Does anybody else hear very high pitch sounds?

TheGolfPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Golfpilot
something is making a revolving high pitch sound in my house and even playing a video or sound in the background doesn't tune it out. Then the fact that nobody else hears it drives me even more nuts as well as makes me look nuts. Its hard to track down but when I do that item is getting replaced after I Gronk slam it into the ground....

When that happens to me it always turns out to be either a smoke detector with battery going bad or my own tinnitus.

Things like that used to bother me. Not quite ultrasonic alarms were often the culprit in the past. Bad switching power supplies are another source.

I hear it all the time and not just in my house.

I also hear voices in my head while flying, and I do what those voices tell me to do.........:lol::lol:

Surround sound on the Tv maybe..???

something is making a revolving high pitch sound in my house and even playing a video or sound in the background doesn't tune it out. Then the fact that nobody else hears it drives me even more nuts as well as makes me look nuts. Its hard to track down but when I do that item is getting replaced after I Gronk slam it into the ground....
When you talk about it being high pitched, do you mean near the extremes of how high a pitch you can hear? Some people can hear higher pitches than others.

Old TVs or monitors with cathode ray tubes emit noises in the 12-18 kHz range. Some security systems use ultrasonic "beams" as trips for the alarms. Hearing acuity in this range is usually gone by the time one is a teen. Or you could just have tinnitus. Do you hear it away from home?

Another vote for tinnitus. Or a new vote for schizophrenia. Ask one of your selves to pick a diagnosis. ;)

Say what? I can hear but your words are distorted. I may have tinnitus and hearing aids only make the distortion louder. They are no help.

Find a young person ie 12 yrs old to tell you where it is. They have much better audio acuity than adults.
You said in your house so I presume other quiet places, you do not hear it - making the problem 'not you' but the environment.

Find a young person ie 12 yrs old to tell you where it is. They have much better audio acuity than adults.
You said in your house so I presume other quiet places, you do not hear it - making the problem 'not you' but the environment.
I can only imagine how that Craigslist ad would go :D

Leaking Furnace air vent?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

not high pitch noises but watching this football game, every time they switch camera shots from a replay to live it makes a cricket sound and it's driving me up a freakin wall

Old TVs or monitors with cathode ray tubes emit noises in the 12-18 kHz range. Some security systems use ultrasonic "beams" as trips for the alarms. Hearing acuity in this range is usually gone by the time one is a teen. Or you could just have tinnitus. Do you hear it away from home?
you're not going to hear anything untrasonic.

that's why they call it ultrasonic...

not high pitch noises but watching this football game, every time they switch camera shots from a replay to live it makes a cricket sound and it's driving me up a freakin wall

something is making a revolving high pitch sound in my house and even playing a video or sound in the background doesn't tune it out.
Your coffee maker needs cleaning. I had one helluva time trying to track down a very high pitched noise that was driving me BSC. Thought it might have been one of the smoke detectors. Nope... looked around the house and still couldn't find the source. I go into the kitchen and start looking around and bend my ear down toward all the appliances and sure enough, the coffee maker was making the sound and had a red light blinking. I unplug it and the sound stops. I plug it back in and the sound began again. Had to do a google search on how to clean the pot and silence the "alarm". All is good now as I have the procedure down pat.

Everyone in my house heard a high pitched sound, except me. Drove them crazy for about 2 weeks.
Finally discovered it was my Blackberry cellphone charger.

I had the same problem, so I dumped her, high pitch sounds are gone now.

So you’re saying kids can hear us, but they just don’t listen? Got it.

I had a 20 yo in the truck with me, hot day/fan on high. They said, "omg how can you stand that whining (fan)??" I said, "what whine?"
You find on the internet audio examples where 90% over the age of 40 cannot hear a tone but anyone under 20 can.

I had a 20 yo in the truck with me, hot day/fan on high. They said, "omg how can you stand that whining (fan)??" I said, "what whine?"
You find on the internet audio examples where 90% over the age of 40 cannot hear a tone but anyone under 20 can.

When I got my hearing aids all of a sudden my car started making all kinds of abnormal screeching rattling noises.

A good sensitive microphone and an oscilloscope will provide evidence it's real or just in your head (like tinnitus).

Failing wall wart is another possibility. They whine when they get old. Kinda like a lot of people I know.

Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back