Does new rating automatically refresh IR currency?

stratobee

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
stratobee
So, let's say I do a checkride for COMM MULTI, but I'm not instrument current. Does the check ride renew currency like it does for a BFR?

It satisfies the requirement of a Flight Review. IPC maybe, if the examiner also signs you off assuming you've met the requirements for an IPC. AC 61-98 is the reference.

Last edited:
No it doesnt refresh IFR currency. Would need the instructor for your multi to sign you off for an IPC.

It satisfies the requirement of a Flight Review, if the examiner endorses your logbook with the FR endorsement. IPC maybe, if the examiner also signs you off assuming you've met the requirements for an IPC. AC 61-98 is the reference for both,
Where does it say that the examiner must endorse an FR if he's awarded a new rating? My reading of the regs says that is equivalent to an FR without any need for any endorsement.

Where does it say that the examiner must endorse an FR if he's awarded a new rating? My reading of the regs says that is equivalent to an FR without any need for any endorsement.

You're right, my mistake. You are correct, it's equivalent to a FR. Corrected it.

It's possible, though unlikely, to take an instrument checkride and not be IFR current afterward. You have to have three hours of instrument training in the previous two months, but that doesn't necessarily have to include six approaches, holding and interception.

It's not likely, but instrument currency and checkride requirements are independent.

Flight reviews are entirely different. There are several explicit exceptions, including completion of a new rating.

Instrument check ride sets the IR currency date. Commercial ride is not an IR checkride.

Instrument check ride sets the IR currency date. Commercial ride is not an IR checkride.

I meant IF the examiner agrees to do an IPC in conjunction with the check ride. Entirely up to the examiner though.

I meant IF the examiner agrees to do an IPC in conjunction with the check ride. Entirely up to the examiner though.

Has anyone actually had the examiner sign off an IPC on a checkride? I don't think the requirements for any exam except instrument and ATP meet the requirements for an IPC, so you'd have to add some things to the exam.

I doubt any examiner will sign you off for an IPC on the CMEL ride. Any new rating resets the clock for a flight review.

But what about doing a Mel and also instrument multi? Wouldn't that reset currency?
When I did my multi add on we did a hold, intercepting and 5 approaches. So when I did the approach on the checkride, there was the clock reset.

I did my ATP and asked the DPE if he'd sign me off for a CFI renewal too. He did, ATP & CFI Renewal signed off. That was in '87, probably wouldn't happen today. Don't remember if he charged for that too, probably. :D

Last edited:
It's possible, though unlikely, to take an instrument checkride and not be IFR current afterward. You have to have three hours of instrument training in the previous two months, but that doesn't necessarily have to include six approaches, holding and interception.

It's not likely, but instrument currency and checkride requirements are independent.

Flight reviews are entirely different. There are several explicit exceptions, including completion of a new rating.

Interesting. Never thought about that, but I can see how that scenario could happen! Recency is separate from the checkride... and it's possible you wouldn't have satisfied 61.57(c) even after successful completion of an Instrument checkride. Gotta check, before you get that ticket wet!

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFar.nsf/FARSBySectLookup/61.57

Interesting. Never thought about that, but I can see how that scenario could happen! Recency is separate from the checkride... and it's possible you wouldn't have satisfied 61.57(c) even after successful completion of an Instrument checkride. Gotta check, before you get that ticket wet!

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFar.nsf/FARSBySectLookup/61.57

Checkride provides the same currency as an IPC.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/pol_adjudication/agc200/interpretations/data/interps/2008/wynne - (2008) legal interpretation.pdf

Relevant quote:
The six calendar month period described in paragraph (c) begins when a pilot successfully completes his or her practical test.

So, no. You don't have to check anything if you got your instrument rating in the past 6 calendar months.

Last edited:

Agree. I believe you'd be golden for the next 6 months, then the following 6 months (over a years time) you'd have to log the appropriate instrument currency requirements to remain current. A little rusty on this as I haven't used my CFII in a long time. Thoughts?

Here's how it works to the best of my knowledge.

Jan 1, 2016 you get your IR ticket.
You are current until July 31, 2016.
Between February 1, 2016 and January 31, 2017 you can do 6+HIT under the hood with a safety pilot to reestablish/extend currency. (doing 6 approaches during Jan 2016 wont extend currency because it's based on calendar months)
After January 31, 2017 the only way to re-establish currency is with an IPC.

Did some more research. According to the FAA's own magazine, FAA Safety, legal interpretation is that a successful completion of an IPC or Instrument Checkride resets the 6-month clock.

https://www.faa.gov/news/safety_briefing/2015/media/SepOct2015.pdf

See page 12, article is on pages 10-12:

upload_2016-3-11_9-1-59.png

Did some more research. According to the FAA's own magazine, FAA Safety, legal interpretation is that a successful completion of an IPC or Instrument Checkride resets the 6-month clock.

https://www.faa.gov/news/safety_briefing/2015/media/SepOct2015.pdf

See page 12, article is on pages 10-12:

View attachment 44512

EDIT: I see others posted similar; EdFred's link is the best one, with the actual legal interpretation.

The FAA should add "successful completion of an IPC in the same category and class" to the 61.57(e) exclusion list.

The FAA should add "successful completion of an IPC in the same category and class" to the 61.57(e) exclusion list.

No need. 61.57(d) exists.

And class doesn't matter for instrument currency. If you're instrument current in a twin, you're instrument current in a single. And vice versa.

Though I'm sure someone would argue that an IPC is only applicable if you've been out of currency, and can't be used to extend it. At which point they just need to be punched in the throat.

Here's how it works to the best of my knowledge.

Jan 1, 2016 you get your IR ticket.
You are current until July 31, 2016.
Between February 1, 2016 and January 31, 2017 you can do 6+HIT under the hood with a safety pilot to reestablish/extend currency. (doing 6 approaches during Jan 2016 wont extend currency because it's based on calendar months)
After January 31, 2017 the only way to re-establish currency is with an IPC.

If one flew the requirements w/ a safety pilot, say between Sep '16 and Dec '16, you'd be current as you say. But wouldn't you have 6 months from Feb1 '17 to again log the requirements vs having to do an IPC? I'm so rusty on this it hurts! Don't punch me now!

If one flew the requirements w/ a safety pilot, say between Sep '16 and Dec '16, you'd be current as you say. But wouldn't you have 6 months from Feb1 '17 to again log the requirements vs having to do an IPC? I'm so rusty on this it hurts! Don't punch me now!

Take the last day you are instrument current (which is always the last day of the month) - add six months. After that date you need an IPC to re-establish. Before that date you can keep current by satisfying the 6+HIT with a safety pilot.

Whenever you extend/re-establish currency it resets the time frame. So going back to my original example....

Jan 1 2016 I get my IR.
I never flew any approaches by July 31, so my currency expires.
In October 2016 I find a safety pilot and fly 6+HIT.
My clock resets. I am now current until April 30th, 2017.
I again don't fly any approaches in that time frame.
By October 31, 2017 I can fly 6+HIT with a safety pilot to reset currency.
After October 31, 2017 I then need an IPC to become current.

Clear as mud?

Last edited:
Yeah I think I'm saying the same thing. :)

Basically as long as you log the requirements in actual and/or with a safety pilot every 6 months you're good. If during a 6 month period you don't then after that 6 month period an IPC is required. So if you always fly with a safety pilot, or fly a lot of IFR in IMC and meet the requirements for every 6 month period you don't need a IPC ever. Whatya think?

Sounds right to me. If ever not current for more than 6 months, you need an IPC.

Whew, I'm rusty (and I do need an IPC unfortunately) but that's what I thought. My head hurts. :D

Back