Don't fly that low!

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Heard this on the news this morning.

I guess if you snag somebody's fishing line, it's kind of hard to argue that you weren't flying too low! :fingerwag: :nono:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D9GHABQ80.html

Pilot loses license after buzzing Texas beach

Federal officials have revoked the pilot's license of a man who buzzed a crowd on a Galveston County beach, flying a single-engine plane as low as 15 feet about the ground and snagging a fishing line.

Joseph Bryan Kirbow flew so low during the March incident that the plane snagged a man's line and broke his fishing pole, while wind from the plane blew another man's hat off, the Federal Aviation Administration said Wednesday.

Planes must fly at least 1,000 feet in the air except during take off or landing, FAA spokesman Lynn Lunsford said.

Kirbow surrendered his airman certificate "immediately" after receiving the FAA's June 16 revocation letter and can't apply for a new license for at least a year, Lunsford said.

Phone numbers were not listed for Kirbow's home address in Beaumont nor his company where the plane was registered, Kirbow Transportation Enterprises, in Nederland, Texas.

During the flight, one of Kirbow's two passengers asked if they would be in trouble for flying so low, according to the FAA investigation. Kirbow said he had "buzzed the beach many times" and "would not get in trouble for it."

One witness, Terry Rodery of Santa Fe, told investigators he thought the plane was going to crash until he saw the pilot smile and buzz the group at least twice.

I love the part about the one dude's hat.... Was that really the critical piece that held the article together?

"Grandpa's hat flew off his head *OOOOOOOOHH THE HUMMMAANNIIIITTTEÁÁÁÁÁÁ*"

:rolleyes:

500' slant range right fellas?....... :D

I love the part about the one dude's hat.... Was that really the critical piece that held the article together?

"Grandpa's hat flew off his head *OOOOOOOOHH THE HUMMMAANNIIIITTTEÁÁÁÁÁÁ*"

:rolleyes:

500' slant range right fellas?....... :D
I'm pretty sure it was QUITE a shock. I hardly recall my own father ever being outside without a hat. It might have been the very first time the kid saw him "naked".

A long time ago, a Naval Aviator who was hiding some eyesight problems came back to the carrier in his F-4 after an authorized low-level training flight -- minus most of the centerline drop tank. Now that's "too low."

Multiple passes. Dumb. What was it that Martha Lunkin said in her column in Flying magazine a couple months ago about the rules on buzz jobs? Oh yeah, "Do it fast. Do it low. Do it ONCE."

Multiple passes. Dumb. What was it that Martha Lunkin said in her column in Flying magazine a couple months ago about the rules on buzz jobs? Oh yeah, "Do it fast. Do it low. Do it ONCE."
Even fighter bombers don't "reattack" a target. That's just inviting trouble.
On other news, a LSA pilot got a favorable opinion from the FAA for his Statue of Liberty flight.

Regarding the LSA attack on the Statue of Liberty: I wonder if he would have gotten off without having his own in-flight video that proved he didn't fly as close as reported...?

Regarding the LSA attack on the Statue of Liberty: I wonder if he would have gotten off without having his own in-flight video that proved he didn't fly as close as reported...?
After reading the EAA story, one lesson for all of us is if you get in this situation, don't talk to reporters. At least, not until you get competent advice on handling them and have a prepared statement that has been reviewed for potential mouth-footers.

I'm surprised that he didn't get nailed with something - no matter how legal he was - just because "they" demanded it.

Reporter: Why were you so close to the Statue of Liberty?
Me: Because **** I **** was **** legal **** there **** go **** away **** ****.

No soundbyte there. (edit: those are swear words)

Or:

Reporter: Why were you so close to the statue?
Me: I like pie.

After reading the EAA story, one lesson for all of us is if you get in this situation, don't talk to reporters. At least, not until you get competent advice on handling them and have a prepared statement that has been reviewed for potential mouth-footers.
Reporters WILL twist your words to fit the facts of the story they write. They are not your friend. They need to write a story that will get published. The more sensational, the better the chance.

Back