Dog Sedation

Notatestpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Notatestpilot
My dog has an up coming procedure.
Due to his aggressive nature, my vet wants to give me the sedation and inject my dog at home before hand.
Is this really doable? My concerned is that I jabbed my dog’s behind incorrectly and end up killing him.

Shouldn't be too difficult or risky. I would raise your concern with your vet; he should be able to allay your concerns. BTW, I'm an anesthetist and have provided anesthesia for dogs before.

Depends on the dog. Mine jerks right at the worst time when trying to clip her nails. She knows when you're just about to clip. Then jerk. Then will put her head right in your line of site so you can't see. My vet had a helluva time just getting an oral spray for bordetella "in 20 years never had that much of a problem". 2 vet tech's and myself for a 36lb dog for the vet to get an oral spray.

But shots...no problemo. WTF.

Have had to give dogs subcutaneous iv's at home where it takes 10 minutes to get fluid in. No biggie.

You know your dog better than anyone. You also know your own limitations. But yes, it's doable.

Sub Q, IM or intravenous? The first two are easy, getting something in the vein is a job for the vet. I usually take a little pinch of skin for a distraction, the pop withe the syringe.

Sub Q, IM or intravenous? The first two are easy, getting something in the vein is a job for the vet. I usually take a little pinch of skin for a distraction, the pop withe the syringe.
Assuming intramuscular as he said "jab my dogs behind"

Can't imagine a vet asking an owner to do intravenous.

Due to his aggressive nature, my vet wants to give me the sedation and inject my dog at home before hand.
Is this really doable? My concerned is that I jabbed my dog’s behind incorrectly and end up killing him.
You're not going to kill your dog by sticking a needle in its butt muscle. It's a needle, not a saber.

When I was a kid we adopted a stray dog. The neighbors and us would feed him people food in addition to his dog food.
My dad gave him a shot every day to control diabetes for years.
My current dog doesn’t even flinch when the vet sticks him.

Is this the usual practice where you are?

View attachment 127872
It was in the 1960-70s here in town.

One time he stole a whole block of velvetta cheese off the neighbors grill. That neighbor would give him oreo cookies. One time while we were hanging out with that neighbor in our backyard around the pool and the dog dug up the chunk of cheese. We all laughed about it. He always ran free, free range dog I think?

Is that what your asking me?
My current dog does not have diabetes and does not get daily shots, but he does run free for 12 years now. He flys with me a lot. He don't eat much people food. That is lead I picked out of my plugs.
IMG_4110.JPG

Last edited:
If a veterinarian is asking you to inject your dog, the procedure would normally be explained in detail and probably with a demonstration.
The chances of you killing your dog is pretty close to zero but there is a much better chance that the dog will be pizzed at the pain, whip around and bite the nearest hand - yours.
Have you tried gabapentin/trazodone/acepromazine (oral)?

I rarely, if ever, recommend an at-home injection for sedation. I like to send the “chill protocol” home with the owner. Gabapentin the night before -and morning of- the procedure with acepromazine and melatonin being given about 30 minutes prior to the stimulation of the car ride/visit. I have had great success with it.

To me, asking an owner to give an injection should come with pretty good instructions. You will likely not cause harm to your dog, it’s just that all of the other things that can go wrong, may go wrong. Lots of chances for injury/misrakes.

How big is the dog?
When I was a young kid my mom gave me "allergy shots." She was a smart woman, but still it's not rocket science.

Stop stressing and agonizing over it, and just jab the pooch.

Whatever course of action you take, it's not a bad idea to do a test administration before the big day. This will afford:

1. A bit of practice for you both.
2. A chance to make sure that the drug/dose achieves the desired effect (neither an overdose nor paradoxical agitation).
3. A guaranteed chance to get the dog some emergency care in case the experiment goes badly (see number 2 above).

Any idea what the preferred formulation of your vet is?

Isn't that the opening sentence of a Stephen King novel?

I have only read one, Christine and I was so terrified, but at the same time captivated, I hoped never to read another. I paid no attention to the author's name and it was only a long time later I found out that the writer was a well known horror man.

Back