Does anyone know of Piper Arrow rentals near KRDU?

Michael Castle

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AlfaPilot
Good morning all, does anyone know of any Piper Arrow rentals around the RDU area? I got my commercial/HP/Complex in this type and would like to get back into one. It looks like there are plenty of DA-40/42’s but I have never flown one and I am a “classic low tech” kind of a pilot!
Many thanks!

Good morning all, does anyone know of any Piper Arrow rentals around the RDU area? I got my commercial/HP/Complex in this type and would like to get back into one. It looks like there are plenty of DA-40/42’s but I have never flown one and I am a “classic low tech” kind of a pilot!
Many thanks!

You can't get an HP endorsement in an Arrow.

Like @midlifeflyer said EQY, flightgest out of RDU use to have a Piper Arrow, but I believe it is gone. Doesn't show on website.

Please tell me that Cirrus is the Jet.. :eek2:

I believe stickwiglr is thinking of this transition: (from an AOPA article)

"Prior to August 1997, the FAA required a high-performance endorsement in order to act as pilot in command of an aircraft with more than 200 horsepower or that had retractable gear, flaps, and a controllable propeller. Many aircraft met this definition and were used to gain the training and endorsement, including the Cessna Cutlass 172RG, Cessna 182, and Piper Seminole, to name a few.

With the changes to Part 61 in August 1997, the FAA changed the definition of high performance and added a separate endorsement for complex aircraft. The definition of high performance is now "an airplane with an engine of more than 200 horsepower." This ruled out numerous aircraft, including many Mooneys (200 hp), Piper Seminoles (180 hp each engine) and most of the Piper Senecas (200 hp per engine). This seemingly simple change had a significant effect on the training industry. Many flight schools needed to add new aircraft to provide this training."

I believe stickwiglr is thinking of this transition: (from an AOPA article)

"Prior to August 1997, the FAA required a high-performance endorsement in order to act as pilot in command of an aircraft with more than 200 horsepower or that had retractable gear, flaps, and a controllable propeller. Many aircraft met this definition and were used to gain the training and endorsement, including the Cessna Cutlass 172RG, Cessna 182, and Piper Seminole, to name a few.

With the changes to Part 61 in August 1997, the FAA changed the definition of high performance and added a separate endorsement for complex aircraft. The definition of high performance is now "an airplane with an engine of more than 200 horsepower." This ruled out numerous aircraft, including many Mooneys (200 hp), Piper Seminoles (180 hp each engine) and most of the Piper Senecas (200 hp per engine). This seemingly simple change had a significant effect on the training industry. Many flight schools needed to add new aircraft to provide this training."
Maybe? That's why I asked.

I got my "high performance" endorsement in a 172RG in 1992. But that did not automatically entitle me to fly a 182 after August 1997 unless I also met the grandfather clause.

And it wasn't about 180 vs 200 HP.

Finding rentable retracts is getting very hard to do. Some schools that still have them even took out the back seat to make them cheaper to insure.

You might find it's time to move over to a TAA for rentals. I have avionics troglodyte syndrome myself, but have come to terms with the advantages of glass cockpits and have begun training in a G1000 sim in anticipation of a major panel update in the next year.

Finding rentable retracts is getting very hard to do. Some schools that still have them even took out the back seat to make them cheaper to insure.

You might find it's time to move over to a TAA for rentals. I have avionics troglodyte syndrome myself, but have come to terms with the advantages of glass cockpits and have begun training in a G1000 sim in anticipation of a major panel update in the next year.
If a TAA is an option, my flying club at TTA has three DA40s/G1000. And one of the flight schools may be acquiring an older 172 that's been substantially updated to a TAA.

edit: with a pair of G5s, a simpler steam gauge transition than a full G1000.

Last edited:
Back