Door seals not worth it

I used Style E on my venture canopy. The foam is the best option as the rubber was too stiff. It has held up well for 3 years and counting. If you store your airplane in a private hangar it helps to leave the door open so that the seals don't take a set.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#door-weatherstripping/=1e8oyhs
New user here...so apologies for lighting up an old dark thread. The McMaster link is no longer valid...can someone link me the seal being discussed in this conversation? Wanting to see the specs on the seal as compared to K2U C177 seal. Thank you.

3393RP is right. This product rocks when its glued with 3M 8008 Yellow adhesive, that has the surface prepped properly (all old glue removed), and properly applied.
Exactly right^^^^^^

I used it on a 172 where all the seals get glued to the doors and not the fuselage so it is out of harms way.
One of the best upgrades I did to my old plane, especially helps during the winter to keep us warmer.
Mine has been on for years now. 4-5 years.
I didn't know they had "peel and stick"
IMO key is prep.
I advertise this stuff all the time and use it a lot on all kinds of projects. Get's all the adhesive off without any harm to the original surface , paint, windows, plastic etc. Works fast.
IMG_0055.JPG

This what my door looked like cleaned up. The door edge was bare when new, the adhesive remover Did Not remove any paint.
IMG_0054.JPG

I used "baby snot" glue only black. I put a strip on the seal and the door and let set for 3-5 minutes then stuck it on. Sticks real good.
IMG_0057.JPG

Really nice stuff IMO, the best material I have ever used for weather stripping as I have done quite a bit of auto and truck restoration.
IMG_0058.JPG

Before
IMG_0061.JPG

After, only took 2 red shop rags and 5 minutes to remove.
IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

All doors closed nicely with no interference. Way better than any hardware store weather stripping. Not original design but I am OK with that as it works well.
IMG_0074.JPG

Last edited:
@Gary Ward Do you think that Car Brite adhesive remover is the same at 3M adhesive remover? I bought a new baggage door seal for my 182 and already have the 3M product.

@Gary Ward Do you think that Car Brite adhesive remover is the same at 3M adhesive remover? I bought a new baggage door seal for my 182 and already have the 3M product.
NO!! Car Brite is much better, way better and safer.
But I bet the 3M will get the job done.

Last edited:
My wife uses it to remove stains, markers sometimes and adhesive off of antiques. She was thrilled when I gave her a little jar full as it worked so much better than goo gone or anything else she had tried. It has a ok odor that she can tolerate. Does not dry our your hands much. I work bare handed with it.

Last edited:
The Cessna window seal I bought from this company (aircraftdoorseals.com) was stick-on foam weather stripping identical to what you would find at the big box store. Only difference is they charge $60/roll. Needless to say I sent it back. Kind of odd the site does not show a close-up or cross-section of the actual product you are buying. Probably because sales would drop to zero.

I second the suggestion to use McMaster Carr. They have what you need at a reasonable price.

C.

I bought a seal kit from the listed company through knots2u for my 182 baggage compartment. It is the one that requires adhesive. The quality is as good, if not better than, the original.

I just installed a seal from www.aircraftdoorseals.com. So far, so good.

It is important to lubricate the door seal with the pure silicone grease they give you with the kit, before you close the door the first time. My seal required mounting with weather strip adhesive (i.e., they were not peel-and-stick). The instructions say to let the adhesive on the seals set-up after installation (I waited 24 hours), grease the seals, and then close the door for a couple of days. I followed the instructions to the letter, and so far the door has been easy to open and close, and there are no signs that the seals are binding or otherwise not fitting properly.

I suppose time will tell whether the seal is durable, but my hope is that with (at least) annual lubrication with pure silicone grease, the seals will stay soft and pliable, and not come apart as OP described.

Back