Does Garmin Pilot have TEC Routes?

Andrew

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
Trying out the app.

Can't find a reference in the app or User's Guide.

thanks

Ok, great.

So, how do you find them in Garmin Pilot? Does it use some other term for them?

The manual has no results for a search of "TEC" other than combined into other words, and no hits for "tower enroute control" .

Ok, great.

So, how do you find them in Garmin Pilot? Does it use some other term for them?

The manual has no results for a search of "TEC" other than combined into other words, and no hits for "tower enroute control" .

my bad, I read too quickly and thought you asked about T-routes

At least in Android, no. If you're connected to the internet it will show the TEC route under ATC proposed, but won't show the details of the routing, so you can't copy and paste it. You can call up the TEC routes in the Chart Supplement, but it also won't let you copy and paste from their either, which is pretty annoying. If anyone at Garmin is listening, at least let us copy and paste text from the Chart Supplement if you aren't going to include the routes in the database...

If it's part if the planning process, another option is to pull up the TEC route on the LA Center website and paste it from there.

AFAIK, so far, only Foreflight supports the entry of TEC routes by ID.
upload_2022-12-28_7-13-0.png

I just tried trying in the same route mentioned above into Garmin Pilot and it doesn’t recognize SBAP5.

Works in FltPlanGo also but not skyvector.com or AOPA's flight planner.

Garmin pilot does not have TEC routes and does not even know what they are. I asked them a few years ago if they were going to add this and they said they were working on it. Foreflight has had it for years.

Not a big surprise. It's not really the app. For planning, FltPlanGo sends you to the website which was around long before any EFB.

if you actually try it in the app itself, you get

View attachment 113488
That looks like it's trying to find a Fix named SBAP5. There isn't one. It's a Route Element. Try KSBA SBAP5 KFUL. Or to KLGB, KSLI, or KTOA. Those are the airports it goes to.

That looks like it's trying to find a Fix named SBAP5. There isn't one. It's a Route Element. Try KSBA SBAP5 KFUL. Or to KLGB, KSLI, or KTOA. Those are the airports it goes to.
Have you tried? I did. But I wanted to show the popup in the picture so I went back.

In the meantime, I have the answer to what it does when you create the plan on the website and import it. It expands the TEC into its components and imports those into the app. Just like when you use Foreflight or Pilot to transfer airway routing to a GNS.

Last edited:
Have you tried? I did. But I wanted to show the popup in the picture so I went back.

In the meantime, I have the answer to what it does when you create the plan on the website and import it. It expands the TEC into its components and imports those into the app. Just like when you use Foreflight or Pilot to transfer airway routing to a GNS.
No. The only thing I have is Foreflight. I can’t experiment in the others. I suppose maybe I could go to website, it’s the Apps I only have Foreflight of. But I doubt if I’d get a different result than anyone else.

It took quite a bit of effort with ForeFlight to support TEC routes in Southern California. There were several issues with depiction of routes including radial routes, radials to intercept airways using non ICAO syntax, radials to intercept a localizer, and the fact that the ATC computer would only recognize the routes as exactly defined in the Chart Supplement or using the TEC route name. If the route is not recognized, it is assigned anyway using the TEC route name, so pilots could only get cleared as filed when the name of the route was filed. ForeFlight had to determine equivalent routes that complied with ICAO syntax and file using the TEC route name. If you expand the TEC route by tapping on the FPL editor TEC route name object, tapping on expand, it will display the details of the alternate route. This is the form that the route is interpreted within ForeFlight as and also the form that is sent to a panel via FS210/FS510.

Back