D'oh!! checkride postponed

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Can't fight mother nature, or maintenance.

Had one last practice flight with CFI scheduled yesterday, then the checkride (PP) for tomorrow.

problem 1-

Airplane has been in/out of the shop a few times for a bad turn coordinator, flight school has been shuffling me back and forth between two airplanes. Hard to review the logs when you don't know from hour-to-hour which plane will be available for the checkride.

problem 2-

I'm getting ready for my flight yesterday, and the clouds and vis are both dropping, snow is moving in. Plane returns with a cfi and student, I start the preflight, already thinking this flight is off. I notice the ground under the engine is wet. Something is dripping from the cowling. Closer inspection shows a light coating of clear ice on the leading edges of the wings, cowling, nose gear. The return leg of their flight had been through light snow, neither student or cfi thought there was enough moisture to cause icing.

A few minutes later, another cfi landed and had also picked up ice.

Forcast for tomorrow is more of the same.

End result - flight canceled, and everything has been rescheduled for the first week in Jan (the first time I, cfi, airplane, and examiner can all get back together).

Oh well, I'll just have to do more solo practice.

Around here, it is rare that you can do the checkride the first time!

wangmyers said:
Around here, it is rare that you can do the checkride the first time!

Here, too. These things happen. You'll get the planets in the right alignment yet. Took me two trips up to meet the examiner to get mine in. Did the oral the first time, didn't like the weather (didn't improve as expected) and flew home with the CFI on an IFR flight plan. Came back a few days later and flew on a nice day.

My experience was much the same as yours. Mother Nature hates checkrides!

-Skip

It took two postponements for my PP, and 4 for the IR. I've come to expect cancellations at this point.

Go ahead, laugh about it. My PPL was cancelled multiple times. Wx, mx, double bookings, DE schedules, all added up to 2 months of waiting all the while I'm worried that the knowledge gained is leaking out of my head.

My IR ride was cancelled twice for....wx! But the biggest ****er there was I was ready just a few weeks prior to Christmas and my CFII left out of town for the Holidays without telling me and without the sign off. He was gone for 3 weeks. I was steaming! After some scrambling was I able to find a replacement II but she was leaving for Dallas to interview with AA and would not be able to complete the amount of instruction she required before providing the sign off. 1.5 months wait. It was another opportunity to learn patience. I'm a poor student in that.

Hang in there, you will get 'er done.
I am also in the club of cancelled rides. I showed up for my instrument ride (after studying late, not sleeping well, unable to follow Ron's advise, etc) and the first thing I hear is "Oh, didn't anyone call you? The DE had to cancel this morning, he rescheduled for tomorrow morning" Boy was I **ssed.
A little extra time never hurt, good luck
Don

It's not too big of a deal. I got cured of that 'get-there-itis' early in my training.

I think my wife was more disappointed than me.

Today was the day originally scheduled for the checkride, we're looking at about 1"-3" snow all day.

Actually, with the rescheduling, I can relax a bit now until after Christmas/New Year and recover from all the family/in-law effort that's required.

If the worst that happens is that my current issue of the A/FD expires, then it's no big deal at all.

I forgot about this thread.

A few months ago I did my instrument checkride. I had to deal with an inop turn coordinator for this one, too. The mechanic swapped it out for a TC he stole from another plane.

So I’m 2 for 2 for turn coordinators on checkrides.

I forgot about this thread.

A few months ago I did my instrument checkride. I had to deal with an inop turn coordinator for this one, too. The mechanic swapped it out for a TC he stole from another plane.

So I’m 2 for 2 for turn coordinators on checkrides.
Are you also 2 for 2 passing check rides? That is more important than the skullduggery necessary to get there.

I've got my PP-ASEL check set for 12/22 then my instrument check on 1/22. Having just solo'ed 10/24 and having 10 hrs XC it is going to be a tight squeeze to get 40 more XC hours before the instrument check this time of year on the gulf coast. That is my plan...however, God laughs at the plans of man :rolleyes:.

Proving once again: Mother Nature Hates Pp-asel Checkrides!

Hang in there! It will happen.

-Skip (victim of three weather-related postponements)
I feel like the OP may have had a chance to finish his private pilot check ride at some point in the 18 years between starting this thread and resurrecting it this week. :)

Ah, a few of the original folks in this thread. I miss the days of this place from early on.

Congrats on the Instrument ticket!

I used the search function for a post with a turn coordinator question. This thread popped up. I honestly had forgotten all about it.

Yes, I passed that PP checkride all those years ago and I passed the IR ride a few months ago.

Good times.

I used the search function for a post with a turn coordinator question. This thread popped up. I honestly had forgotten all about it.

Yes, I passed that PP checkride all those years ago and I passed the IR ride a few months ago.

Good times.
It is kind of crazy to think about everything that’s happened in the past almost-19 years. With the anachronism generated by a few posts from then to now, think about all the experiences you’ve had and what you might have told your 2005 self!

Congrats on the ticket(s)!

It is kind of crazy to think about everything that’s happened in the past almost-19 years. With the anachronism generated by a few posts from then to now, think about all the experiences you’ve had and what you might have told your 2005 self!

Congrats on the ticket(s)!
I was talking about that with someone the other day. My main PP trainer had no GPS. Another one had a 430, but it didn’t have that newfangled WAAS thing. Now we have PP trainers that are TAA. And ADSB, Foreflight, tablets, weather, traffic, and all those other things that we can’t seem to live without.

I started flying gliders but didn’t follow through far enough to get that add-on. I did tow for a few seasons, that was an adventure.

I added on complex and high performance.

I haven’t had an emergency yet, but I’ve witnessed several and watched a guy spin in.

It’s all been a great adventure.

Back