Don’t Fly Through Thunderstorms

And for further analysis we go to Anderson Cooper who is with our aviation expert Captain Sully Sullenberger, hero of the miracle on the Hudson.

Cooper: Captain Sullenberger, what do you attribute this horrific incident to?

Sully: Karma, baby, karma.

Cooper: Karma? Really?

Sully: Well that and the fact that if god had intended geese to fly he would have given them IFR capabilities. Oh and TCAS, they really need TCAS.

I’m relieved to know it wasn’t the hail ,but the lightning.

A couple geese, apparently already dead, punched through the leading edge of a C-141 wing long ago. Speculation was they were caught in a cell's updraft, died from hypoxia and freezing cold.

We had a power outage last summer that I found was caused by a subsequently electrocuted squirrel chewing on the transformer. Little rodent was still smoking.

We had a power outage last summer that I found was caused by a subsequently electrocuted squirrel chewing on the transformer. Little rodent was still smoking.

They blow up around here, with a large bang, happens all the time, sometimes it trips a breaker and causes a black out, sometimes it just makes the lights blink.

Well, they do say smoking kills...

The next door neighbor, no not that one, the one on the other side, installed a new water tank and water troughs for the cattle. Three quarters of the way up the hill at the back of the farm.
Less than a month later the system took a massive lightning strike, killed half a dozen or so cows, and blew chunks of the water tank et al 100 yards from the impact point.
There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth as this was very expensive breeding stock, and "act of God" is (apparently) not covered.
The new installation is farther down the hill.

The next door neighbor, no not that one, the one on the other side, installed a new water tank and water troughs for the cattle. Three quarters of the way up the hill at the back of the farm.
Less than a month later the system took a massive lightning strike, killed half a dozen or so cows, and blew chunks of the water tank et al 100 yards from the impact point.
There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth as this was very expensive breeding stock, and "act of God" is (apparently) not covered.
A cow struck by lightning is not a pretty sight, particularly after a few days in the summer sun. I just wanted to share that for everyone's benefit.

Many years back we lost 4 horses that were standing under a tree during a thunderstorm.

Well how could you have lost them if they were standing under a tree? They're right there, under the tree @Zeldman. Or were you barking at the wrong tree? o_O'

They weren't race horses were they?... named like, maybe, Lucky Strike or Thunderbolt, or Smokin' Joe

Well done, medium rare?

Take one back hoe, dig one big hole, take 4 dead horses and push them into the hole. Add many cross ties, 50 gallons of diesel, then 5 gallons of gas to get things going, light one torch, get up wind and toss torch into hole. Back away quickly.

Back