Does anyone still use the little brown book Flight Guide?

Pete392

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pete392
Or should I chuck it? Can’t see that they are around anymore; my last update was 2009. I guess redundant with other sources, but had useful stuff in it.

They are gone. They attempted to make the transition to digital but were late to the game with a poorly designed app. So much information has changed that I’d hesitate to rely on them, and I chucked mine as soon as they stopped publishing after I started using an EFB.

If you really miss those airport diagrams, Seattle Avionics bought them out. They form the basis of the customized airport diagrams in FlyQ.
1711625189014.png

Or should I chuck it? Can’t see that they are around anymore; my last update was 2009. I guess redundant with other sources, but had useful stuff in it.
The FAA does require a pilot to be familiar with all available information, but I don’t think they mean from 2009.

Donated that and most of my Jepps binders to the local Young Eagles years ago. I wonder if they are still on the bookshelve.

Wow--that's a nice airport diagram. Never seen that style before.

Those were good little books.

Just a month or two ago, I was at a used bookstore we have here.... a huge rambling collection of books scattered through a maze of shelves. I hadn't been there in years, but took my kids there and they had a blast roaming through the place

Anyway, I of course landed in the aviation section...and had a good laugh seeing a few copies of these little guides on the shelf. Showed them to my kids and explained the update process that I'd regularly go through.

I might still have a copy at home, but I think I tossed them long ago

I liked the fact it told you where the businesses were on field.

Years ago my wife's instructor told her: NO GPS during training. We were flying an ex-Embry Riddle plane (Riddle 73 for those who still have their ERAU logbooks). It has an old VOR-DME RNAV in the thing. I showed my wife how to use the Brown book's entries where they show you the distance/radial to the nearest VOR in the entry and punch that into the RNAV. She did it in front of her instructor and he was not impressed. He amended his instruction to: NO RNAV OF ANY FORM.

Yeah, I miss all of the extra information those Flight Guides provided. They let you know if there was a courtesy car on the field, the distance to local hotels and their phone numbers, how far it was to restaurants and cafes and all of the businesses on the field. There is no single source for all of that information any more. It's a shame. One of the electronic flight bags should partner with them to see if the data could be recreated and maintained for the tablets we all fly with these days. I'd pay extra for that!

I loved it in the early 2000s but I don't think I've used it since then.

Yeah, I miss all of the extra information those Flight Guides provided. They let you know if there was a courtesy car on the field, the distance to local hotels and their phone numbers, how far it was to restaurants and cafes and all of the businesses on the field. There is no single source for all of that information any more. It's a shame. One of the electronic flight bags should partner with them to see if the data could be recreated and maintained for the tablets we all fly with these days. I'd pay extra for that!

Attachments

• IMG_1188.png
    IMG_1188.png
    588.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1189.png
    IMG_1189.png
    592.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1190.png
    IMG_1190.png
    376.1 KB · Views: 18
I had one of them, great little book.

Anyone know when they started? And if there is an interesting story behind them?

AirNav has that info

I had one back when they were a thing. Ditched it years ago when they were no longer maintained. I do miss them.

If they would come back in the electronic age, I would subscribe. Good info in a usable format.

Best if they would do it integrated into EFB and glass panels.

Back