Does your ADS-B out connect to your ELT?

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
Right now my 406 ELT is not connected to my GPS. I will do that next year when I redo my panel. Since I have an old non-WAAS GPS that I plan to keep, I thought I would connect my ELT to the new WAAS ADS-B out. It has a more accurate signal and if the GPS eventually dies I'll have the ELT connected to the newer box. My plan is to get a Appareo ESG or similar product. Is this possible? Does it matter?

Without the installation manual for the Appareo and the ELT we would all be guessing. My guess is no. I doubt the Appareo will support a data signal for GPS position out to the ELT.

I sent a request for info to Appareo but I was wondering if anyone else had heard of such a thing as it would make sense for these stand alone units. The ADS-B out and 406 ELT are/will be required but a GPS is not. It would be nice if those two boxes worked together.

I wouldn't really worry about WAAS or not for the ELT, I would get it hooked up ASAP because the GPS input is one of the major benifits.

I recall someone with a G1000 182 deciding they wanted to hook the new ELT to the G1000. Garmin wanted over $500 for the cable. It's a cable that carries serial NMEA data. That's it. $500. And as I recall at the time they also had to schedule the G1000 into the avionics shop to get a software update to do it.

I don't see any indication the ESG will put out the NMEA sentences that most elts will want.

I got a reply from Stratus and the ESG does not support a GPS out signal. So without a GPS the ELT will be less accurate. Hopefully as the market develops there will be an ADS-B out box that will connect to the ELT. Maybe I can figure a way to get GPS through my Raspberry Pi into my ELT.

I got a reply from Stratus and the ESG does not support a GPS out signal. So without a GPS the ELT will be less accurate. Hopefully as the market develops there will be an ADS-B out box that will connect to the ELT. Maybe I can figure a way to get GPS through my Raspberry Pi into my ELT.
Or just get a GPS chip for the ELT. The NMEA stuff the ELT wants is pretty standard GPS chip out. A GPS USB dongle costs tiny amounts of dollars. Getting it approved is the hard part.

Back