Do you use the Flight Path Marker (FPM) on your EFIS PFD?

Bill Watson

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MauleDriver
My experimental EFIS displays a FPM on the PFD display. I assume this is option on all or most EFISs. I’ve found myself using it constantly in IMC and a first reference in VMC.

The FPM is sort of a velocity vector that shows where your aircraft is headed based on horizontal and vertical speed, heading, and wind. I have seen it talked about most commonly with HUDs where the FPM would overlay that point in front of you that is not changing position on the windscreen, the point that is only getting larger. It does the same when overplayed on a SV display.

Do you have it displayed? Do you use it? How do you use it? Color me curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It’s on by default on the Perspective Avionics (G1000) in my plane. It’s a nice to have not a must have but cool to show where you are tracking when landing. It’s cool with a big crosswind to see the nose pointed to the side of the runway but the donut right on the threshold.
02A7DDD6-7B80-475B-A314-A235BD801B13.jpeg
This isn’t a great example since there is no crosswind but you can see it on the runway threshold.

Photo credit @Tantalum

The FPM is sort of a velocity vector
I didn’t realize there was a difference.
They are useful for maintaining an altitude, and I use them for establishing the proper glide path for instrument and visual approaches. It kind of replaces VSI in my scan. It also makes tracking centerline easier in a crosswind.
But I’ve only used them in HUDs, not on an EFIS.

Oh yes. On a VOR approach with the CDI swaying it's super nice to have the FPM planted right above the threshold. Good to know that it's the signal that's scalloping and not me.

When the winds shift on an ILS, I often notice it on the FPM before I see it on the needles.

I didn’t realize there was a difference.
They are useful for maintaining an altitude, and I use them for establishing the proper glide path for instrument and visual approaches. It kind of replaces VSI in my scan. It also makes tracking centerline easier in a crosswind.
But I’ve only used them in HUDs, not on an EFIS.

Probably the same thing, I’ve never used a HUD.

I’m guessing they are at least configurable are on any EFIS with Synthetic Vision.

Once I intercept the localizer, and then the glide slope, I find the FPM becomes ‘primary’ in my scan with the needles, especially the GS needle becoming a cross check. Nothing like putting the FPM on the touchdown zone and just keeping it there.

What I can’t seem to get integrated into my flying is use of the flight director. If I’m using it, I might as well just let Otto do it. If I’m hand flying, the Flight Director seems like cheating... until you have the programming screwed up and the Director becomes your worse enemy.

What I can’t seem to get integrated into my flying is use of the flight director. If I’m using it, I might as well just let Otto do it. If I’m hand flying, the Flight Director seems like cheating... until you have the programming screwed up and the Director becomes your worse enemy.

You got a TOGA button?

You got a TOGA button?

Yes I do but if I get the programming screwed it may not be time to go around... just time to clear the automation, put my hands on the stick and fly the approach.

Flight path marker on an auto trim airplane makes for the easiest steep turns on an ATP checkride. Just put the marker on the zero path reference line and you're pretty much done. It won't descend in the turn because you have commanded that your path remain level.

Practice 0-0 takeoffs with your CFII. :)

But if you need to go missed in actual, it's a bit of a shortcut.

I guess I don’t have a Takeoff and GA button, just a Go-Around button. That sounds

Now I want to see if I can coax my AP into a steep turn to watch the auto trim do its thing.... sounds like some neat automation on the big equipment.

My experimental EFIS displays a FPM on the PFD display. I assume this is option on all or most EFISs. I’ve found myself using it constantly in IMC and a first reference in VMC.

The FPM is sort of a velocity vector that shows where your aircraft is headed based on horizontal and vertical speed, heading, and wind. I have seen it talked about most commonly with HUDs where the FPM would overlay that point in front of you that is not changing position on the windscreen, the point that is only getting larger. It does the same when overplayed on a SV display.

I initially thought you were talking about the track vector which is also an option on many systems (and even ForeFlight). Now I think you mean the little "target circle" that shows where you're going on the PFD, right?

I've not had one in an actual airplane yet, but I have used it on X-Plane for iOS. Pretty cool. Very much looking forward to having it on the G500TXi that I'm hoping to buy in the next couple years.

I initially thought you were talking about the track vector which is also an option on many systems (and even ForeFlight). Now I think you mean the little "target circle" that shows where you're going on the PFD, right?

I've not had one in an actual airplane yet, but I have used it on X-Plane for iOS. Pretty cool. Very much looking forward to having it on the G500TXi that I'm hoping to buy in the next couple years.

Yes, the little

Too bad Apple changed things on the iPad so that an app call HGS Flight from Rockwell Collins no longer runs. It let you fly the FPM to a mountain airport and scored your flying. It was a bit of free fun for awhile but that’s where I first learned of the FPM.

We had something similar on the B757/767. You could use your speed brakes etc and put the green ring on a fix and know you would make. If it changes then you need to adjust to keep it there. Especially useful on a non precision approach. Adjust so that it was about a mile from the runway and voila! You had precise VDP and rate of descent how goes it

I had a difficult time with that as well because I sensed that following the FD while hand flying sapped my SA. I would spend too much time staring at it and would let the big picture stuff drop out. I got barked at once to “follow the flight director” when I was trying to treat a big plane like a little plane while hand flying a departure. Like everything else, it comes with practice.

Back