Dogs at Gaston's

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
So, Nick and whoever else brought your dogs to Gaston's last year... How dog-friendly are they there? Are dogs allowed in the rooms?

Thinkin' about bringin' the pooch this year:

DSCN0023_1.jpg

DSCN1594.jpg

They are very dog-friendly; Nick brought SkyDog (Piper), and Doctor Velez (or was it Markus?) brought their big ol' happy dog, whose name...

....whose name is Spike.

Only catch is, remember that you'll have to supervise pretty closely most of the time, as dog and runway are not the best combination.

Last year, with Piper, I always asked if someone would watch Piper before I left him near the runway alone. Luckily, someone was willing to watch him almost the entire weekend, it seems :D

Gastons appeared to be pretty pet friendly, aside from Piper, Teen Doc's son brought their dog, and there were about 30 other dogs that were there with other people not associated with the fly-in.

Piper stayed in the cabin with us, and he was not quite house trained yet....hopefully that hasn't ruined it for everyone by having them change their policy.

We pick up our new puppy this weekend, airplane willing, and who knows, maybe she'll show up at Gaston's too.

Attachments

• Miss Orange.JPG
    Miss Orange.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 62
Valentine the Wonder Rat Dog is a great airplane traveler, and I would love to bring her, but I shall not. She is *not* friendly with other dogs, and I have no idea why, but she treats any involvement with other pups as hostile acts, and has no fear of larger critters. Too much drama.

I need the dog whisperer, but am not flying the Rat to Kalifornia.

All this Gaston's talk has me excited.

Nick----- That is real important to have someone hold on to your dog around aircraft. I was at Red's horse ranch one time and a loose dog ran and jumped up and tried to bite the prop. They saved it I guess but they rushed him to a vet in La Grande, Or. to get his mouth and jaw repaired. So keep on having someone hang on to the dogs. Bob

Oh, and that is one hell of a dog!

Thanks! :) I do get a lot of compliments when I'm walking him on how good he looks. I don't even know exactly what his mix is. We thought it was mostly German Shepherd with a little Collie like our old one, but there must be something in there to give him that copper-colored fur. I've never seen another dog like him.

He looks like a sweetie Kent. Is he pretty people friendly? I love friendly dogs but sometimes some of them worry me. I was bit when I was 4 but that doesn't stop me from loving animals.

He looks like a sweetie Kent. Is he pretty people friendly? I love friendly dogs but sometimes some of them worry me.

VERY VERY VERY people friendly. :yes: He'd probably make a crappy guard dog. As long as the thieves would stop and pat him for a bit, ya know... :rofl:

In fact, I think he'd be in absolute heaven at Gaston's. He loves going on car trips (haven't taken him in the plane yet though), he loves people, and he loves playing with other dogs. I'd probably have to spend a bit training him to not walk on the runway without me, though. He's road-trained but the runway isn't paved. :no:

VERY VERY VERY people friendly. :yes: He'd probably make a crappy guard dog. As long as the thieves would stop and pat him for a bit, ya know... :rofl:

In fact, I think he'd be in absolute heaven at Gaston's. He loves going on car trips (haven't taken him in the plane yet though), he loves people, and he loves playing with other dogs. I'd probably have to spend a bit training him to not walk on the runway without me, though. He's road-trained but the runway isn't paved. :no:

Kent, I had worried about Valentine the Wonder Rat Dog and how she'd be in the plane, since we started flying to our log shack in the south, but had been told by the sage minds here at POA that, however she rides in the car, likely defines how she'd do in the plane, and it has proven quite true.

She knows how to hop up on the wing and on into the back seat, lickety-split, and after about 5 minutes, settles down to a relaxed dog-nap until short final.

Kent, I had worried about Valentine the Wonder Rat Dog and how she'd be in the plane, since we started flying to our log shack in the south, but had been told by the sage minds here at POA that, however she rides in the car, likely defines how she'd do in the plane, and it has proven quite true.

Well, let's see. The flight should go something like this, then... We get to the airport. Scout eagerly jumps in the back seat of the plane, eager to go wherever his humans go. We load the stuff in and take off. We cruise very low to avoid any altitude problems on his first flight. I open the window because he likes to smell everything when we go places.

He gets a rude awakening when he tries to stick his nose out the window at 135 knots. :rofl:

After a second time trying to stick his nose out the window, he simply sits in the back and sniffs deeply. He nudges me to be sure I still know he's there, and does so several more times on the way. Then, we get to Gaston's and take all of our stuff out of the plane, and Scout won't get out because he's afraid we'll leave him behind. We lug the stuff to the room and go back to the plane for the dog. He gets out, and proceeds to have the time of his life playing with the other dogs and all the humans. :)

So, Nick and whoever else brought your dogs to Gaston's last year... How dog-friendly are they there? Are dogs allowed in the rooms?
Oh, just a reminder about pets, here is a note from Gaston's web site in the FAQ's:

Do you allow pets?

Yes we do, just be sure that they are flea-free and bring a leash and anything else you need to help take care of your pet. Keep in mind that other pets will be here also so your pet must be on a leash when outside of the cottage.

Last year I stepped in dog poop twice and it wasn't so bad since I was getting into Chip's airplane. ;) :D But this year I hope to keep it out of mine. :yes:

Last edited:
Kent, your dog has one heck of an attitude. I mean sticking his tongue out at us and all :D:rofl:

Which explains why I sold the Citabria!! :rofl:
:D :D :D

Hey, funny thing about your Citabria...

One of the guys from the Citabria forum emailed me because he couldn't open my latest video link. We got to talking and he mentioned where he lived, and come to find out, he is one of the owners of N1843G. Small world. Maybe one of them will fly it to our fly-in.

devon1_1_.JPG

shades&%20tude.JPG

I'm bringing this guy. He's very people and dog friendly. He hasn't been in the plane yet, but has been in sand rails, rhinos, and gold carts so thinking the airplane will be no big deal.

