Does ground/clearance delivery know the phrase "learner pilot"?

I thought the whole point of "learner pilot" was to make a distinction between "student pilots," i.e., pilots who do not have any certificate other than a student pilot certificate, and other pilots who might be taking lessons for, e.g., an additional rating or certificate.
Probably but who actually cares? I swear this entire conversation is like a press to test for stupidity.

I’m an ATP with a handful of types. What has been consistent in my career is the more I know the more I recognize how little I know.

we will always be student pilots. Earning that certification only buys us the opportunity to **** up without supervision.

edit: the stupidity comment was not directed towards you @Lindberg just a general observation.

I've been a student pilot it feels like forever. I've never used student pilot when talking to ATC, but have no problem if others want to use it. I don't always catch it the first time and I've noticed if I ask them "say again, please" they might sound a little ****ed, but they speak slower and more distinctly. But for the most part I'm fine and try to rattle off my response as fast as I heard them talk. When I first started this round of lessons, my instructor always beat me to the punch, but I asked him to give me a chance, as I'd have to learn to talk to ATC sometime. I'm now up to my current instructor's speed.

On a side note, sometimes ATC won't say hold short at the departure runway, and I'll repeat it back w/o saying hold short, so he'll have to repeat it saying to hold short.

On a humorous note, during one lesson of touch and goes, I kept saying "Cleared for the auction". Guess it was my ranch upbringing shining through.

As an instructor, I teach and insist that my students use the phrase "student pilot" in every first call on frequency. If one is using the full call sign, then "student pilot" is part of that ID. No exceptions. It tells ATC that this person may need special handling, etc. It has the same effect as when coming into a new (to the pilot) field to say, "unfamiliar". That too lets ATC know that they need special handling. ("No, I don't know the local jargon/slang for the common VFR report points... they aren't on the chart.") There is nothing shameful about using these to let ATC know what's what. What IS shameful is busting a FAR or bending some metal because one didn't fully communicate.

That too lets ATC know that they need special handling. ("No, I don't know the local jargon/slang for the common VFR report points... they aren't on the chart.") There is nothing shameful about using these to let ATC know what's what.
I would prefer something that can extend beyond the Private Pilot checkride, like “sorry, I’m unfamiliar.”

Teaching them how to communicate only as a student pilot seems counterproductive to me.

I would prefer something that can extend beyond the Private Pilot checkride, like “sorry, I’m unfamiliar.”

Teaching them how to communicate only as a student pilot seems counterproductive to me.

Excellent point. I always tried to give examples to students of "Unfamiliar," "unable," "request progressive," and a few others, like "request short pattern/immediate."

In addition, I always emphasized that they should ask for as many available services from ATC/FSS, since they are paying for it.

Back