Dog Transport.

ksandrew

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ksandrew
Can anyone put me in touch with an animal transport group. Have a friend wanting to transport a very special bird dog , that is sick , to Minnesota. He is not looking for a FREE RIDE and willing to pay expenses,,we want to keep it legal. I am in South Georgia and can do the first leg.

As an owner of a very special bird dog myself, I'm curious why it has to go to Minnesota? Is their a mayo clinic for dogs I'm unaware of?

The dogs owner lives in Minnesota but also has a place in South Georgia. The dog has been residing at the vets for a number of months getting treatment for brain cancer. Was decided it was time to put him down. whole family flew South with that in mind, last moment vet decided that he was doing better and could have a few more weeks of quality life. So they are wanting to take him home and asked me about flying him. I am just too busy at work but could fly one leg.
No sure how it would work on the airlines , delta serves here, I assume he would be in a crate in the hold.

Figure out rough routing and how far you’ll fly, then look for Leg 2 pilot in that area, and then a Leg 3 guy. You can try here, or PnP (better option).

Man that's a rough one. My condolences. Losing a dog is losing family.

I wouldn't put a young healthy dog in the cargo hold on an airliner don't let them do it to this poor doggo.

Besides “feelings,” why wouldn’t you?
The airlines don't have a stellar record of bringing them to the destination alive, for starters. Especially in summer, there have even been cases where airlines (I think it was Delta) a few years ago even put a hiatus on animal transport because of heat related issues. Think about when they're unloading the cargo, on a hot ramp, etc. No grass around to relieve the dog, sometimes they do walk them but on hot pavement that's even worse when it burns their paw pads.

That's a stressful event for any dog, a dog who's already basically into a "hospice" type situation doesn't need additional heat and other stresses.

Request/post for 2 legs. Assuming Valdosta to MSP, that’d give you Nashville and Peoria as swap points. Notwithstanding weather, you could get this arranged in 1-2 days and executed in the next week or so.

The airlines don't have a stellar record of bringing them to the destination alive, for starters.
Are you going by the Karen's screeching on Facebook or do you have stats to back that up? I do... or more specifically, the FAA does. Here's the number of pets killed, lost, or injured by the airlines in 2020.

2020 Dogs.jpg
So, 6 deaths out of 311,149 pets transported is a death rate of 0.00001928 or 0.001928%.

But, you say, 2020 was Covid! Let's look at 2019 here...
2019 Dogs.jpg

That's 11 out of 404,556 which comes out to 0.00002719 (0.002719%).

I don't know what your definition of "having a stellar record" is, but I think you've set your bar a little too high.

The Facebook activists came out in 2017 because 40 out of 506,994 animals were killed, injured or lost and 31 of those were on United Airlines (18 deaths). What the Karens there didn't understand (and the media didn't report at the time) is that United was the only airline that would transport a brachycephalic (short nosed) breed. Those short nose guys are very susceptible to respiratory problems and there's no way you should be flying with one, especially as excess baggage or in a kennel underneath your seat.

Here's the 2017 data:
2017 Dogs.jpg
So, I think the airlines have a really descent track record transporting pets as excess baggage.

Especially in summer, there have even been cases where airlines (I think it was Delta) a few years ago even put a hiatus on animal transport because of heat related issues.
Isn't that what we want? Most airlines have embargos during the summer on transporting pets, either altogether, or out of certain airports (PHX, LAS, etc.)

Think about when they're unloading the cargo, on a hot ramp, etc. No grass around to relieve the dog, sometimes they do walk them but on hot pavement that's even worse when it burns their paw pads.
Source? From what I've seen the airlines take great care of the animals.

That's a stressful event for any dog, a dog who's already basically into a "hospice" type situation doesn't need additional heat and other stresses.
I agree that flying a sick dog who is that poor off should not be flown in the hold, but for a healthy animal, there is a greater danger driving to the airport than dying in the hold beneath the airplane.

I'm not looking to argue. But I'll stay home before I put my dog in cargo.

I could do the Peoria to Minnesota leg if I can fit it in the schedule. Weather is going to be tough this week.

Can we please stop using “Karen” as a pejorative term?

It’s the normally accepted name for the women that fit the description. I tell my my wife she is a Karen all the time, and no, that is not her name.

Sorry. I don't mean to fight, and I probably came across too aggressive. Obviously, everyone has their limits, and I get that.

