Drama going on over at International Comanche Society

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
I became an ICS member a little while ago and I don't know exactly what's going on with the members over there but it's been very negative. The most negative I've ever seen in General Aviation. I posted, wondering what was going on and I didn't get an explanation on why people are so bitter over there. Could someone enlighten me about it...Please send a PM if you want to remain anonymous, I'm staring to believe I joined the wrong group.

Here is the letter: (Extensive reading)

Ladies and Gentlemen
For sometime we have had two individuals within ICS who, through website and social media postings, plus mass emails to the whole society, have been disruptive to the membership. Their actions have been counter-productive to almost everything the Board has tried to do or achieve, for the benefit of the members. Their postings were consistently full of distortions and false information with an occasional grain of truth included in an attempt to give their postings an air of credibility. These very public airings have upset many of our members, a number of whom have left us due to their actions and the perceived �in fighting.� In the last months of 2018, ICS experienced an unprecedented drop in our membership, a lot due to these behaviours.
One of these individuals was a Tribe Chief who had not completed a tribe election since 2015. Since the ICS By-Laws state that Tribe Reps must be elected annually, the ICS President determined that the Tribe Rep be suspended until such time that Tribe completes a legitimate election. The Board of Directors agreed and thereafter, the NE tribe has been without board representation.
On numerous occasions, ordinary members, Tribe Chiefs, Members of the Board and the President have spoken to one or both of these individuals in an attempt to find out the reasons for their actions and behaviours and to try to come to some agreement to cease their disruptive activities and work with the elected officers for the benefit of the Society and the members as a whole. All these efforts have been futile.
Since the continual disruption and false information was untenable, The President, with the support of the Board, agreed to set up an Ethics Committee of professionally respected, independent members to investigate these two individuals and their actions. The Ethics Committee presented their findings to the Board recently and as a result of this report two hearings were convened, in accordance with Roberts Rules, which I insisted should govern proceedings on this occasion. These actions were conducted in accordance with Roberts Rules, as provided by our by-laws.
The hearings into these individuals� actions against the Society was held on 2 February 2019 and the Board concluded that both of them repeatedly violated the ICS Ethics rules.
ICS Bylaws, Article 1, Section 3:
Conduct and Ethics. ICS Members:
A. Are encouraged to participate in ICS activities and committees.
B. Should encourage both ICS and non ICS members to associate with ICS.
C. Shall refuse to knowingly provide or pass on false information.
D. Shall give thoughtful consideration to the comments of other members.
E. Shall conduct themselves with proper decorum as emissaries of ICS.

It is with a heavy heart therefore that I have to tell you that the conclusions of the board were that we should revoke the membership of these individuals. Therefore, as of this day, 2 February 2019, Ms. Christina Stumpf (NE Tribe), and Mr. Les Thomas (SE Tribe) are no longer members of the International Comanche Society.
I can state that whilst all actions that the Board has taken are verifiable, and we retain all the emails and paperwork to prove our actions, one of the most telling statements in the investigation was, when asked why they had distributed unverified information in their emails and posts on websites and social media, the response was ; �it was not up to us to verify anything that we wrote� !
As a consequence of this flagrant disregard for the truth, these two individuals have upset many of our members, a number of whom have left our society due to their actions and the perceived �in-fighting�. There will be a number who still think that these individuals have done no wrong. But I assure you that the actions taken by your Board are just and are for the good of the whole society and its future.
The Board and Tribe Reps are all volunteers and serve for the benefit of the members, with the common aim of supporting our great aircraft and pilots. Many of these volunteers go to great lengths and considerable personal expense to further our society, all without pay or financial reward, and I salute them for that.
We now go into 2019 with vigour and a renewed mission to promote our great society and its membership.
Thank You

Kate Burrows
ICS President
© 2019 International Comanche Society

I've been in a couple of organizations where things went wonky. I attributed the chaos to this:
Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureaucracy states that in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people:
  • First, there will be those who are devoted to the goals of the organization. Examples are dedicated classroom teachers in an educational bureaucracy, many of the engineers and launch technicians and scientists at NASA, even some agricultural scientists and advisors in the former Soviet Union collective farming administration.
  • Secondly, there will be those dedicated to the organization itself. Examples are many of the administrators in the education system, many professors of education, many teachers union officials, much of the NASA headquarters staff, etc.
The Iron Law states that in every case the second group will gain and keep control of the organization. It will write the rules, and control promotions within the organization.
I don't know what happened in the ICS, but it appears that "good riddance" for a couple of folks is the order of the day.

TL;DR, but I’d have sanitized the names before I posted that letter. Use initials.

Another reason the correct answer is Bo?

