Does this say some thing about us?

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the
Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair on January 26.

In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding
strict control or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen
monoxide." And for plenty of good reasons, since it can:

1. cause excessive sweating and vomiting
2. it is a major component in acid rain
3. it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
4. accidental inhalation can kill you
5. it contributes to erosion
6. it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
7. it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients

He asked 150 people if they supported a ban of the chemical.

One hundred forty-three said yes
Six were undecided
Only one knew that the chemical was... Scroll Down

Water!

The title of his prize winning project was,

"How Gullible Are We?"

He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to the
alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of
everything in our environment.

The conclusion is obvious.

Laughing out loud, Tom.

I had that figured out before I finished reading the sentence. It is kind of a sad state of affairs.

Heres an old one on the same subject matter;

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET:

I. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION

Manufacturer’s Name: MOTHER NATURE, Inc.
Address: Everywhere, The World
Business Tele. #: Not available
Emergency Tele. #: Not available
Trade name:Water, Aqua pura
Synonyms: Dihydrogen Monoxide; H20

II. HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS

NONE when compound is in the pure state.

III. PHYSICAL DATA

Boiling point (760 mm Hg): 100oC (212oF)
Melting point: 0oC (32oF)
Specific gravity (H2O = 1):1
Vapor pressure - 100oC (212oF) 760 mm Hg
- 0oC (32oF) 17.5 mm Hg
Solubility in water (% by wt.): 100%
% Volatiles by volume: 100%
Evap. rate (Butyl acetate = 1): Not available
Appearance and Odor:Clear liquid; No odor

IV. FIRE & EXPLOSION DATA

Flash Point: Not applicable
Autoignition Temperature: Not applicable
Flammable limits in air (% by Vol.): Not applicable
Extinguishing Media: Not applicable
Special firefighting procedures: Not applicable
Unusual Fire and Explosion Hazard: Rapid temperature rise of liquid can result in explosive vaporization, particularly if in a sealed container.

V. HEALTH HAZARD INFORMATION

Routes of Exposure and Effects of Overexposure

Inhalation
Acute over exposure: Inhalation can result in asphyxiation and is often fatal.
Chronic overexposure: Chronic inhalation overexposure not encountered.

Skin Contact
Acute overexposure: Prolonged but constant contact with liquid may cause a mild dermatitis.
Chronic overexposure: Mild to severe dermatitis.

Skin Absorption
Acute overexposure: No effects noted.
Chronic overexposure: No effects noted.

Eye Contact
Acute overexposure: No effects noted.

Ingestion
Acute overexposure: Excessive ingestion of liquid form can cause gastric distress and mild diarrhea.

Emergency and First Aid Procedures
Eyes: None
Skin: None
Inhalation: Remove to fresh air; Provide artificial respiration; Provide oxygen.
Ingestion: None

Notes to Physician: None

VI. REACTIVITY DATA

Conditions contributing to instability: Exposure to direct current electricity.

Incompatibility: Strong acids and bases can cause rapid heating. Reaction with sodium metal can result in explosion.

Hazardous decomposition products: Hydrogen - Explosive gas Oxygen - Supports rapid combustion

Conditions contributing to hazardous polymerization: None

VII. SPILL or LEAK PROCEDURES

Steps to be taken if material is released or spilled:
Small quantities can be mopped or wiped up with rags.
Large quantities should be directed to collecting basin or drain with dikes or swabs.

Neutralizing chemicals
None required.

Waste disposal method:
Process contaminated material through treatment plant prior to discharge into environment. Discharge permit may be required.

VIII. SPECIAL PROTECTION INFORMATION

Ventilation requirements:
Remove hot vapor from environment using local exhaust systems.

Specific personal protective equipment:
Respiratory: None required.
Eyes: Goggles or full face splash shield when dealing with hot liquid.
Hands: Use insulating gloves when extensive exposure to solid state or high temperature liquid state is contemplated.
Other clothing and equipment: Use heat protective garment when exposed to large quantities of heated vapor.

IX. SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS

Precautionary statements:
Compound readily exists in all three phases at atmospheric pressure. Phase changes occur over a narrow (100oC/212oF) temperature range.
Compound is known as "the universal solvent" and does dissolve, at least to some extent, most common materials.
Compound will conduct electricity when dissolved ionic solutes are present.

Other handling and storage requirements:
A high pressure containment vessel should be used for the vapor at high temperatures.
Do not allow filled, closed containers to solidify as compound expands upon freezing.

A radio DJ here. Got in big trouble for making up a story about a spill at the schools. It was April 1st! There were parents calling the mayor and the school districts phones where ringing of the hook.

The station gave him a couple of days off.......

:cheerswine:

BTW just so you know there is also no such thing as di-hydrogen monoxide.

Water, H2O, exists as two ions. H+ and OH-

So the proper name would be Hydrogen oxide if trying to use fancy chemical term.

You may have heard of Hydrogen peroxide.