I'm a dual EU-US citizen and am on a couple Facebook groups dealing with US Expats. One of the issues that comes up is pet transport. You'll have people who are having to move overseas and are obviously wanting to take their pets with them. Then you'll have the K*arens who tell them they are horrible people for even thinking of flying with their pets in the cargo hold of an airplane. That they are basically sending their "fur babies" to the gallows by doing this. These K*rens are the same people who would have said "just say they're an ESA" in the past, and now that the airlines have cracked down on that (and ESAs aren't a thing in Europe) are all indignant that they can't scam the system to take their Mastiff in the cabin with them. Now, the people who are trying their best to get their pets to relocate with them are think they either have to leave their beloved pet behind in the States, hire a "pet transportation company" (which may take weeks to get your pet to you... talk about stressful) or shell out thousands of dollars to charter a jet to take them and their pets to Europe. Yes, there are Facebook groups that facilitate 6-7 pet owners getting together and chartering a Global Express or Gulfstream to fly them and their pets to Europe at about $7,000-$10,000 per seat. If one could afford it, great! I'd do it too, but some of these pet owners can't and are posting how they are maxing out credit cards and taking loans out to finance this private flight across the Atlantic, and I'm trying to be the voice of reason and telling them that the data does not bear out the danger that they are perceiving. If they drive to the closest international airport with direct service to Europe, but their pet in an approved kennel and check them as oversized luggage, there is a 99.997% chance that their animal will meet them when they land, safe, sound and happy to see them. But in these days of feelings trump science, I really expect no less.

Anyhow, sorry if I came across too rude. I guess I'm just triggered by the whole thing...

Start referring to Karens' bratty ass misbehaved kids as "skin dogs" for max entertainment.

Even if they’re physically safe, it must be terrifying to the animal, especially to be separated from the owner. No hearing protection, insanely unfamiliar environment, motion without visual reference, etc. without the owner’s reassuring presence. Maybe some are more chill than others though. Mine weren’t, they were bad enough in the small plane with us.

Even if they’re physically safe, it must be terrifying to the animal, especially to be separated from the owner. No hearing protection, insanely unfamiliar environment, motion without visual reference, etc. without the owner’s reassuring presence. Maybe some are more chill than others though. Mine weren’t, they were bad enough in the small plane with us.
Of course, it depends on the dog. But then again, there are some humans who find flying terrifying enough that they have to bring turkeys or hamsters with them to get through the flight.

We should also stop using the nickname for Richard to refer to a certain male body part. When my niece was pregnant she was asking for name suggestions. Her husband is Richard and my father was Harry. So I suggested Harry Richard. She said, “I am not naming my son hairy d!ck!”

Oh, said I, I hadn’t thought of it that way.

Actually I’m not suggesting we have to stop using those terms, I’m not offended. But then my name isn’t Karen, or Richard.

I think we learned that from the Australians, and as they are a friendly bunch, we cannot offend them by stopping.

We should also stop using the nickname for Richard to refer to a certain male body part. When my niece was pregnant she was asking for name suggestions. Her husband is Richard and my father was Harry. So I suggested Harry Richard. She said, “I am not naming my son hairy d!ck!”

Oh, said I, I hadn’t thought of it that way.

Actually I’m not suggesting we have to stop using those terms, I’m not offended. But then my name isn’t Karen, or Richard.
I actually knew a guy who went by Dick that one day we found out Richard was his middle name, and his real first name was Harole. Of course we all had fun with "Hairy Dick," especially considering we were all at the bar and had a few already.

You really should read about the Streisand Effect...
Yes, I know all about that. "Karen" is a proper noun (or name if you prefer) of thousands of women, very few that exhibit the characteristics of the person that made the name into a meme that's become derogatory.

Maybe we need to not use the term "Ed" as short for education since I was so traumatized by it growing up when certain types of education were talked about. I still have PTSD from it today. Who do I get to complain to. Wait, I need to get the correct haircut. :rolleyes: If I can deal with it so can Karen(s).

Hey, what are you going to do? Karens are going to Karen, right?

Maybe we need to not use the term "Ed" as short for education since I was so traumatized by it growing up when certain types of education were talked about. I still have PTSD from it today. Who do I get to complain to. Wait, I need to get the correct haircut. :rolleyes: If I can deal with it so can Karen(s).

So is Ed going to Ed. us on E.D.?

I'm hoping not, but I'm confused.

Yes, I know all about that. "Karen" is a proper noun (or name if you prefer) of thousands of women, very few that exhibit the characteristics of the person that made the name into a meme that's become derogatory.

What I was most often made fun of relating to my name in childhood:

ted-tv-show-seth-macfarlane.jpg

Now, what I use in adulthood:
TED-logo-450x225.jpg

TED_2865026018.jpg

.... last moment vet decided that he was doing better and could have a few more weeks of quality life.

I love dogs as much / more than the next guy. But part of that is being the adult, making the hard choices. "A few more weeks" isn't worth putting the dog through the hardship of traveling that far. I'm assuming he's hanging on and frail, not currently in robust health.

Control the situation: keep him in south GA and pick a date to have him put down, or keep him there until he dies naturally in a few weeks. Flying the dog to MN seems to be more for the pet owners than what's good for the dog. The owner's need / desire for a few more weeks should not trump what is in the pet's best interest.

Back