Last edited:
In a nutshell, there was a dust up between the hired President and the Board. It was taken public with letters sent from both sides accusing the other of improprieties and mishandling of funds and business. I'm not sure anyone knows the truth, but members are fleeing the mess. It's unfortunate because the society was a very valuable resource.

Sounds like PoA
You may or may not be joking, but I'd recommend spending time on other boards and seeing if you still believe that. Except for a select few, PoA is an incredibly close-knit, welcoming (now) and functional message board.

I remember as a lowly student pilot going on Back Country Pilot and being told I'm a garbage pilot and I was going to get myself killed all because my instructor suggested using some aileron pressure against the direction of a turn to help it come around in a Citabria. I've dabbled, but haven't really been back since, the amount of macho over there is unbearable, even compared to PoA.

I find it hard to take adults seriously that call themselves “tribe reps”

Word. Completely non-binding, made-up adult "booster clubs". Reason #69 I refuse to own an aircraft I need to join a "specialty club" in order to have a reasonable expectation of retaining nominal maintenance and dispatch outcomes. My hobby is flying, not antiquing in a hangar and having to manage attitude from self-appointed experts from last century. I don't need more @--holes in my life, I already got co-workers....:eek::D

Word. Completely non-binding, made-up adult "booster clubs". Reason #69 I refuse to own an aircraft I need to join a "specialty club" in order to have a reasonable expectation of retaining nominal maintenance and dispatch outcomes. My hobby is flying, not antiquing in a hangar and having to manage attitude from self-appointed experts from last century. I don't need more @--holes in my life, I already got co-workers....:eek::D

We get it, you hate Comanches. The only a-hole I see here is someone who ****s on an aircraft they don't know anything about except only what they've read. I joined the ICS for my first year of ownership. I never renewed afterwards. I have the 17th 250 to roll off the line and the amount of downtime I've had in 10 years of ownership because of it being Comanche specific is 2 weeks. TWO. One was gear cabling/conduits. Had new (not overhauled or salvaged, brand new) parts for it in 2 days. Took 2 days to install. The other was the stab horn AD. Took it off during annual. 1 day there freight. 2 day turn around, 1 day back. So seriously, STFU about Comanches. You have 0 clue what you are talking about.

I disagree with your hobby being flying, Your hobby is lurking message board just ****ting on Comanches every *** **** chance you get.

The fights are so fierce because the prize is so small.

Typical small organization politicking. No different from board fights in your local school PTA.

We get it, you hate Comanches. The only a-hole I see here is someone who ****s on an aircraft they don't know anything about except only what they've read. I joined the ICS for my first year of ownership. I never renewed afterwards. I have the 17th 250 to roll off the line and the amount of downtime I've had in 10 years of ownership because of it being Comanche specific is 2 weeks. TWO. One was gear cabling/conduits. Had new (not overhauled or salvaged, brand new) parts for it in 2 days. Took 2 days to install. The other was the stab horn AD. Took it off during annual. 1 day there freight. 2 day turn around, 1 day back. So seriously, STFU about Comanches. You have 0 clue what you are talking about.

I disagree with your hobby being flying, Your hobby is lurking message board just ****ting on Comanches every *** **** chance you get.

tenor.gif

:D:D

You may or may not be joking, but I'd recommend spending time on other boards and seeing if you still believe that. Except for a select few, PoA is an incredibly close-knit, welcoming (now) and functional message board.

I remember as a lowly student pilot going on Back Country Pilot and being told I'm a garbage pilot and I was going to get myself killed all because my instructor suggested using some aileron pressure against the direction of a turn to help it come around in a Citabria. I've dabbled, but haven't really been back since, the amount of macho over there is unbearable, even compared to PoA.

I suppose my comment was a bit tongue in cheek. I haven't spent much time on other flying forums, mostly because I have never felt the need to. That said, I've always been the type of person to have a ton of different hobbies and I would say the many other forums I have or currently dabble in aren't much different with regards to the characteristics of the members. I would say PoA has been particularly hostile towards people over the years (more so than the other forums I frequent), but it has become considerably better over the past year or so (which we have discussed on here before).

I think flying in general attracts a lot of Type A personalities. It's not much different than the motocross racing scene I grew up with. It kind of is what it is and your not going to change it. I will say it has been really interesting to see just how prideful people can be on here (or anywhere online for that matter) and the "I'm never wrong" mentality that is inherent in human nature. Humility isn't well exercised (even I am guilty of this), even among some of the most experienced people on here. Even the resident DPEs on here go to battle over the most minor of subjects. I've found the best instructors and DPEs I've flown with were humble ones.

