: fly a drone into an airport that affect airplanes) which forces government to get involved to create laws that restrict everyone, even responsible people.

It's a delicate balance and it will be until the end of time.

?.. My house (and the subdivision) backs up to a canyon and we have a neighbor who flies his drone up and down the canyon and right along the perimeter of the homes. Technically the drone is not *over* my property, but hearing that whirling thing buzzing maybe 50 yards from the house starts to get irritating and I do find it intrusive

Have you tried to talk with him? Maybe help him find a alternate flight path that would still allow him to have fun with his drone while also not bugging you? I bet if he's flying that much he's probably got a passion for aviation, could find some common ground perhaps?

Have you tried to talk with him?
I've thought about it, we both have dogs so that might give us some common ground, then chat about planes, etc. I really hate to be "that guy" though who gets involved in someone else's business.. I'd rather just grumble about it on an internet forum lol

Back