Doomsday Clock

I wanna be in the air a few miles away flying away from it, get some serious tail winds and finally find out if wind shear causes stalls.

After tower and approach are closed, does all B, C, and D space revert to E or G space?

I really don't think we're any closer than we were in the 60's. Also, if anything over there has anti-freeze in it, I'd say there's a decent chance that somebody drank it and they won't launch right. The other option is that someone takes out the crazy little guy before he goes nuts, along the lines of Stalin to Khrushchev...or at least how I think the S-K transition went.

I really don't think we're any closer than we were in the 60's.

Well, if there really is such an event somewhere in the future, we are now about 60 years closer to it than we were in the 1960s.

Also, if anything over there has anti-freeze in it, I'd say there's a decent chance that somebody drank it and they won't launch right.

As far as nukes go, bear in mind that electronics degrade with long-term exposure to radiation. There are ways to mitigate this, and I won't go into details about degradation and mitigation for obvious reasons, but I'd be surprised if Russia's nuclear weapons worked even half as well as their other military equipment (which hasn't done very well).

The other option is that someone takes out the crazy little guy before he goes nuts,...

I suspect that very thing is being encouraged quietly in various ways by various state actors. It could have some serious unintended consequences, however.

Well, if there really is such an event somewhere in the future, we are now about 60 years closer to it than we were in the 1960s.

I think that's only true if things are predestined, and there's enough randomness in the physics of so many things, that I don't think that's possible. Too many dice rolls.

I think that's only true if things are predestined, and there's enough randomness in the physics of so many things, that I don't think that's possible. Too many dice rolls.

This could stray way off topic, and get the thread locked if we got too philosophical, but I generally agree that things are not predestined. I believe that free will exists, so I think we live in a non-deterministic universe.

"Randomness" isn't really proof of that, though; if the universe were deterministic, what we perceive as randomness would simply be a measure of our lack of knowledge and corresponding inability to predict the future state. IOW, just because we are unable to predict the future doesn't mean that the future isn't predictible given complete knowledge.

But enough mushroom clouds will make the whole thing moot anyway. The meek will inherit the earth, but no one said it wouldn't be radioactive when they get it.

I don't think the future is predestined, but on the other hand, if there are so many random events and every event can only create a certain set of results and given complete knowledge and a brain that could process it, it should be theoretically possible to figure out what interlocking pieces are being fit together and how it will look in the end by filtering out mutually-exclusive results. I could be wrong, though, because every time I try to think of all that actually entails, my brain tries to explode. Maybe someday, a computer will turn all of the human existence into an equation. :cool::p:eek:

As far as nukes go, bear in mind that electronics degrade with long-term exposure to radiation.
Forget electronics, some nuclear stuff in them has a 12-ish year half-life. Have they cycled through and replenished it?

I assume that would apply in the event of a MAD event that eliminated ATC, but does it matter?
If the IRS has a post apocalypse plan then so does the FAA. What does getting violated by the Mad Max FAA even look like?

My bet on lack of predictability is just a guess, but based on an understanding that at a very micro level, randomness is pretty easy to prove. Electrical noise over a diode junction, for instance, or radioactive decay. To me it would take philosophical leap to make true white noise predictable. So if that scales up to genetics, and the effect on people, I think that's enough to move history around a bunch..even minor changes. Lot's of speculation in there, though.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but...

Google Private does not prevent sending information to our Google overlords. Its function is to not store the information on your computer. From Google Support:

Is Google private browsing really private?

In Incognito, none of your browsing history, cookies and site data, or information entered in forms are saved on your device. This means your activity doesn't show up in your Chrome browser history, so people who also use your device won't see your activity.
I would certainly appreciate it if someone could prove me wrong.

Either way, "I, for one, welcome our new overlords"
VPN. Firefox. DuckDuckGo. Settings to clear cache and cookies on session termination. Logon to Google, check email, close session. FB gets "fed" from plenty of sites even when you aren't logged on, as well. VPN helps with that.

I used to live in metro DC. 17 primary targets in a very small CEP. It's gonna be quite warm on the Beltway.

Years ago the Japanese Red Army was protesting the visit of a US nuke carrier - one of the swabbos peeled off his top and revealed a t-shirt with a mushroom cloud and a caption reading "Remember when it was 5,000 degrees in the shade?" . . .disquiet ensued.

I was at Fairchild AFB for survival school, a BUFF base, and some of the young airmen had similar T-shirts printed - B-52 in the foreground, mushroom cloud in the background, and the caption read "NOW it's Miller Time." They had another very similar shirt, captioned "Reach out and touch someone" - I thunk the BUFF pictured had just launched a stand-off weapon.

RUMINT was the base commander wanted that display stopped - don't know how it came out - I was only there for a relatively brief period of abuse.

I used to have a photo similar to this one on my cube wall at work. Sometimes people would say "That's beautiful! What is it?" And I'd reply "That's what the end of the world looks like."

Once, though, a consultant from some networking company walked by, pointed, and said "That's cool. Kwajalein?" Turns out he'd been stationed there when he was in the military. Air Force I think. Anyway, the pic is what incoming MIRVs looks like, possibly time exposure, not sure. I mostly put it up because it looked cool, and there is some sort of irony in that actually being pretty, and that maybe it would be the last thing people remember.

Attachments

• size0-full-army.mil-100159-2011-02-23-100208.jpg
    size0-full-army.mil-100159-2011-02-23-100208.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 14
Back