Do you wear aviation Hawaiian type shirts?

John Baker

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John Baker
When I first started flying, my brother gifted me one for Christmas. I wore it a couple of times until a retired Navy Jet Jockey came into my store. His quick little smirk was unavoidable. He never said anything about it, but I never wore it again. San Diego has one heck of a lot of pilots, military and civilian, yet I've never seen anyone wearing those garish shirts other than myself those few times.

So, do you own one? Do you wear it?

John

I've got a few, and they basically come out if I'm going to party!!!

While I may have a leisure suit buried in the attic somewhere, I don't own or wear any "Hawaiian type shirts" of any theme.

I have multiple. They don't come out all that often, but if/when I wear them, I really don't give a rat's ***s what anyone else (let alone a jet jockey) thinks of them. I wear what I want to.

Plus, he may have just been smiling because you reminded him of stuff that happened on R&R on shore somewhere halfway around the world, that he'll never talk about. :rofl:

I've a bunch. I usually buy one a year at the Show. Probably about how often I wear them too.

Not sure I know what this looks like. Googling "Hawaiian Aviation Shirt" led to some fairly garish shirts with aircraft on them. If that's what we're talking about then no. However I do have 2 silk island shirts without the aircraft and wear them in the summer once in a while. It's a bit more of a clubber style than suits my personality, but works for the right occasion.

It helps if you live somewhere that people routinely wear Hawaiian-style shirts.

Here on the island, it's rare to see someone wearing anything but -- so (except for the airplanes, instead of fish) we tend to blend right in.

In Iowa, we looked pretty odd. :rolleyes:

I'm from FL. Tropical shirts are in my genes.

No. Not even in Hawaii.

Many and often.
Usually in the winter to brighten up people's spirits.
Works too!:goofy:

What's the difference between a regular Hawaiian shirt and an aviation Hawaiian shirt?

What's the difference between a regular Hawaiian shirt and an aviation Hawaiian shirt?

The pattern on the shirt.

I have several Hawaiian shirts. All are muted patterns, as recommended by a cousin who has lived on Oahu since the late 1940s. Fast way to tell the tourists from the locals. They do wear them there, just not the bright patterns.

Aviation Hawaiian shirt? No, I don't have one and wouldn't wear it if I did.

My nicest aviation Hawaiian shirt was purchased at the Pacific Air Museum in Hawaii. Figured it was a good cause.

It's not really that obnoxious but probably more touristy than stuff I saw locals wearing.

When I first started flying, my brother gifted me one for Christmas. I wore it a couple of times until a retired Navy Jet Jockey came into my store. His quick little smirk was unavoidable. He never said anything about it, but I never wore it again.
You would let some retired Navy Jet Jockey influence what you wear? :rofl:

Disclaimer, I often fly with one (a retired Navy Jet Jockey, not a Hawaiian shirt) and we spar all the time, mostly in good fun.

Like one of these? :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• P6120017-Resize.JPG
    P6120017-Resize.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 39
I try to wear wool when I fly ;)

I wear Hawaiian type shirts when its warm enough, which isn't often. Never landed one with airplanes on it though.

Not my style so I don't have any. If I did, I wouldn't give a fig about what someone else thought. I've lived long enough to earn my choice in clothing.

I have several wear them all the time. A friend of mine and Nate's pointed out to me the proper term is Aviation Aloha Shirts....

If you find some cool ones to buy let me know I need a few more. Especially like them with Sea Planes on them.

Mike

Yes, I wear such garb.

As time goes by, I find I care less what others think of such things. If I can embarrass my son just a little, my day is complete! :D

Visiting Chicago one year when I was about 10. I was crossing the street with a bunch of other kids when the crossing guard threatned to report me for not dressing properly. Obviously she thought I was one of the local school kids. All I had on were some shorts and a colored T-shirt with a band of hibiscus flowers. Barefoot. She especially made mention of the T-shirt, saying I should have a collered button down shirt.

The next day I appeared at her crossing barefoot, in shorts, but this time wearing one of my Aloha shirts. She flashed an unapproving look but I piped up to say I wore a collered button down shirt just for her. She half smiled.

My mom made all my shirts since I could remember. I used to go to Hilo Hatties to pick out material. I'd make buttons from either coconut husk or Koa wood or shells off the beach. Aloha shirts are even more big time nowadays.

Maybe they have aloha shirts with cornfields for those in the plains states.:rofl:

Yes, I have a closet full of Aloha shirts.

Back