does anyone use Openairplane or similar

I don't know how specific OA gets on those. Garmin vs Avidine? Different models of Garmin (G1000 v G500)? Down to the software revision level:yikes:?

Thanks for the question Grant.

We bifurcate between airframe and avionics.

A Skyhawk is a Skyhawk is a Skyhawk...
...unless it has a G1000.

So, to answer your question in specific, someone who is checked out to fly a G1000 would need to get checked out again to fly another airplane equipped with the G500... but only fly a single checkout to reset the clock on everything previously demonstrated.

So an annual UPC in an G1000 equipped 172, plus an abbreviated UPC in a round dial 182, would give you rental privileges in both glass and steam gauge Skyhawks and Skylanes. (2 checkouts 4 kinds of airplanes to fly.)

In 12 months, fly another annual UPC in a G1000 equipped DA40, and now you'd have 6 distinct airframe / avionics combos you could rent through us for another 12 months.

It's complicated as we explore the edge cases, but we're always happy to take your phone call to talk it through.

We posted a FAQ about this here:

https://openairplane.zendesk.com/entries/23643352-What-s-the-difference-between-an-Annual-and-Abbreviated-Checkout-

An Annual Universal Pilot Checkout is required every 12 months to maintain flying privilages with OpenAirplane.

An Abbreviated UPC allows a Pilot who is already checked out to fly with OpenAirplane, to add rental privileges in an additional make / model, which focuses on differences, (with a big emphasis on Part 2 of the POH) and demonstrating competency in the additional airframe. An abbreviated UPC is takes less time than an annual UPC, saving time and money by skipping coverage of redundant to knowledge and skills demonstrated in the annual checkout.

EXAMPLE: A Pilot who completes an annual UPC in a round dial 172, could complete an abbreviated UPC in a glass panel 172, and therefor be able to rent either make / model.​

Since that looks a heck of a lot like a Form 5, do the types translate similarly? Will my CAP 182/G1000 Form 5 get me privileges on a 172, like CAPR 60-1 allows for? Note that CAWG doesn't have 172s, so there is no way to get an abbreviated Form 5 for a 172 reasonably.

I'm also not sure it's a great idea to go up without at least a very short orientation in a plane and specific area.

The idea of Open Airplane is that you get checked out model by model--and rent anywhere with that credential. As regards orientation in a specific area, what about adventure? What about going some place new you've never been before? It's something any PPL theoretically should be able to do with a sectional and watch… and now GPS really simplifies things…

I recently spent two days in Ireland doing precisely this (my GPS off, VOR inop), using eyeballs, heading indicator, time and a 1:250,000 scale map. Lots of fun. It's amazing how much more in touch you are with where you are when you do it that way, than following the magenta line.

FWIW I'm registered but have never used Open Airplane. Strikes me as a great idea.

When I rent out of town, an hour is very short. If you're just going to do a few laps, just take the instructor along and you're done. The most recent one was three hours for a cross country across LA.

And it's a lot more than $30. I can get a local 172 for $115. Just, OA has no N or P models. And their cheapest is $165.

To me OpenAirplane is not for renting locally, and all this whining and complaining seems kinda silly to me cause I'm just not seeing what you're bitching about. I just went on there and pulled up airplanes in places I might actually visit. First off was Cape Cod, where I just flew myself, with much time and expense. There is an N model available (which you say OA doesn't have) it has steam gauges and rents for $138/hr. Similar planes near home rent for $115-120/hr, but you have to be a club member, so to me that extra $18 is a small penalty for being able to show up and fly while on vacation.

Seems prices vary a lot depending on location and equipment, but you'll find that anywhere you go, not just OA. And personally, if I'm on vacation I dont wanna blow a bunch of time getting checked out so I can do a 1 hour scenic flight.

To me OpenAirplane is not for renting locally, and all this whining and complaining seems kinda silly to me cause I'm just not seeing what you're bitching about. I just went on there and pulled up airplanes in places I might actually visit. First off was Cape Cod, where I just flew myself, with much time and expense. There is an N model available (which you say OA doesn't have) it has steam gauges and rents for $138/hr. Similar planes near home rent for $115-120/hr, but you have to be a club member, so to me that extra $18 is a small penalty for being able to show up and fly while on vacation.

Seems prices vary a lot depending on location and equipment, but you'll find that anywhere you go, not just OA. And personally, if I'm on vacation I dont wanna blow a bunch of time getting checked out so I can do a 1 hour scenic flight.

:yes: That is the appeal of OA to me as well.

Back