Does anyone have their Instrument Ground Instructor cert?

Sport Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot
I just completed the Advanced Ground Instructor (AGA) course.

I am about to purchase the Instrument Ground Instructor (IGI) course?

Is there a study guide that shows the coursework cirriculum?

Is this coursework difficult?

Thank you.

It's almost identical to the instrument rating airplane test.

Thank you dmspilot.
It looks like the study guide is the FAA-H-8083-15, Instrument Flying Handbook.

Last edited:
Is this coursework difficult?

If you are an instrument-rated pilot, as @dmspilot mentions, it's the same as the Instrument Rating knowledge test. Therefore, the "difficulty" shouldn't be too bad, you've already passed an existing test with the same information.

I didn't want to assume that with a user name of "Sport Pilot" that you are therefore necessarily a Sport Pilot, but if you are, then I would have to say that all the same comments people make about the difficulty of the instrument knowledge test apply to the IGI too.

What is your purpose by taking this test? Of course it allows you to teach instrument ground school, but I can't imagine that would be very beneficial for the students if the teacher has no experience filing and flying IFR (if that's the case).

I am a Sport Pilot. The training was minimal and I want to learn more in regards to aviation. The reason that I completed my AGA and will be completing the IGI is that I enjoy studying and learning new things. These are the reasons I took the AGA and that I want to take the IGI.

Bravo for wanting to learn more

I would get with a cfi and go up in an ifr rated plane and get some ifr/imc
Experience, it would certainly help understanding the materials.

I’m going to be taking my IGI soon also, Just because I can’t fly and get ready for CFI for a while. Trying to keep my brain stimulated in aviation a bit

It's almost identical to the instrument rating airplane test.
If we pass the IGI, do we still need take a separate knowledge test for the Instrument Rating? Can’t find any guidance on this.

14 CFR 61.213 (Ground Instructor reqs) references test of knowledge required in 61.65 (Instrument Rating Reqs), so I wonder if that’s possible. It makes sense that if you pass the test to teach it, it would satisfy the knowledge requirement to fly it.

If we pass the IGI, do we still need take a separate knowledge test for the Instrument Rating? Can’t find any guidance on this.

14 CFR 61.213 (Ground Instructor reqs) references test of knowledge required in 61.65 (Instrument Rating Reqs), so I wonder if that’s possible. It makes sense that if you pass the test to teach it, it would satisfy the knowledge requirement to fly it.
Whether it makes sense or not is irrelevant, you still need to take the separate knowledge test for the instrument rating.

One test for each rating, can’t double up

The trick is, take the IA, IIA, IGI all at the same time. They are pretty much the same exam.

Ground Instructors who are not also Flight Instructors can sign up for a free account on Sporty's Flight Instructor portal using your GI certificate number. For the expiration date just set it for 24 months from the registration date. In addition to free access to their PPL, instrument, and commercial courses, you can also use their electronic Flight Instructor Refresher Course to meet the Ground Instructor recency experience mandated by 14 CFR 61.217.

Back