Does FAA look at previous medical exam?

I

Ijustwannafly

I applied for a private pilot license in 2002 but was denied due to a history of seizures. I Have not had any seizures now for 15 years. I am wanting to apply again. If the AME passes me will the FAA look to see if I had applied before?

I'm pretty sure that's a "have you ever" question on the application. So....your real question is, if I lie can I get away with it.

There was a student pilot who filed an application and a question came up. He decided to withdraw the application rather than respond to the questions raised. Years later, he filed a new application and got a letter that essentially said, "whatever happened with those questions we raised back then?" I don't recall exactly, but best I can recall, it was more than 10 years earlier.

You should not lie on your application. The fact that you think you can do so if you thought you could get away with it doesn't bode well for your future.

As for the question that you should be asking, what are your chances of issuance if you are truthful? Well, that would depend on the nature of the seizures. Some are issuable over time; some will require a FAA special issuance. A good AME can steer you the right way as to what tests the FAA is going to want to make that decision (to your best advantage).

Wow. You guys are spring loaded to jump to the negative right off the bat, aren't you. Why not just answer the question?

Best answer here was Mark's. But to add to that, if you have any doubts at all, schedule an appointment with the AME for the purpose of a CONSULTATION and bring up your concerns. Then do what he recommends.

My apologies if the OP's intent was different, but the way the question was asked, it sure sounded like there was a hope they could avoid mentioning the previous medical history.

Last edited:
I think that hoping you won't need to mention something is different than knowing you need to mention it and wondering what the chances are of getting caught. The OP probably hasn't seen a medical application in 14 years.

OP. Answer every question on the application honestly. Be totally honest with your AME. You may want to prepare in advance of filling out the application by visiting the AME to ask what documentation he will need from your primary physician regarding your seizures and the treatment regiment you are on if any.

OP. Answer every question on the application honestly. Be totally honest with your AME. You may want to prepare in advance of filling out the application by visiting the AME to ask what documentation he will need from your primary physician regarding your seizures and the treatment regiment you are on if any.

Do that BEFORE you put pencil to paper on the application. You do NOT want to start the application process before you have the answers. The word "may" in the above statement is the wrong word to use. You MUST prepare in advance.

Best answer here was Mark's.
I disagree. Answering NO to the part 18 question when you know that isn't true is not the answer. Saying, "I forgot" when they catch you isn't going to work especially in the light of an omitted disqualifying condition. The question he asked is MOOT. He should not lie on the application whether or not the FAA is going crosscheck the previous applications or not. If they find out. The risks are EXTREMELY HIGH if you are caught lying.

I disagree. Answering NO to the part 18 question when you know that isn't true is not the answer. Saying, "I forgot" when they catch you isn't going to work especially in the light of an omitted disqualifying condition. The question he asked is MOOT. He should not lie on the application whether or not the FAA is going crosscheck the previous applications or not. If they find out. The risks are EXTREMELY HIGH if you are caught lying.

I don't see where Mark's post suggested anything of the sort.

And for what it is worth, I agree with your post here.

I don't see where Mark's post suggested anything of the sort.

And for what it is worth, I agree with your post here.
I was trying to figure out that one too :dunno:

"Do they check?" "Yes, here's an example."

I guess he assumes if you answer a question directly it means you approve of the conduct he assumes the OP want to engage in.

I assumed nothing. He probably objected because he assumed everything, negatively, of course.

Last edited:
Of course they "CHECK". It's part of your Federal Medical RECORD. The AME will not issue, but will defer the application. I too picked up the tone of "I would like to maybe leave it off". But that is not an option. I would remind you of a motion picture director named Roman Polanski. Google him. He's always fighting extradition. The Feds never forget.

Now, if you had epileptic seizures and have had no medication and have had four years without another event, you will need:

(1) Current evaluative visit with a board certified neurologist. He has to verify the history, agree and have no findings on a good exam.
(2) Current EEG (awake/asleep)
(3) Current Brain MRI.
Nine years after the event, if all are well, you can be issued BY THE AGENCY.

If, you had but one seizure, then you may not need 2 and 3. But it is your burden to prove lifelong (without observational break) that you have had one and only one- and you would not remember then, right? But you certainly will need #1 and the AME is NOT permitted to issue you. You get deferred.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back