Does oil damage tires?

O

Oopsy

Read some information online about motor oil being harmful to tires. I was in the midst of an oil change on the airplane this evening and after unscrewing the filter, I placed it momentarily on the ground near the front of the airplane. A couple seconds after and it tipped over and ran onto the floor and pooled up around my nose gear tire. I tried wiping it up as best I could, but there was definitely some oily residue left on the tire. Lesson learned, but is this really that harmful?

It's not good for them but it's not going to melt it either. Clean it up with soap and water, should be fine.

Next taxi do a few hard S turns. Should get most of residual oil off and restore traction. Clean it with a mild degreaser, Simple Green works good. Then, forget about-it! (Try not to do it again)

https://www.goodyearaviation.com/resources/pdf/aviation-tire-care-2020.pdf
Excerpt
Tires should be kept clean and free of contaminants such as oil, hydraulic fluids, grease, tar, and degreasing agents which have a deteriorating effect on rubber. Contaminants should be wiped off with denatured alcohol, then the tire should be washed immediately with soap and water and inspected for surface damage such as blistering or softening.

https://www.goodyearaviation.com/resources/pdf/aviation-tire-care-2020.pdf
Excerpt
Tires should be kept clean and free of contaminants such as oil, hydraulic fluids, grease, tar, and degreasing agents which have a deteriorating effect on rubber. Contaminants should be wiped off with denatured alcohol, then the tire should be washed immediately with soap and water and inspected for surface damage such as blistering or softening.
Little simple green never hurt nothing. I would have cussed, wiped the mess up with a rag, then forgot-about-it! But hey, buy a new one if it blows your hair back. Tires are dirt cheap!

My Bushwheels are expensive ($1930 or $2340 each depending on which plane) so I try to take care of them. When I get drips or spills I wash with Dawn and water. Works great.

Last edited:
Not sure why you're replying to me. I'm not arguing with you, and I'm certainly not advocating buying new tires. I'm just quoting the manufacturer's advice in case that's helpful to the OP.
Easy Chief. No argument here. We both agree clean them, avoid repeat. Some folks get real nervous about little things. If you ask a tire guy if you need a tire, we’ll…. If the oiled one came off a C 182 I’ll recycle it happily! We’re good NoHeat. No worries.

Now all you fellas that got even a little bit of earl on your tires and you use what happens, by chance, to be a C182, you are in GRAvE danger!!! Get them off, ship them to me where I shall mount them on Skyler, my 182. We will test them constantly for a couple of years and let you know how lucky you were that you didn’t fly them for the two years I’s was evaluating. I know you feel you will owe me a very large gratuity and I agree with you. I will ship the tires, what’s left anyway back to you, you pay shipping and handling. My brave k9 copilot Sig promises to condition the rubber before and after every flight. You will get a tire back you can be sure poses no hazard to flight, as long as kept on good round.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back