Door Stewart Strut Replacement

Florida Flyer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
Alternate source for the strut replacement? I am sure Mountainview Aviation does not manufacture these!

Not enough info. Source for what, a kit or just a strut? Are you looking for a cheaper alternative? What aircraft? Etc...
The Door Steward is an STCd doorstop used on some airplanes that typically had inadequate doorstop hardware. It's just a gas strut, with some custom brackets riveted to the doorframe and door. The gas strut will be an automotive item, probably from the hatchback of a minivan or something.

05-00922a.jpg

upload_2022-12-30_9-41-8.jpeg

I've encountered them. The doorpost brackets flex too much and I'd expect eventual cracking. But they do hold the door open nicely, and control the speed of opening so that the wind doesn't easily damage stuff. And they don't get in the way much.

The Door Steward is an STCd doorstop used on some airplanes that typically had inadequate doorstop hardware.
I'm familiar with the Steward STC just wasn't sure what the OP was looking for as an alternative. Have installed a number of different brands to include some DIY versions. Definitely a door saver especially on helicopters.

I’ve never installed one but I agree with comments regarding doors.

And add “ Door POSTS”.

Doors flapping in the breeze may damage the Forward Door Post on Cessna

aircraft. Keep in mind the entire aircraft hangs from the Door Posts!

This is particularly critical on 172’s without External Door Stops.

Repairs to the Post are rather involved. Cessna has a fix but we used a DER on

several that involved structural epoxy. Best avoid needing the repair. This unit

could save you a LOT of $$$.

I had a door steward installed on a Cherokee 140 I once owned. I liked it very much, especially in hot weather as it would hold the door open at taxi speeds.

Doors flapping in the breeze may damage the Forward Door Post on Cessna
They also abrade the lower end of the wing strut if the internal stops are broken (as is typical). Cessna says that the strut damage is to be dressed out, but if more than 20% (if I recall right) of the wall thickness is gone, a new strut is in order.

To clarify, looking to replace just the strut. Part number is 201c101-1s with 10mm ball end. Thanks for all the input.

Gas springs are sized by closed length, stroke length, and spring power. Most have multiple options for the ends. Google gas springs.

They also abrade the lower end of the wing strut if the internal stops are broken (as is typical). Cessna says that the strut damage is to be dressed out, but if more than 20% (if I recall right) of the wall thickness is gone, a new strut is in order.

I just went through this issue on my 63 182F. I had flown to my Dad's house and parked the plane at KCMA. While out there the Santa Anna winds came ripping through. The door blew open at some point and ripped the stock door stop apart. The door impacted the strut and caused some damage. I had 2 different A&Ps look at the damage and say "smooth it out and fly". Neither one measured anything which made me a bit uneasy based on advice from another forum

On a Cessna specific forum one of the well known Cessna mechanics had posted the following:

"Wing Strut Damage Criteria
A. Negligible damage: Any smooth dents in the strut that are not more than 0.090 inch (2.03 mm) below contour and circumscribable with not more than a 3.0 inch (76.2 mm) diameter circle is negligible damage. Minor scratches which do not involve removal or displacement of strut material is negligible damage. Because of the critical nature of the strut, any non-cosmetic scratches must be reworked.
B. Repairable damage: For grooves in the strut caused by fairings, strut may be repaired if groove is less than 0.020 inch and is more than 0.75 inch from a rivet center. For lower trailing edge strut damage (typically caused by door hitting strut), strut may be repaired if groove depth is less than 50% of original material thickness.
C. Damage Necessitating Replacement Of Parts: For grooves in the strut caused by fairings, strut must be replaced if groove exceeds 0.010 inch in depth and is less than 0.75 inch from a rivet center AND/OR if groove exceeds 0.020 inch in depth and is more than 0.75 inch from a rivet center. For lower trailing edge strut damage (typically caused by door hitting strut), strut must be replaced if groove is deeper than 50% of the original material thickness."

I ended up finding a serviceable strut, got the paint matched, and had it installed. I also installed Door Stewards at this time. All in for about $1800. Maybe it would have been fine to smooth out and fly, but I never want to hit some turbulence with my family and have that in the back of my mind.

Back