Does foreflight have a "planning only" mode?

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
This is a minor annoyance but sometimes I like to do some "what if" flight planning for distant trips just to get a general idea of how long a flight would be, where I might want to plan fuel stops, nearby places I might want to stop in at since I'm close, etc....

For this purpose seeing current winds/weather is pointless. Also my realtime gps speed is also pointless I just want it to assume no wind and the default cruise airspeed in my profile. However it always wants to calculate for current wind... I can get around that usually by setting the departure time a few days ahead so it can't get wind data and defaults to my planned speed.... unless the gps gets the idea I'm moving(or I am moving) and decides to use my current real speed. OR there's a few minutes ago while our internet went down and it couldn't download wind data and refused to give any time estimates at all.

Yeah yeah sure I can just get the distance and divide by planned speed to get time but that kind of defeats some of the point of having an app like this.

Is there some kind of option to toggle(that is easy to un-toggle) to just turn off the current GPS and weather calculation and work in a pure "what-if" planning mode? If FF developers are reading this- can there be?

Can't you put "140kts" or whatever speed you want at the end of the route to force the ground speed calc? I think you can also add altitude there, but don't quote me on that.

I think if you put in 99,999 for the altitude it excludes all wind. Pretty sure I read that here on POA, then when I tried it, it worked.

I put the departure time to 1 week or more into the future, and then it has no wind data and works as you describe.

I have the really cheapskate version of Foreflight. I test plan flights all the time.

I think if you put in 99,999 for the altitude it excludes all wind. Pretty sure I read that here on POA, then when I tried it, it worked.

I put the departure time to 1 week or more into the future, and then it has no wind data and works as you describe.

Yep. Just enter things that are out of range for the weather, and it defaults to only doing the calculations that it can.

It'd be better if it was a button somewhere, but then someone would leave it set that way with a 40 knot headwind aloft, and run out of gas and have to use the Glide Advisor. :)

Back