That said, the people I've met in person on here have been great people. Some of whom have helped me tremendously and provided help free of charge. It's been a great resource over the past few years. I don't spend nearly as much time as I once did, but I think I will always lurk on here to some degree. It does provide good entertainment (see above :p)

Why the heck bring it here?

My intentions were not to bring it here but to get some insight on what's going on over there. My renewal is coming up in the next few months and I'm wondering if I should renew or not.

I agree with the type A personalities that get on here. Everyone has something to bring to POA and I learn from everybody!

The leadership made a huge problem out of something that is handled much better by unceremoniously kicking the bad actors out.
(Yes there is always some heat when that happens, by the civil rights / freedom of speech crowd, but I say Tough Excreta)

I think POA handles it much better than your group.
I have had to do the same in my chatgroups. The group completely turns around and things are way better when you have leadership that is willing to kick out the losers.

The ICS has been subject to internal battles for a long time. To give you an idea, my membership lapsed in 2009. It was going on even then.

Here's my take: the value of a type club is the information it provides. Type-specific tips and tricks. Access to instructors with type-specific knowledge (CFIs who understand a Cherokee, Warrior or Archer are a dime a dozen; it can be hard to find a CFI with any Comanche experience). I don't care all much about the internal biskering unless it affects those core functions.

Not sure how negative it is. The formation of SAFE was the result of internal strife at NAFI. In 2003, an Angel Flight chapter sued another Angel Flight Chapter and the national organization over the use of the name "Angel Flight." ICS is in pretty good company.

IIRC, from when I was considering buying a Twinkie, there are two Comanche groups. The original and a "splinter group" that @Kristin is involved with. I checked both of them out and, at that time, the one that Kristin was involved with was far superior.

It's been quite a few years ago so I may be totally dreaming all of that.

Drama? Sounds like a good reason for me to stay away from there.

“I don't want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members.”

~ Groucho Marx

For the most part, this has always been true in my life, but then I have been and always will be a lone wolf. Just too much work trying to fit in where I never will. Might be a touch of Asperger's in there somewhere, lol.

A few years ago there was a p***ing match that ended with one of the players removing many years of very valuable maintenance related forum threads from the site. He owned, he managed it, so it was entirely within his rights, but it vengeful and short-sighted. That was when Kristin started her forum. It was at that point I decided not to renew.

Last edited:
ICS is not a chat-group. They are a type club with a role to play in keeping the Pa24/Pa30 line flying . The fights are not internet banter, this involves accusations of malfeasance involving organizational funds. It's just a shame that people can't get along.

I find it hard to take adults seriously that call themselves “tribe reps”

:D

When reading that post, I formed a mental image of six or eight adults dressed in faux buckskin, sporting headbands with turkey feathers, and arguing in the fake Indian idiom of the old sitcom F Troop.

Tribes and tribe chiefs? Seriously?

The 'tribes' are actually called that in their articles of incorporation. They are KS corporations recognized as IRS 'social clubs' for the promotion of the type and to increase cameraderie among ICS members. I guess when the organization was formed, using that native imagery was considered ok, now it just seems a bit tone-deaf.

That letter at the top of the thread raises the interesting question how one KS corporation can remove officers of another corporation using a kangaroo court when there are no rules to that effect in the bylaws or articles of incorporation of that other Corp... The reality is that ICS has limited power over the tribes. They can remove the chiefs right to sit on the ICS board, that's about it.

The overall crisis of the organization is the fact that the olld guys who would take their wives to a monthly fly-in, admire each other's planes and go for lunch are dying off. With the prices on old Comanches what they are, the planes are less and less prized possessions that define the self worth of their owner. They have become more of a consumable item.

If it's any consolation to the Pa24 community, the American Bonanza Society had it's own bruising board fight a couple of years ago. Parties banding together to vote others off the island, accusations of self dealing, an employed executive director in the middle of the fight, the works.

Last edited:
I've done POA penance more than once... Still not sure WTF I did to earn it... But... Whatever...

it's for 'the community', man. it's for the betterment of the community.

I'm happy beechaeroclub.org is healthy! Everyone should buy a mouse. There, I said it. Best club and I'm biased.

I value both POA and the Cessna 120/140 association. I love our lively passionate discussions we have here, though some are over the line at times, but such is life. I think of our banter on here like sibblings :)

The Cessna 120/140 group has been amazing in my quest for ownership and is beyond welcoming. One member mentored me all through the buying process, what to look for what to weed out, and talked to the pre buy inspector on specific model details for me. I already have plans to fly and meet several folks around MI that Ive never met through it.

So im pretty biased too. Lots of great folks in this world.

Last edited:
Back