Doing your CFI training at the school where you want to work

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
So, there's a local operation that is looking for CFIs. I'm about to really dig into my CFI rating and wonder if it would be a good idea to do my CFI training at that school in the hopes of landing one of their open CFI spots.

Thoughts?

The job market is such that most flight schools have been hurting for CFIs and will probably hire you even if you didn't do your training with them. That said, is there a good reason not to get your training at the place you want to work?

That said, is there a good reason not to get your training at the place you want to work?

I wouldn't think so but was wondering if that was a standard practice. I was planning on doing most of my CFI training as self-study since all my other ratings were done on my own in terms of ground work.

It's kinda a old and good custom to get your CFI where you want to work, I don't see a reason to do it any other way.

That's how I did it. 141 school and then started instructing when I hit the CFI, CFII, and MEI plus they had a 135 Certificate too. 5 310s, 2 402s, and a bunch of SE planes.

That's how I did it. 141 school and then started instructing when I hit the CFI, CFII, and MEI plus they had a 135 Certificate too. 5 310s, 2 402s, and a bunch of SE planes.

Yeah, this is a part 141 operation with a 135 on the side.

Just about any school will hire you so I don’t think it would make a difference. I did my CFI and with the same school that hired me.

Do you want to instruct for a 141 operation or would you prefer to be an independent contractor for a Part 61 operator?

Yeah, this is a part 141 operation with a 135 on the side.

Probably teach for them and fly 135 when you acquire the required hours for 135. Sounds like you found your school!

Last edited:
Do you want to instruct for a 141 operation or would you prefer to be an independent contractor for a Part 61 operator?

Not sure yet. I'm making decent money now, 40 years old, with a family. I suppose I could quit and just teach full time and not make much and get to a Part 121/135 sooner or I could hang onto my dayjob and do Part 61 work on weekends and summer months...

Haven't made up my mind yet. Plus, what do I tell the wife if I go full time Part 141? Honey, I'm going to make $30k next year and be happy about it. lol

Back