Donation or Air Carrier Operation?

Wheels

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Wheels
I know the best answer is to consult a lawyer or contact the FSDO but this is just a mental exercise, not something I am actually doing.

If a Commercial Pilot who owns their own plane volunteers to fly a college coach on recruiting visits and pays all expenses relating to the flight is it legal (from an FAA standpoint, I'm not concerned with what the NCAA or other collegiate athletic body thinks)? The pilot has no reason to travel to the destination other than to provide transportation to the coach.

In the same instance if a booster organization (registered 501c3) reimburses the pilot for the coaches pro rata share of the expenses is it legal?

How about if the booster organization pays for all of the fuel and other expenses and the pilot donates the use of the plane and their time to fly it?

I know the best answer is to consult a lawyer or contact the FSDO but this is just a mental exercise, not something I am actually doing.

If a Commercial Pilot who owns their own plane volunteers to fly a college coach on recruiting visits and pays all expenses relating to the flight is it legal (from an FAA standpoint, I'm not concerned with what the NCAA or other collegiate athletic body thinks)? The pilot has no reason to travel to the destination other than to provide transportation to the coach.
"Depends on your relationship with the..." Is what I got once when I asked. In this case, it would be your relationship with the coach.
In the same instance if a booster organization (registered 501c3) reimburses the pilot for the coaches pro rata share of the expenses is it legal?
Probably the same as above.

How about if the booster organization pays for all of the fuel and other expenses and the pilot donates the use of the plane and their time to fly it?
you're no longer giving a free ride or sharing allowed expenses. Looks to me like this clearly goes into the realm of 135, since the pilot is providing the airplane.

If a Commercial Pilot who owns their own plane volunteers to fly a college coach on recruiting visits and pays all expenses relating to the flight is it legal (from an FAA standpoint
Yes, that is legal.

Add to your analysis: The pro rata share exception to prohibiting compensation requires the pilot have a reason for the trip other than transportation of the passengers.

Get the booster organization to buy a plane and let you fly it.

Or more realistically have them rent/lease a plane and hire you to fly it. If you're commercially rated you should be able to answer this question yourself really. I had to answer it on my check ride.

The NCAA probably wouldn't care as long as you don't go with them to the recruiting meeting. At that point you would become a booster having contact with a recruit which is supposed to be a no-no.

Back