door lock replacement

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
Anyone know where I can get replacement locks for a 1968 172I?

Are there any places to get used parts for this kind of thing?

You can go to a Cessna dealer and pay upwards of $43 dollars or you can buy an off the shelf cam lock for about $3 dollars.

I was just going to take my locks out, go to a locksmith, and find an equivalent Medeco set to what they sell on that website for $100 each. No idea what it will cost, but my guess is a lot less.

The factory locks are such junk, I would not put those back in.

I was just going to take my locks out, go to a locksmith, and find an equivalent Medeco set to what they sell on that website for $100 each. No idea what it will cost, but my guess is a lot less.

The factory locks are such junk, I would not put those back in.
Hmmm.
Peggy, there's good and bad with the regs. The summary is you want an experimental aircraft, so you should buy one and get rid of your 172.

I would like the flexibility of experimental, but I like enough other aspects of certified that I will stick with those.

Cessna locks are as stated, cheap disk cabinet locks. My locksmith smirks and says "what did you say this locks again" when we have him work on them. As pointed out, you can put slightly better locks on but to what end? First the doors on the Cessna are so flimsy that all you really need to do is jam something in the keyway and you can rotate the entire lock assembly and open the door. Locks only keep the honest out. Similarly most cessna doors can be popped just by prying on them regardless of them being locked.

Cessna locks are as stated, cheap disk cabinet locks. My locksmith smirks and says "what did you say this locks again" when we have him work on them. As pointed out, you can put slightly better locks on but to what end? First the doors on the Cessna are so flimsy that all you really need to do is jam something in the keyway and you can rotate the entire lock assembly and open the door. Locks only keep the honest out. Similarly most cessna doors can be popped just by prying on them regardless of them being locked.

Agree ,any triple A driver can force the Cessna lock with the air bladder they use on cars,basically the lock keeps the door closed . Not effective for security.

For the same reason you put an anti-theft device on your car. It makes it more likely someone will go to the next one instead of yours.

I'll add one more reason. I like the details of having locks that actually feel worth being on an airplane and not something that's loose, doesn't turn properly, etc. Call me silly for it, but these details are important to me.

Back