Does the GMU11 meet the requirement for a magnetic compass

TimRF79

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I know you need to have a magnetic compass in your plane, does the GMU11 (with a G5) meet that requirement or is it mandatory to have a compass card/ whiskey compass (as well)

I know you need to have a magnetic compass in your plane, does the GMU11 (with a G5) meet that requirement or is it mandatory to have a compass card/ whiskey compass (as well)

If you're flying a certified aircraft, it says right in the STC installation manual that the whiskey compass must be retained.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Since I have a certified plane, I did not install the GMU11 myself and hence did not read the installation manual.

Even if it's really an anachonism, I like whiskey compasses. I have one on my desk, taken from a crashed plane, on a little stand.

you wouldn't want to toss your whiskey compass just because you have a GMU. The G5s have a backup battery, but unfortunately the GMU11 doesn't, so in the event of an electrical failure it will be inop. You would still have ground track though from the G5s internal GPS. With the GMU11 installed it is nice though in normal operations never having to look at the old compass dance around anymore.

Back