Downwind landing

That's a 20 deg quartering tail wind so nowhere near full value. Maybe around 8-10 mph downwind. Not saying that is OK, but it may be, and I don't know what other circumstances were involved.

Oh, not the dreaded go-around! Think of how it would look on your resume, Captain!

Bob

Must be other factors involved. Too much speed? landing long?

That's a 20 deg quartering tail wind so nowhere near full value. Maybe around 8-10 mph downwind. Not saying that is OK, but it may be, and I don't know what other circumstances were involved.
I think it's 60°off the tail giving 7 kts of tailwind component.

I one time worked a CRJ2 landing on a 6500’ runway that hadn’t touched the pavement over halfway down the runway. They did get the plane stopped and off the runway at the end, then sat for several minutes before calling to taxi in to the terminal building. I wish I could have heard the discussion in the cockpit.

There are only a couple of seconds between a normal landing and going off the end in a large (or heavy) aircraft. They had been flying all night, were probably tired, and the decision to make a late go around was probably not considered until it was too late. My guess is a long landing and a failure to recognize that it wasn’t going well until it was too late to do anything about it.

Landing with up to 10 knots of tailwind component is common in the 121 world as long as the landing performance allows it.

7700 foot runway with a 747 and a tailwind. Seems like playing with fire to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

7700 foot runway with a 747 and a tailwind. Seems like playing with fire to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe. Maybe not. A lightly loaded airplane may work just fine. After all, they have 16 rather large sets of brakes to work with.

But I have no experience with the 747. At face value, they should have landed the other way. But we have the benefit of hindsight and Monday morning quarterbacking. We weren’t there.

That also shows there was not an ILS to the other end of the same runway. That can be a factor in deciding to accept a tailwind as well.

Back