Does anyone still fly with a Mode A transponder?

Dav8or

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
There are lots of NORDO planes, nearly everybody else has Mode C and more and more are getting Mode S, but are there any of us out there still buzzing around with Mode A?

There are lots of NORDO planes, nearly everybody else has Mode C and more and more are getting Mode S, but are there any of us out there still buzzing around with Mode A?

Most Mode-A-only transponders that were ever sold probably had their cavity tubes wear out and were scrapped aeons ago.

I don't know if there are any viable MODE A ONLY transponders out there, those probably also only have 64 codes rather than 4096. THere's really nothing magic about the transponder being able to respond to mode C interrogations other than it has to have an encoder connected to it. Back when I learned to fly in 1981, all our aircraft had mode A/C transponders, but none of them had encoders (DEN was only a Group II TCA at the time)

I've been asked to turn off Mode C when the encoder wasn't reflecting my true altitude. In essence I was using Mode A for that flight. So, "yes", it happens now and then. Now, the box was not pure Mode A, but... :D

Not a Mode A-only transponder, but I was flying Mode A without an encoder for several months after buying my current plane. Builder didn't need no steenkin Mode C...

Back