DOT IG on FAA Handling of Mental Health Issues

midlifeflyer

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fly
The report was an outgrowth of the Germanwings incident where the copilot purposely crashed the airplane killing all 150 on board.

Summary: "FAA's ability to mitigate safety risks is limited by pilots' reluctance to disclose mental health conditions. According to FAA and aviation industry organization officials, primary factors that discourage pilots from reporting their mental health conditions are the stigma associated with mental health, potential impact on their careers, and fear of financial hardship. Addressing these barriers is critical for FAA to mitigate potential aviation safety risks."

The full report at: https://www.oig.dot.gov/sites/default/files/FAA Pilot Mental Health Final Report_07.12.2023.pdf

That's what the FAA claims are the barriers. Of course, they can't find any responsibility for their own adversarial reaction to such disclosures that lead to pilots not only not reporting issues but not seeking professional help for them.

That's what the FAA claims are the barriers. Of course, they can't find any responsibility for their own adversarial reaction to such disclosures that lead to pilots not only not reporting issues but not seeking professional help for them.
Agreed. Not all of the problem is of the FAA's own making. But one thing I've noticed the past few years is that the Compliance Program for pilot deviations has not filtered through to the medical branch. CAMI is still seen by many, with justification, as a zero-tolerance agency which treats the smallest mental health issues exactly the same way as the most serious.

That's not even limited to mental health. There's the pilot who reported a genetic marker with no symptoms and was called upon to prove they didn't have the disease. FAA: well, one they told us, what else would you expect us to do? In another, a pilot incorrectly answered "No" to a heart issue. What was unfortunate is that all a "Yes" would have needed was a "Previously Reported No Change," since it was previously disclosed and medical certificate issued without even an SI. Result - revocation of medical and pilot certificates.

No different than any medical issue really. Just like the 4,800 pilots that the FAA is investigating for not disclosing VA disabilities. They don’t want their careers affected by their disabilities but they also want the monetary benefits that they get from the VA. In their minds their disability isn’t any of the FAA’s business and doesn’t affect their ability to fly an aircraft. The proverbial wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

No different than any medical issue really. Just like the 4,800 pilots that the FAA is investigating for not disclosing VA disabilities. They don’t want their careers affected by their disabilities but they also want the monetary benefits that they get from the VA. In their minds their disability isn’t any of the FAA’s business and doesn’t affect their ability to fly an aircraft. The proverbial wanting to have your cake and eat it too.
I make a distinction with the VA grift. That's people maligning for compensation, who then want to turn around and keep a class I. I have zero issues with people getting paid for a legit disability and being put out to pasture under the civilian airline's LTD policy, which also pays.

Neither of the scenarios should preclude recreational flying. That I'm willing to lie through my teeth to preserve.

Back