Dollar a Shave Club ?

I saw the ad. I am not sure I would try it, though. I am pretty particular about the blades I use.

I use them and buy the blade that's equal to the Gillete sensor ( two blades) $3.00 per month. Blades are only a buck but shipping is two. So my experience after about 10 months is that the blades in my opinion are inferior to the name brand such a Gillete. For me each blade lasts no more than a week, but they give you five blades so you just change them every week. What your paying for IMHO is convenience.

I do their mid-level plan and am quite satisfied with it. They send more then I need.

Ya, I saw this too.

I used Gillette blades until I discovered Schick Platinum. They cost more, but the result is incredible. They stay sharp, much longer.:goofy:

Nothing seems to cost more than the Fusion blades I have been using. I used to use Sensor, but I get less bleeding and burn with the Fusion and they last a long time. Maybe I will try it. It is pretty cheap.

I just got the first set of blades/handle from them. It's about a quarter of what the drug store blades cost. Worth a try...

USRazor.com

Gillette sensor knockoff handle and 4 cartridges $5.99 shipping included off EBay.

Just as close, last just as long as far as I can tell.

I use an electric razor. My blades cost me $0.00

Terry
ASEL-IR

Yeah, my electric razor was purchase long, long ago, don't even know how long. It has quickly done the deed for many years. And, now that I'm sporting a beard, the poor thing has even less to do.

I honestly couldn't imagine using a razor.

Yeah, my electric razor was purchase long, long ago, don't even know how long. It has quickly done the deed for many years. And, now that I'm sporting a beard, the poor thing has even less to do.

I honestly couldn't imagine using a razor.

I found electrics give me razor burn.:yikes:

Mine did for the first couple days, the brochure that came with it said it might. Unsurprising, I have very fair skin. But after awhile I got used to it.

I have a thick beard and sensitive skin. I used an electric when I first started shaving for a few years, but it is pretty harsh on me.

I debilitated on this very issue about a year ago and opted for an electric foil shaver for my daily shaving needs. Every one or two weeks I'll shave with a blade just to start with a fresh base but it's been working out quite well. My skin gets jacked up if I shave with a blade every day.

I have a thick beard and sensitive skin. I used an electric when I first started shaving for a few years, but it is pretty harsh on me.

I got razor burn but it was because I was pushing too hard. After I learn to let up on the pressure it has been just fine.

I also have a bad habit of pushing real hard when I write. In the old days if I was making 5 copies with carbon paper, I had no problem.

To this day I still can't write with a mechanical pencil because I break the lead. With fountain pens, I would literally split the head of the fountain pen.

So you can understand why an electric razor works great for me. I used to rip my face to shreds trying to use blades. :hairraise:

Terry
ASEL-IR,HP

I got razor burn but it was because I was pushing too hard. After I learn to let up on the pressure it has been just fine.

I also have a bad habit of pushing real hard when I write. In the old days if I was making 5 copies with carbon paper, I had no problem.

To this day I still can't write with a mechanical pencil because I break the lead. With fountain pens, I would literally split the head of the fountain pen.

So you can understand why an electric razor works great for me. I used to rip my face to shreds trying to use blades. :hairraise:

Terry
ASEL-IR,HP

Yeah, I have that writing issue, too. :yes:

I found electrics give me razor burn.:yikes:
And they do a crappy job. When I was younger I went through all sorts of electric razors: Braun, Norelco, even Mr. Victor Kiam's I liked it so much I bought the company Remingtons. Not a single one comes close to shaving with a blade, even back in the old twin blade days.

And they do a crappy job. When I was younger I went through all sorts of electric razors: Braun, Norelco, even Mr. Victor Kiam's I liked it so much I bought the company Remingtons. Not a single one comes close to shaving with a blade, even back in the old twin blade days.

Agreed.:)

Nice use of a referral link masked as a question... ;)

What are you girls using to get more volume in your hair? :stirpot:

Please send in your man cards. :D

Seems like a pretty good deal. Razors are expensive as hell.

I debilitated on this very issue about a year ago and opted for an electric foil shaver for my daily shaving needs. Every one or two weeks I'll shave with a blade just to start with a fresh base but it's been working out quite well. My skin gets jacked up if I shave with a blade every day.