The is H2O2 or 2H+ + 2OH-

So those people that think they are clever by saying 'dihydrogen monoxide' just seem silly to those of who actually are clever. ;)

di-hydrogen would be represented by 2H or in it's ionic form as 2H+

That would mean that to balance the equation you need the 2OH ions and that gives you, as noted above, Hydrogen peroxide. Drinking that stuff will really give you some problems as it is a bleach.

Last edited:
Scott's just trying to negate junk science with facts.

Welcome to the dark side Scott.:D:yes:

Water, H2O, exists as two ions. H+ and OH-

So the proper name would be Hydrogen oxide if trying to use fancy chemical term.

You may have heard of Hydrogen peroxide.

The is H2O2 or 2H+ + 2OH-

I hate to be the one to break it to you but 1) water is covalent, not ionic, so it is not made of ions, and 2) 2H+ + 2OH- is actually 2H2O and 3)hydrogen peroxide is also covalent.

In pure water, the concentration of H+ is 10^-7 and the concentration of OH- is 10^-7 (both are in moles per liter) this is where water gets is pH of 7.

Trust me, I just finished AP chem as one of the best in the class. I would know.

so really, dihydrogen monoxide is the proper name for water. (that is how all covalent molecules are named)

I hate to be the one to break it to you but 1) water is covalent, not ionic, so it is not made of ions, and 2) 2H+ + 2OH- is actually 2H2O and 3)hydrogen peroxide is also covalent.

In pure water, the concentration of H+ is 10^-7 and the concentration of OH- is 10^-7 (both are in moles per liter) this is where water gets is pH of 7.

Trust me, I just finished AP chem as one of the best in the class. I would know.

so really, dihydrogen monoxide is the proper name for water. (that is how all covalent molecules are named)
Then how come after declaring water to be covalent you then show it in it's ionic form?

Wouldn't it be hydrogen hydroxide?

LiOH - Lithium Hydroxide
NaOH - Sodium Hydroxide
KOH - Potassium Hydroxide

And wouldn't ya know it they are all in the same column of the periodic table.

Then how come after declaring water to be covalent you then show it in it's ionic form?

He didn't. He noted the concentration of the ions which exist in the pure liquid which is composed of the covalent molecule dihydrogen monoxide (probably should add something about STP here but I'm lazy).

If you'd like to get just a bit more complicated we could go through the naming conventions for organic molecules.:D

He didn't. He noted the concentration of the ions which exist in the pure liquid which is composed of the covalent molecule dihydrogen monoxide (probably should add something about STP here but I'm lazy).

If you'd like to get just a bit more complicated we could go through the naming conventions for organic molecules.:D
Yews but water is also a polar form and that would indicate that the electrons are not being evenly shared in a true covalent bond. Polarization is a characteristic that is more like an ionic bond and water can be modeled as such. So even though there is not a true ionic bond, due to the materials both being non-metals, the polar bond can be modeled as such.

In any event the term 'monoxide' is nonsensical. Oxide is a singular term and the addition of the prefix mon, short for mono, is redundant. Also di-Hydrogen is also not very clear. Is it two hydrogen atoms or two Hydrogen molecules?

Not really, Scott. Water is a good example of a polar covalent bond. The fact that the oxygen has a higer affinity for the shared electrons forms a dipole, but does not mean it is an ionic bond. Put water in a polar solvent - there is not a transfer of electrons and formation of ions on any real scale, there remains mostly H2O with a miniscule concentration of ions. Ionic compounds would have near complete dissolution.

Tim

For a reference, I dug out my Organic Chem (Ege), and on page 4, water is specifically mentioned in the intro to structure and bonding section under polar covalent bonds: "Water, ethanol, and glucose are examples of polar covalent compounds". I don't have a Gen Chem book here, or I'd offer something more complete.

Yews but water is also a polar form and that would indicate that the electrons are not being evenly shared in a true covalent bond. Polarization is a characteristic that is more like an ionic bond and water can be modeled as such. So even though there is not a true ionic bond, due to the materials both being non-metals, the polar bond can be modeled as such.

Last edited:

In any event the term 'monoxide' is nonsensical. Oxide is a singular term and the addition of the prefix mon, short for mono, is redundant. Also di-Hydrogen is also not very clear. Is it two hydrogen atoms or two Hydrogen molecules?

Carbon oxide
Carbon monoxide

Never heard it called by the first one.

Wouldn't it be hydrogen hydroxide?

LiOH - Lithium Hydroxide
NaOH - Sodium Hydroxide
KOH - Potassium Hydroxide

And wouldn't ya know it they are all in the same column of the periodic table.

Bingo...the ionic name of water is hydrogen hydroxide.

