downsizing to an RV 7A

henryinparadise

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Henry
Im thinking of downsizing from a retractable to an RV7A or similar plane.
Is insurance hard to get?
Does insurance require much or any training from a high performance plane?
Can the plane hold golf clubs?
A golf driver is about 48in long.
Are they good cross country machines? say 500 mile trips.
Thank You for any feedback.

I have an -8A. Insurance on $89K hull value is $1150 - commercial/instrument/CFI, 1000 total time. I’m on the third renewal, and each year it has gone down by $15. Insurance required a checkout (no minimum time stated) from a CFI who had at least 25 time in type. They accepted me doing the checkout in the right seat of a -6A.

Not sure about a 7’s baggage compartment but I could probably get a set of clubs in the 8, but might have a CG issue with a passenger aboard.

Cross country, no problem. There isn’t any room to stretch out and seats are fixed in place. Only caveat is that you are sitting in a reflector oven. I have a fabric sunshade on the canopy, but all it really does is reduce glare.

We had a 9a. Baggage area was limited to 75 lbs. Golf clubs would be unwieldy and stick out into front area between pilots. But, it's an experimental, open the top of the rear baggage bulkhead and transport them extending into that area.
Our 9a cruised at 148kts. The 7a has a little more fuel capacity than a 9a and I suspect 600 nm legs to be reasonable.

A side by side RV would be perfect for 500 mile trips. 600 NM is fairly doable with no wind. Insurance? Shouldn't be a big issue.

As far as golf clubs go, you could add an extension to your baggage compartment. It's been done before. An experienced builder could do it for you or talk you through it, I would think.

I agree with the above comments regarding a seat that cannot be repositioned during flight, dealing with the heat in the summer, room to enjoy a snack or coffee or just catching a nap during long cross countries. I enjoyed my RV6 for flights up to a couple hours, but anything longer was a struggle. I’ve flown my Bonanza, twin Comanche, and C172 up to 9 hours a day, RV6 limit was 3 hours. It would have been my favorite plane up to 300nm, my least favorite for over 450nm.

Carrying clubs would be tough without the mod that Kyle mentioned. Unless you're solo, then you can fold the pax seat down forward and have the clubs laying from back to front.

Also as mentioned, 500nm trips would be a breeze. The thing I really appreciate about the RVs is that you can get up high to cool down or play the winds more easily/quickly than with most comparable ~200hp airframes.

thanks for the comments.
its all food for thought.
my 210 is wonderful for long trips
but quite expensive and insurance is
ridicules!

I’ve done several 500 mile trips and longer in my 9A. I did Napa ca to cour d’Alene Idaho nonstop this year. It was awesome. I have a mod called the almost 14 mod by anti splat that moves the top of the seat back another 2 inches. It makes for a way more comfortable plane on long trips. If you’re solo, clubs aren’t a problem. With a passenger, not sure how you could do it. The 7s are a decent cross country bird. The 9s are even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back