Does my radio really sound that bad?

Wrench978

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Wrench978
I recently went on my first short cross country trip (7B3 to KCON and back) and because Im a dork, I looked up my radio work on LiveATC to see how I did with flight Following. Imagine my disappointment when I found myself, only to hear a garbled mess! the audio quality was awful. It sounded like I had the mic in my mouth (which isn't far from the truth) but Ive never had anyone complain about my radio calls. is it possible that the poor audio is a result of whatever receiver liveATC uses? I can't seem ti find the clip now, but if I do, Ill post it.

I suppose I should just ask another pilot at the field, but I felt pretty bad for the controller if he was hearing what I heard...

Can't be half as bad as the sound quality coming out of Palo Alto Tower yesterday. It sounded like a wine & cheese with 200 guests in a concrete box. WAY too much background conversation going on...

LiveATC receivers are sometimes very bad. Ask a human. Or a tower controller. :D

Can't be half as bad as the sound quality coming out of Palo Alto Tower yesterday. It sounded like a wine & cheese with 200 guests in a concrete box. WAY too much background conversation going on...

LiveATC receivers are sometimes very bad. Ask a human. Or a tower controller. :D

I see it too!

Well I imagine they had college football games and the results from Sat to discuss! SO yeah, sometimes controllers are human, usually not though. Especially that Timbeck fella....

Sometimes it is the other way around too. When I contact Augusta Approach for flight following, they always sound nice and clear. When they pass me off to Columbia Approach, sometimes they sound like they are in a barrel. It is a very noticable difference. I have not noticed that when I get passed to Atlanta or Jacksonville.

That

Depends on where ATCs transmitter is, where you are, and where the liveATC feeder receiver is.

If you sounded REALLY bad I'm sure ATC would have said something.

Ping me next time your at 7B3. That's my homebase. Can help out with a radio check.
Or you can ask anyone else in the pattern.

Ping me next time your at 7B3. That's my homebase. Can help out with a radio check.

Or just ask "traffic" if at a nontowered airport. I've heard that many times, and I try to respond when it makes operational sense. Don't talk directly to anyone but Tower on Tower frequency.

Ask ATC to give you a radio check next time, I do it all the time if there isn't anyone around my non-towered airport to shout at before taking off.

If it was as bad as you say, I'm sure ATC would have notfied you atleast once of an unreadable transmission.

Now that's funny!

It was 78R, the rental. I'm sure I'm overthinking it. It just surprised and disappointed me when I heard it. I was hoping to hear my confident voice using proper phraseology. Lol

I found myself on LiveATC once.

I sounded, crisp, clear, and professional.

I also didn't realize I speak that rapidly. Ho-lee cow.

It was 78R, the rental. I'm sure I'm overthinking it. It just surprised and disappointed me when I heard it. I was hoping to hear my confident voice using proper phraseology. Lol

78R? Is the the "new" 172M?

I found myself on LiveATC once.

I sounded, crisp, clear, and professional.

I also didn't realize I speak that rapidly. Ho-lee cow.

I occasionally sit on the other side of the radio, for CAP missions. It gives one a hell of a lot of respect for what controllers put up with.

I tended to blast out stuff before I sat behind the radio, too. I think everyone does.

I occasionally sit on the other side of the radio, for CAP missions. It gives one a hell of a lot of respect for what controllers put up with.

I tended to blast out stuff before I sat behind the radio, too. I think everyone does.
I thought I was saving bandwidth. I am, but at the risk of sounding like I just smoked meth prior to takeoff.

I recently went on my first short cross country trip (7B3 to KCON and back) and because Im a dork, I looked up my radio work on LiveATC to see how I did with flight Following. Imagine my disappointment when I found myself, only to hear a garbled mess! the audio quality was awful. It sounded like I had the mic in my mouth (which isn't far from the truth) but Ive never had anyone complain about my radio calls. is it possible that the poor audio is a result of whatever receiver liveATC uses? I can't seem ti find the clip now, but if I do, Ill post it.

I suppose I should just ask another pilot at the field, but I felt pretty bad for the controller if he was hearing what I heard...
I believe chuck Yeager had something to say about pilots and their "radio voice"

Just to follow up, it must have been an issue with the LiveATC receiver. I asked around and I transmit loud and clear.

LiveATC always sounds like crap when I listen to the archives

Last edited:
My favorite is listening to the TOA archives.

They're all just a high pitched squeal. Whoever is recording and uploading isn't actually recording anything. LoL

*last I checked was about a month ago

I had a KILM approach controller compain of my radio quality a few weeks back, so the CFII I was flying with tried the radio and they said he sounded fine. Suspecting a problem with my headset, he made the radio calls until we were back at the ramp. But once parked, I called ground for a radio check and they said I was loud and clear. :confused2:

Haven't been able to fly since then to see if it happens again. Hope not though! I'll keep an extra headset nearby until I'm satisfied it was just a fluke.

Back