Don't get lost in Nevada

What the $&@)?! That's just WRONG... that's what your taxes pay for. I see it's the guv'nor's call? That's one man who won't be getting re-elected by anybody interested in aviation, hiking, exploring, offroading, etc.

I just forwarded that link to my brother who lives in Nevada. I suggested that they need a new one. We'll see what he says. I know he spends time in the outdoors - he runs the hydrology operations for Newmont Mining in Nevada.

I heard something similar to this a few years ago. Apparently somewhere in the western mountains, they were trying to pass a bill that would charge for rescue efforts for people that got stuck doing 'extreme' sports/outdoors type stuff.

I don't think this falls into that category, though. It was simply an everyday airplane ride gone wrong.

I heard something similar to this a few years ago. Apparently somewhere in the western mountains, they were trying to pass a bill that would charge for rescue efforts for people that got stuck doing 'extreme' sports/outdoors type stuff.

I don't think this falls into that category, though. It was simply an everyday airplane ride gone wrong.

When I used to live in Colorado, seems like there was always some discussion about billing the dummies who get lost and need to be found. They'll have a highway map, maybe a hiking GPS, and can't find their way back to the trail.

Yeah, a missing plane is a different category.

Many towns and counties have taken to billing for am-bou-lance calls if you call 911. They do it because insurance will pay. Which then becomes a hidden tax as it raises everyone's health insurance rates.

It's really no different than "soak the tourist" taxes.

Greed is not limited to the private sector.

Greed is not limited to the private sector.

Ha, yeah that's the truth. Governments always cry for more tax revenue instead of reducing spending instead. I think the framers of the Constitution should have put strict controls on government growth and spending. The theory was a small centralized government that left power to the states. Now states are even like mini-Feds, and don't get me going about school boards and property taxes. :rolleyes:

don't get me going about school boards and property taxes.

The ad valorem tax on a $450,000 house in San Antonio is $12,000 per year. About half of that is school taxes.

Complain as you will, but it's real sticker shock.

What the $&@)?! That's just WRONG... that's what your taxes pay for. I see it's the guv'nor's call? That's one man who won't be getting re-elected by anybody interested in aviation, hiking, exploring, offroading, etc.

Agree that it's wrong. But, I wonder if an average Joe like me went missing if they would have spent $687,000 to find me. I can't help but to think not...

Trapper John

Agree that it's wrong. But, I wonder if an average Joe like me went missing if they would have spent $687,000 to find me. I can't help but to think not...

Trapper John

I can assure you they would not. But you're right, it's wrong.

There are people who will go off into dangerous territory without proper instruction or gear. These are the people who cause others to risk their lives and spend their time and money to launch a rescue. In the case of Steve Fossett, he had the experience and training for the flight he took and the rescue effort was quite reasonable (though enormously expensive).

I have a friend who was an experienced mountain-climber. An acquaintance came to him once and asked him to guide his family to the summit of Mount Washington. He checked the weather and declined, telling the acquaintance, "If you go up there today, you'll freeze to death." Shortly thereafter, my friend was in the search party that found said acquaintance and his family frozen in a huddle on a shelf just short of the summit on Mount Washington. Should the state pay for that?

In Colorado, they WILL bill you for S+R costs... unless you happen to have a Colorado Fishing or Hunting License! Added on the license fee is a small charge which covers 100% of any S+R costs which might be incurred in your recovery. That small charge used to be optional, but is now included on every license sold.

Out of staters- if you plan to go camping or hiking in the backcountry- buy a fishing license and know that you will never be back charged for any S+R costs!

Better yet- don't get lost and donate to your local S+R group anyway!

Geesh, don't call an EMT in Florida either
EMT sues woman, claiming she was injured on emergency call

Related Content

The Associated Press

MOUNT DORA, Fla. --

A Lake County firefighter-emergency medical technician has sued an 84-year-old woman whose home she responded to on a May 2005 call.Jennifer Roland seeks unspecified damages of more than $15,000 in her lawsuit, which was filed a year ago. Roland claims she hurt her back and neck when a fire engine's front wheel broke through a septic tank lid at Elizabeth Baker's home.
http://www.bradenton.com/331/story/579219.html

Not unusual for a municipality to bill for SAR charges. I'm all for it in certain situations.

I hate to let a fact get in the way of a perfectly good opinion, but according to the following (published in the NY Times), the effort to collect the fees is totally voluntary on the part of Mrs. Fossett:

A spokesman for Gov. Jim Gibbons, a Republican, said Friday that Mr. Fossett’s widow, Peggy, would soon receive a request for a “totally voluntary” contribution.

-Skip

Back