Drank, vaped, fined

Republic Airways?

I didn’t realize the “Republic” name was being used again for an airline. We used to have “Republic Airlines” here in the Midwest from ‘79 to ‘86. It was once the world’s biggest operator of DC9s. Then it was consumed by Northwest which was consumed by Delta.

can’t the airlines already refuse to sell them a ticket? This really should be a matter for the company that owns the planes. And when it involves assaults and other criminal acts, the police.
At the risk of another "can you log PIC time?" argument, how are the police able to prosecute a crime that occurs interstate? Some asshat takes a swing at an FA over Kansas, plane lands in LA, who has jurisdiction? Think that might be why FAA is levying fines. @Kritchlow or other ATP's, how does that work?
As a former frequent flyer, I have no sympathy for folks that can't sit still for a few hours without throwing a fit.

At the risk of another "can you log PIC time?" argument, how are the police able to prosecute a crime that occurs interstate? Some asshat takes a swing at an FA over Kansas, plane lands in LA, who has jurisdiction? Think that might be why FAA is levying fines. @Kritchlow or other ATP's, how does that work?
As a former frequent flyer, I have no sympathy for folks that can't sit still for a few hours without throwing a fit.

This was actually one of the original reasons given for passing the laws making many crimes on aircraft a Federal crime back in 1962. Same law where they also outlawed carriage of firearms on all aircraft (though I have not been able to find any discussion of the 2nd amendment implications of that at the time).

I think the local police can arrest you for committing a Federal crime. It would just be tried in Federal court rather than in a county court. I think they can also arrest you on a warrant from another jurisdiction. So in the example given, if it were not a Federal crime, the captain or some airline representative would need to contact a Kansas judge and request a warrant, the local police could arrest upon arrival. Easier to do today obviously than in 1962.

I assume the airline just calls the local airport police and they meet the plane at the gate. But clearly the other ATPs can comment directly from experience.

These people are sociopaths, mentally ill, drug addicts or some combination of all three. Normal people can behave themselves during a flight no matter how miserable the airlines make them. I feel sorry for the kid.

Back