Does ATC know if you are IR'ed?

Discussion in 'Change to my Frequency...' started by AlphaMike, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Radar Contact

Radar Contact Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kevin
    It’s in the National order. Just depends on if the controller thinks you are having weather difficulties or not.

10-2-8
    a. If a VFR aircraft requests radar assistance when it encounters or is about to encounter IFR weather conditions, ask the pilot if he/she is qualified for and capable of conducting IFR flight.
    b. If the pilot states he/she is qualified for and capable of IFR flight, request him/her to file an IFR flight plan and then issue clearance to destination airport, as appropriate.

I do this semi-regularly and have never been sent off to file. When I’m controlling I don’t send them off either and just input it at the scope. Some (seems like center folks) are told that you need to send them off to have all the emergency info on file (i.e. fuel, SOB, etc).

2. Palmpilot

Palmpilot Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    I think the last time I did it was in the summer of 2018 on the Oregon coast. I had been receiving VFR advisories from Seattle Center, and told them that the weather was deteriorating and I would need an IFR clearance unless I turned back. This was granted with no questions regarding my qualifications.

Radar Contact likes this.
  3. TommyG

TommyG Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom
    Does ATC know if someone is past due for their BFR? We all fly on the honor system. 99.5% of us fly legally and follow the rules. It’s that other percentage that makes us all look bad.

4. MooneyDriver78

MooneyDriver78 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom
    In Palm beach I was asked, the conditions were below minimums (fog), it took 3 approaches. ATC seemed concerned, I was happy to get the practice.

5. gsengle

gsengle Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Gsengle
    I suppose you missed the part where they don’t know who you are. ATC isn’t FAA enforcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. BrianNC

BrianNC En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    BrianATL
    I think that might have actually been his point.

RyanB likes this.
  7. Doug Reid

Doug Reid Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doug Reid
    When you take your plane in for an annual inspection, have you ever verified your mechanic has an A&P/IA...do you ever go online to see that your instructor has his CFII..I bet not. Most people trust that they are dealing with reputable individuals...not to say abuse does not occur.

8. Kenny Phillips

Kenny Phillips En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kenny Phillips
    Fifty years ago my pop told me that if someone was a decent pilot and followed all of the rules, they could fly a lifetime without every interacting with the FAA. Including bothering to get any ratings. At all. He told me this because a semi-famous local pilot learned to fly from his dad, and never had so much as a student ticket.
    The one-and-only time I had to "air file" I wasn't asked, either, but that was a couple of decades ago.

9. Palmpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    There was probably some luck involved. It took many years before I was ramp-checked, but it eventually did happen.

Kenny Phillips likes this.
  10. AlphaMike

AlphaMike Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    AlphaMike
    I too have only been ramp checked once. It was when I landed at the airport to meet the DPE for my PPL check ride. I don't know if the DPE set that up or not, but I was defiantly a little nervous! In the end it was really no big deal.

11. Palmpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    I don't think it's a good idea to be defiant during a ramp-check! ;)

Huckster79 likes this.
  12. Jim K

Jim K Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim
    Well, I do, but I'm weird, and atc would have to be pretty slow to look everyone up on the faa registry lol.

Before I was IR I was twice offered pop up clearances while on flight following. Obviously I was truthful and told them I'd be turning around as I wasn't rated, but it would've been real easy to accept. Now if you weren't trained, it'd be hard to keep up the ruse. I'm curious about what they do with pilots who are on a clearance, but don't know what they're doing. I assume they'd issue a deviation and let the FSDO sort it out?

13. asicer

asicer Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    asicer
    How did it go? What did they check? I assume it was more than whether you were standing on a ramp.

14. AlphaMike

AlphaMike Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    AlphaMike
    As far as I can remember... He just checked my SPL and medical then looked at the air worthiness cert, POH and such. We talked for probably 15 min, then I told him I was here to take my check ride.. he shook my hand and told me good luck. That was about it.

15. Palmpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    When he said he was ramp-checking me, I showed him my pilot and medical certificates, my photo ID, and the registration and airworthiness certificates for the airplane. Everything was cordial. The only problem is that it was at Lancaster, Cal., and the wind was howling. (As always!) Fortunately, the only thing I lost to the wind was a non-essential and easily-replaceable document.

When I told him who I was renting the plane from, he said, "That's a good outfit," which surprised me, because his base in Van Nuys is about 400 miles from where I rented the plane!

16. midwestpa24

midwestpa24 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    midwestpa24
    He was waiting to see if you would call it a tarmac. Its a trick question.

17. Palmpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    And if you call your pilot certificate a "license," he will take it away from you! ;)

BrianNC likes this.
  18. LesGawlik

LesGawlik Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Les
    Definitely not defiant.

19. Wrench978

Wrench978 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Wrench978

you gotta screw up pretty bad to get a number to call, at least around my area. unapproved climb or descent, WAY off course, etc.

I would guess the people who accept a pop up IFR clearance are those who have enough experience to fake it.