Huh ???????

Huh ???????

It might have something to do with foil. It is not only good for debilitating, but also cooking and staving off alien radio waves.

What is this "shaving" of which you speak?

It sounds like some sort of primative torture to me.

Re: What is this "shaving" of which you speak?

It sounds like some sort of primative torture to me.

I shave maybe once a month -- twice if there's some special event I have to attend or I have to get photographed for some reason.

I buy a bag of Rite-Aid store brand razors every couple of years, and I'm good to go.

-Rich

I shave maybe once a month -- twice if there's some special event I have to attend or I have to get photographed for some reason.

I buy a bag of Rite-Aid store brand razors every couple of years, and I'm good to go.

-Rich

Well, the mountain man look doesn't work for everyone. ;)

Following Clark Howard's advice, I just started rinsing and drying off my normal, disposable (but 4 bladed) razor after I shave. Just doing that simple step, the thing lasts me months. Like 6? I lose track. Once it cuts me twice, I toss it. (I allow the first cut for the possibility of me just being stupid.) I like the ones with swiveling heads, but pretty much whatever's on sale in a 3-pack at the time, which lasts me around 18 months. Well over a year anyway. Just by drying it off.

(Note, I shave about 5 days a week, and my beard is relatively heavy.)

Yep, the premature killer of the fine (i.e., the modern multi blade razers) is oxidation. I keep the blades not in use away from the steamy bathroom.

But anyhow, the name brand blades are a racket. There's just no justification for how expensive they are except that they CAN get away with it. I'll let you know how the dollar a shave turns out, I've got no vested interest in it and at the $9 I'm paying even for the top end plan, it's worth a shot.

I use a Merkur safety razor. The Merkur may have cost a bunch up front, but the blades are cheap and last a while. The cost of using this Shave Club is equivalent to or just slightly less than what I pay, and the shave is likely inferior to my Merkur.

Let's talk about this for a second... I just paid $28 for an 8 pack of 5-blade Gillette cartridges. This 8 pack will probably last at least 3-4 months, assuming I change blades every two weeks, which is probably a bit more often than I actually do.

The equivalent Dollar Shave blade is $9/month, so for the same time frame you spend $27 - $36. The math says I'm either the same or worse with the Dollar Shave club.

Is my math wrong somewhere?

Let's talk about this for a second... I just paid $28 for an 8 pack of 5-blade Gillette cartridges. This 8 pack will probably last at least 3-4 months, assuming I change blades every two weeks, which is probably a bit more often than I actually do.

The equivalent Dollar Shave blade is $9/month, so for the same time frame you spend $27 - $36. The math says I'm either the same or worse with the Dollar Shave club.

That is probably right, except they have 6 blades and you don't have to remember to pick them up at the store (a problem I have). I just used my last Fusion cartridge, yesterday. They do last a long time though. Almost a month, typically.

I go through the 5-blade Gillettes every few days. That's where it helps.

With the exception of basic training, I have worn a beard since I was old enough to grow one, which in my case was when I was 15.

My reasons for having a beard never had nothing to do with actually liking beards. I don't "like" beards any more than I like, for example, eyebrows. It is what it is. But I had a real problem understanding the point in going out and spending money on shaving paraphernalia, as well as the time spent shaving every day, to remove something that would be back by nightfall. It seemed like an awful waste of money and time.

This thread reinforces my belief that I made the right decision at 15. My shaveable area consists of a little bit of neck and a wee bit of upper cheek, which gets shaved once a month -- whether it needs it or not -- or when I have some social event to attend or have to be photographed for some reason (which is rare now that I no longer need umpteen work-related security passes). So a single cheap razor lasts me for months.

Both inflation and the variable cost of shaving paraphernalia prices make it difficult to estimate how much money I have saved over the decades, but I have to figure it's at least $10K if the cost of shaving cream and after shave are factored in. Add in the cost of my time not spent in the daily ritual of scraping off that which grows naturally on my countenance, and surely the amount I've saved at least doubles.

-Rich

How bout that beard trimmer you had to buy to keep you from looking like the duck commander guys?

11692563-large.jpg

Back