Does the IFR Rating Make Us Safer Pilots?

Or fly straight and level, or hold an attitude, or remember how to fly a traffic pattern, or .......................
Ain't that the truth. Sad thing is a lot of GA pilots are content with sloppy flying. I base my flight reviews on the pilot's certificate. If you are a commercial student you get +/- 50ft. Private you get +/- 100. It's not a checkride but I expect you to perform like what your certificate says.

I would agree that it definitely does not make you safer. It does, however, give you more opportunity to kill yourself.

Does it give you more skills, yes. But I think safety is an attitude, and is mostly learned and ingrained in a person before they ever take their first flight.

Ain't that the truth. Sad thing is a lot of GA pilots are content with sloppy flying. I base my flight reviews on the pilot's certificate. If you are a commercial student you get +/- 50ft. Private you get +/- 100. It's not a checkride but I expect you to perform like what your certificate says.

I was slightly sloppy with patterns and visual approaches on my last BFR because I had literally spent the prior 40-50 hours doing hood work and straight in instrument approaches. It was a bit of an eye opener. I wasn't unsafe, but I could have done better... definitely made me see the importance of flying a pattern here and there.

I believe I am much safer as a VFR pilot than I would be w/ IR.

There are far less risks I am willing to expose myself to right now.
And I am fine with that.

I can see how I might end up like R&W's friend if I had that rating.

Now a tail wheel rating....
Those 170s and 180s are starting to grow on me. :yes:

I don't let myself believe any rating is the cause of my safety. The decisions made for *this flight* affect that more.

The rating may give me some more to think about and options but it's not the basis of safety.

Most of my flying is done with as few turns as possible, and mostly on autopilot. I do this because when I'm flying for travel, with my wife, I'm flying as if I'm an airline. I believe these well planned, carefully executed flights make me a safer pilot.

However, once a month, I go up and fly everything in the PPL PTS. If I do not fly a maneuver to PTS standards, I do it again, and again, until I get it right. I always the flight end after dark, so that I get to do night landings as well.

I am working on my IFR. Once earned, I will be adding practice approaches, holds, etc, to my monthly practice. (With a safety pilot, of course.)

Any rating, be it VFR or IFR, is only as good as it is maintained. Safety starts in the mind. It is an attitude, an approach, a way of doing things. It is knowing your limits, and pushing them on occasion, in a safe fashion, in order to be prepared for those times when you cannot escape risk, and must deal with it.

Back