Now, think of this...what reaction will occur when you take a strong base (like Sodium Hydroxide NaOH) and combine it with a strong acid (like hydrochloric acid HCl):

NaOH + HCl -> HOH + NaCl (Salt Water)

Yews but water is also a polar form and that would indicate that the electrons are not being evenly shared in a true covalent bond. Polarization is a characteristic that is more like an ionic bond and water can be modeled as such. So even though there is not a true ionic bond,

sniperooney

All right, all right, that does it. Review the attached material. There will be a short quiz tomorrow! Ya'll will be responsible for the previously assigned reading material also.:D

Attachments

• Intro to Petroleum Chemistry.pps
    680 KB · Views: 8
Now, think of this...what reaction will occur when you take a strong base (like Sodium Hydroxide NaOH) and combine it with a strong acid (like hydrochloric acid HCl):

NaOH + HCl -> HOH + NaCl (Salt Water)

As written, nothing is going to happen. Fuming HCl over NaOH in a dry environment will yield no rxn. You need water in some form for dissociation, without the ionic bodies no rxn will take place. That being said, under normal conditions and NaOH being hygroscopic, yes you'll get a rxn.

What was your point?

Sorry, I got picky because everyone else got picky in this thread. :blush:

Tim

Quiz away, I'll wreck the curve!

I think we may be in similar industries.

All right, all right, that does it. Review the attached material. There will be a short quiz tomorrow! Ya'll will be responsible for the previously assigned reading material also.:D

Quiz away, I'll wreck the curve!

That wasn't a challenge now was it?

I think we may be in similar industries.

Maybe....I'm way upstream, basically at the bit pretty much anymore. Every once in a great while I get to work on something old and not so "challenging."

As written, nothing is going to happen. Fuming HCl over NaOH in a dry environment will yield no rxn. You need water in some form for dissociation, without the ionic bodies no rxn will take place. That being said, under normal conditions and NaOH being hygroscopic, yes you'll get a rxn.

What was your point?

Sorry, I got picky because everyone else got picky in this thread. :blush:

Tim
naw we're getting silly not picky:D

IUPC!!! I call IUPC on you!!! :D:D:D:D

Ok, WTF is IUPC?

On another tack entirely, I'm very concerned for the 4 people that actually viewed the pps. You poor b*st*ards! I built that in my first year of lecturing undergrads...If you need help recovering, about all I can offer is that my students seemed to drink heavily but I would not pretend to limit your choice of medication.:D

Ok, WTF is IUPC?

On another tack entirely, I'm very concerned for the 4 people that actually viewed the pps. You poor b*st*ards! I built that in my first year of lecturing undergrads...If you need help recovering, about all I can offer is that my students seemed to drink heavily but I would not pretend to limit your choice of medication.:D

No big yank, I aced Chemistry in both HS and College.

uhhh... Shenanigans?
Naw, the IUPC made ruling about naming of chemical compounds that basically said there is no naming convention that MUST be followed. The IUPC offers recommended naming conventions, but it falls short of an industry or regulatory mandate. What is important is the the way that the chemical compound configuration is written in their view.

It is one of those standard's discussion where there was no consensus so the group concluded that it should just disregard naming conventions in favor of another way to identify chemical compounds.

Last edited:
It is one of those standard's discussion where there was no consensus so the group concluded that it should just disregard naming conventions in favor of another way to identify chemical compounds.

So...name it whatever you want, as long as you describe it properly we're cool?

Clearly I didn't miss anything interesting by avoiding science in college.

I took HS chemistry, aced it, and pretty much don't remember thing one about it today.

Ha! I have to say about the only thing I recall from HS Chem is
- "Always Add Acid"
- rubber tubing makes great squirt guns when hooked to the lab sink faucets
- one could blow hard enough into the burner hose to back-feed the gas system and blow out the lab burners with an attention getting POP!

oh, yeah, and Pam Fellows was HOT! :)

- "Always Add Acid"
- rubber tubing makes great squirt guns when hooked to the lab sink faucets
- one could blow hard enough into the burner hose to back-feed the gas system and blow out the lab burners with an attention getting POP!

- The most fun one can have in chem lab is during cleanup at the end. Take the materials that they say DO NOT MIX and pour them all down the drain at the same time right before you run out of the lab. (I only saw the hazmat team there once. :D)

In any event the term 'monoxide' is nonsensical. Oxide is a singular term and the addition of the prefix mon, short for mono, is redundant.

Carbon oxide
Carbon monoxide

Never heard it called by the first one.

My daughter Jessica, graduating high school next week, AP Chemistry, going to college for Chemistry major to teach secondary school Math & Science, really enjoyed this thread. She commented on the above in a similar fashion as EdFred:

"The mon- prefix is only non-sensical or redundant when used with the first term. i.e., we don't say monocarbon monoxide. But when used with the second term, it is proper and normal... we say carbon monoxide, not carbon oxide."

According to wikipedia:
Dihydrogen monoxide, shortened to DHMO, is a name for water that is consistent with chemical nomenclature, but that is almost never used.
Wikipedia is never wrong.

Check out the big brain on Brad.

Why so much effort talking about something that we try to keep out of our airplanes? Put your collective minds together for something useful, like, oh, I dunno, a suitable replacement for 100LL!

Freakin' geeks: can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.

Now where's my Archie comic book, I hear there's a proposal in this one . . .

:D

Back