Last year I stepped in dog poop twice and it wasn't so bad since I was getting into Chip's airplane. ;) :D But this year I hope to keep it out of mine. :yes:

Yikes. Hope that wasn't one of Piper's deeds. I tried to clean up after him, but to be honest, I only really saw one time when he went all weekend, so there's a good chance I missed some.

shades&%20tude.JPG

I'm bringing this guy. He's very people and dog friendly. He hasn't been in the plane yet, but has been in sand rails, rhinos, and gold carts so thinking the airplane will be no big deal.
Gosh, I wish I had a dog again. I'm not home enough to even be fair to my cat.

As a young kid, we had a German Shepherd. Duchess was a retired police dog. She had injured her face jumping through a clear glass window going after a burglar. For the first ten years of my life, not a soul could touch my sister or I. Duchess wouldn't even allow my parents to raise their voice at me. I was such a two-pint little runt I got picked on a lot by bigger kids. Once, I had Duchess with me walking down the road when along came two other kids. A coon dog had nothing on Duchess when it came to those kids stuck in a tree! :)

What a beautiful dog! There's a lot of truth in the saying that dogs generally behave in a small plane just like they do in a car or truck. Just don't try "floating" him a foot off the seat.:D

Thinkin' about bringin' the pooch this year:

DSCN0023_1.jpg

DSCN1594.jpg

Well, I guess the pup's not gonna make it after all. :( He's getting the standard old-german-shepherd back and hip problems and has trouble even getting in the van any more.

The last Shepherd didn't live too long after he started having these problems. :(

Well, I guess the pup's not gonna make it after all. :( He's getting the standard old-german-shepherd back and hip problems and has trouble even getting in the van any more.

The last Shepherd didn't live too long after he started having these problems. :(

Too bad. If you're not doing it, try giving him a children's aspirin every morning. It really improved the life of my Bullmastiff, who had hip displasia.

DO NOT use Tylenol (acetaminophen.)

I agree with Mike. We put our Rottie on childerns aspirin for about a year and it seemed to help with his hip problems.

I agree with Mike. We put our Rottie on childerns aspirin for about a year and it seemed to help with his hip problems.

We've got him on Prednisone to keep it in check as long as possible, and we have pain pills but he doesn't seem to be in any pain. He doesn't whine any more than usual and looks happy as can be, and the pain pills didn't change anything.

And of course, plans have changed again. He *is* coming to Gaston's unless he's dead or really can't get in the plane, as my brother has a trip leaving Friday now so there won't be anybody to take care of him and I am *not* putting him in a kennel for even a day. He needs his people. :yes:

I have seen what happens to dogs when given aspirin. It is a miracle how they respond to it. But alas it is just temporary, but for few hours they are pain free.

I'm bringing Nikki to Gaston's this year! :) They are pet-friendly and Nikki enjoys traveling with us. She will come up to you and ask when she needs to go out and is always perfect everywhere. I was reading Jesse's old epic house-hunting thread earlier and am speechless about the people who apparently let only partially house-trained dogs and cats live with them! :yikes: If you don't want to take the time to train your pet right, then they should be an "outside" pet, simple as that. That is disgusting! :nono:

This is my Nikki... the most beautiful, friendliest, best dog ever!

100_1035.jpg

Lynn:

Can't wait to meet her!

Nothing better than having some friendly pooches around.

My dog hated it. 90 degrees with all the humidity, he was miserable. I can't imagine subjecting a cold weather dog like a husky to that.

Nice, Lynn! As Ed said, it can be humid... me thinks Nikki will make good friends with the shade under the picnic bench (and Felix!) and ice cold water bowls.

I will be watching the weather... for more reasons than one! If it looks like it is going to be 100 degrees in the shade with 100% humidity, I wouldn't want her to have to deal with that either... but she is so social that I know she would rather be with us at Gaston's than stuck in a kennel here where she will maybe get let out twice a day and a dish of food shoved at her once a day. :( We did do that once and when we came back to pick her up she was SO excited to see us, it was almost sad. She needs her people! And loves meeting new ones, too! :)

What kind of dog do you have, Ed??

Those cross-breeds will lie about whether or not they're having a good time, just to put a guilt trip on you.

Boxer mix, the other half is probably Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Boxer mix, the other half is probably Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Maybe it is part something Leg hound, In the show Christmas Vacation, what kind of a dog did cousin Ed have? does anyone remember? I remember now, his name was Snot, and he was Mississippe Leg Hound.

Last edited:
...This is my Nikki... the most beautiful, friendliest, best dog ever!...

100_1035.jpg

Except for my Jake who is the best dog in the world.

When he's outside, you need to be sure he has lots and lots of water.

I subjected Pancho D. Bulldog to that heat and we didn't even have a cabin to cool off in. Luckily, Will let us use their cabin as respite. Bulldogs eeally don't like heat but she made me proud.

Remember they have to be on leash. That's an active runway out there.

Well, Nikki did great at Gaston's! :) Not exactly lovin' on the heat, but still smiling for the camera:

100_2551.jpg

Got this photo of Jake also:

100_2555.jpg

He's a sweet dog, Mike. :)

It was a treat to meet Nikki, and Jake. More proof, nice people have nice dogs... or is it, nice dogs have nice people?

Either way... WOOF!

Too bad. If you're not doing it, try giving him a children's aspirin every morning. It really improved the life of my Bullmastiff, who had hip displasia.

DO NOT use Tylenol (acetaminophen.)

Check with your vet. There's a canine version (ascriptin?) that may be better than the baby asprin.

Back